Yuexiu (越秀, Yuht sau in Cantonese, Yuèxiù in Mandarin) is a central district in Guangzhou. The old walled city of Guangzhou was here, though it has been mostly redeveloped. Yuexiu is now the political and cultural center of Guangzhou, with many museums, holy sites, and urban parks.
Dongshan (东山, Dūng sāan in Cantonese, Dōngshān in Mandarin) district was merged into Yuexiu in 2005.
- 1 Guangzhou Railway Station (广州站). Guangzhou railway station is in the northwest corner of Yuexiu. You can take the metro to other parts of the district.
Metro Line 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 serve Yuexiu. Almost all the district is within walking distance of a metro station.
- 1 Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall (中山纪念堂 Zhōng-shān-jì-niàn-táng), Dongfeng Middle Road (Metro 2 Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, exit C). 08:00-18:00. Dedicated to the founder of the Republic of China and local hero Dr. Sun Yat-Sen. It was constructed in 1931 and built on the original site of Sun Yat-sen's presidential office on Yuexiu Hill. Admission is free for the park and ¥10 to go inside the hall.
- 2 Xiaobei / Siu Bak (小北 Xiǎoběi / "Little Africa") (Metro Line 5, Xiaobei Station). Likely Guangzhou's most diverse neighborhood, with banners here written in at least 4 languages: Chinese, English, French and Arabic. You'll find delicious Middle Eastern and Uyghur restaurants on the main street Baohan Zhijie (宝汉直街), before you meander into side streets full of Africans. Even the Chinese salespeople here have thick African accents when they speak English. You may feel like you're in Africa, but this is Guangzhou.
- 3 Ancient City Wall (In Yuexiu Park). Built in 1380, the city wall used to surround the entire city. But in the early 20th century it was torn down for redevelopment, except for a 1-km long section in Yuexiu Park. The wall reaches up to 10-m high. In some parts, there are trees growing from the top of the wall with their roots spreading picturesquely down the wall.
- 4 Yuexiu Park (越秀公园 Yuè-xiù-gōng-yuán) (Metro 2 Yue Xiu Park Station, exit B1). 06:00-18:00. The largest urban park in China and is a lush green area that flows over acres of hills and includes several lakes. It includes the Ming Dynasty Zhenhai Tower (镇海楼) zhèn-hǎi-lóu, now home to the Guangzhou Museum with relics on five floors dating back 5,000 years ago and an up-to-date miniature of modern Guangzhou. ¥10. 09:00 - 11:30, 13:00 - 17:00. Also check out the Stone Statue of the Five Rams (五羊石像), the symbol of Guangzhou (See Understand). Free.
- 5 Guangzhou Martyrs' Memorial Garden (广州起义烈士陵园 Guǎng-zhōu-qǐ-yì-liè-shì-líng-yuán), Zhongshan 2nd Road (中山二路) (Metro 1 Martyrs' Park Station, exit D). 06:00-22:00. This park is dedicated to those who fought and died in the Communist Uprising in 1927. Free.
- 6 East Ho Chung River Greenway (东濠涌, Green Walk), Yuexiu District, under the (Metro 1, Peasant Movement Institute). This small river flowing through Yuexiu has been cleaned up, and is now home to a walking path. It is under the Donghaoyong Elevated Road motorway.
- 7 Huanghua Gang Commemoration Park (黄花岗公园 Huáng-huā-gǎng-gōng-yuán), 79 Xianlie Middle Road (先烈中路79号), ☏ . 06:00-20:30. This is a park that will set you in a poignant mood. The main attraction is the monument built to commemorate the 72 martyrs who died during the 1911 uprising. Free.
- Ersha Island is an attractive upscale area with lots of green open space. Towards its east end are the Museum of Art and the Concert Hall, see listings.
- 8 Shishi Sacred Heart Catholic Cathedral (石室圣心大教堂 Shí-shì-shèng-xīn-jiào-táng), 56 Yide Rd (德路旧部前) (Metro 2 Haizhu Square, exit B1). M-F 08:30-11:30 and 14:30-17:30; Sa Su 08:30-17:00. Built in the 1860s, it is one of the oldest church structures in the city, and the largest of its kind of Southern China. It is used for worship. Free.
- 9 Liurong Temple (六榕寺 Liù-róng-sì), 87 Liurong Rd (六榕路) (Metro 1 Gongyuanqian, exit I). The Temple of Six Banyan Trees, which includes the 17-story, eight-sided Hua Ta, or Flowering Pagoda, is one of the most popular attractions in Guangzhou. The temple dates back to the 6th century, while the pagoda predates it by about 300 years. Free.
- 10 Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Temple) (光孝寺 Guāng-xiào-sì), 109 Guangxiao Rd (光孝路) (Metro 1 Ximenkou, exit C). As the sixth patriarch of Zen Buddhism, Hui Neng, trained at this temple in the 7th century, it is a popular pilgrimage site for Zen Buddhists. The temple has been destroyed several times by fire, and the current buildings date back to the mid-19th century. ¥5.
- Wu Xian Guan Temple (五仙观 Wǔ-xiān-guān), Huifu West Road (惠福西路) (Metro 1 Ximenkou, exit C). ¥5.
- 11 Huaisheng Mosque (怀圣寺 Huáishèngsì, Lighthouse Mosque), 56 Guangta Rd (光塔路) (Metro 1 Ximenkou, exit C). Guangzhou's main mosque, said to be have been built in 626 CE during the Tang dynasty, which would make it one of the oldest mosques in the world. In front is an enormous, distinctive minimalist minaret. Across the street are a handful of halal restaurants and shops where you might hear snatches of conversation in Uyghur. Free.
- 12 Sanyuan Temple (三元宫 Sān-yuán-gōng), Yingyuan Road (Metro 2 Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, exit C). This is the largest and oldest Taoist temple in the city.
- Taoist temple. Five Fairy Taoist temple is in Hui Fu Xi Lu of the center of Guangzhou. It is the historical markers of that Guangzhou has been founded 2000 years.
Museums and galleries
- 13 Guangzhou City Art Museum (广州美术馆 guǎng-zhōu-měi-shù-guǎn), next to the Zhenhai Tower in Yuexiu Park (Metro 2 Yuexiu Park). This impressive gallery has more than 10,000 pieces of art work, including calligraphy, traditional Chinese paintings, sculptures and Tibetan Buddhist art (Thangka). ¥10 with visit to Guangzhou Museum (See Yuexiu Park).
- 14 Guangdong Museum of Art (广东美术馆 Guǎng-dōng-měi-shù-guǎn), 8 Yanyu Road (烟雨路8号), Er-Sha Island. Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. It focuses on contemporary Chinese art with particular emphasis on Guangdong artists. Personal ID is required to obtain free tickets at ticket office. Visitors are limited to 3000 a day. Admission fee for special exhibits. Free.
- 15 Museum of the Western Han Dynasty Mausoleum of the Nanyue King (西汉南越王博物馆), 867 Jiefang Road N. (解放北路878号) (Across from Yuexiu Park; Metro 2 Yuexiu Park, exit E), ☏ . 09:00-17:30. This is a tomb for the king of ancient South China during the Western Han era. ¥12.
- 16 Guangzhou Sculpture Park (广州雕塑公园 guǎng-zhōu-diāo-sù-gōng-yuán), Tongxin Road at the foot of Baiyun Mountain. Free.
- 17 Guangzhou Uprising Museum (广州起义旧址纪念馆), 200 Qiyi Rd (起义路200号) (Metro 1, 2 Gongyuanqian, exit J). Tu-F 09:00-12:00 and 13:30–16:30; Sa Su 10:00-16:30. The Museum is at the site of the first Communist government building. Free.
- 18 Guangzhou Zoo (Metro 6 Huanghuagang), ☏ . Extensive zoo, seems well-run. It incorporates Guangzhou Ocean World 广州海洋馆 , with over 200 kinds of fish and other rare ocean creatures.
- 19 Guangdong Revolutions History Museum (广东革命历史博物馆), 2 Lingyuan West Rd (陵园西路2号大院) (martyrs memorial park; Metro 1 Martyrs' Park, exit D). Sun Yat-Sen was sworn in here in 1921 as the president of Republic of China. The museum tells stories from the Opium War to the founding of the new China. Free.
- 20 Peasant Movement Institute (农民运动讲习所 Nóng-jiǎng-suǒ), 42 Zhongshan 4th Rd (中山四路42号) (Metro 1, Peasant Movement Institute, exit C). Tu-Su 09:00-16:30. This is the site of Communist training center founded by Mao Tse-tung in the 1920s. Now it is a museum covering China revolutionary history. Free.
- 21 Guangzhou Municipal Museum (In Yuexiu Park).
- 22 Guangdong Overseas Chinese Museum (广东华侨博物馆, Guangdong Museum of Chinese Nationals Living Abroad, Chinese Emigrant Museum), 32 Yanyu Road, Ersha Island (二沙岛烟雨路32号) (opposite the Guangdong Museum of Art), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:30-17:00, no admission after 16:30, closed on Mondays (public holidays excepted). Documents China's diaspora principally in the Americas. Free.
- Xinghai Concert Hall is on Ersha Island opposite the Museum of Art.
- 1 Beijing Lu Pedestrian Street (北京路步行街 Běijīng lù) (Metro: Beijing Road). This is the main shopping thoroughfare, a pedestrian street where most stores are open from 09:00-22:00. Avoid individuals who solicit pirated DVDs and imitation goods. Don't follow anyone into the small dark alleys in between buildings to see their goods. There's been a road here for many centuries, and enclosed in glass you can see the ruins of gates and brick roads from dynasties past, below the current street level.
- 2 China Plaza (中华广场 Zhōng-huá-guǎng-chǎng), 33 Zhongshan 3rd Rd (中山三路33号) (Metro 1 Martyrs' Park). This is another large shopping mall with brand name department stores, clothing stores, electronics stores and restaurants.
- 3 Friendship Store (广州友谊商店 Yǒu-yí-shāng-diàn), 369 Huanshi East Rd (环市东路369号) (Metro 5 Taojin). 09:45–21:45. It is one of the oldest department stores targeting foreigners in Guangzhou. You will also find its branches in Grandview Mall and Times Square on 28 Tianhe North Road (天河北路28号).
- 4 Wangfujing (王府井百货 Wáng-fǔ-jǐng), 40 Longlin Down Road (农林下路40号). 09:30AM–21:30. This is a branch of the famous department store in Beijing, featuring mid to high-end products.
- 5 (万菱广场 Wàn-líng-guǎng-chǎng), 39 Jiefang South Rd (解放南路39号) (Metro 2 Haizhu Square Exit B). At first glance, this looks like a regular shopping mall but it is actually a wholesale market. Each shop usually carries specific products with many selections of varieties. You will find products such as arts and crafts, jewelry, sporting goods, toys, key chains, collectibles and gifts of all types. Many store and boutique owners from all over the world come here to buy their products. You will get the best prices if you buy in bulk (usually 20 or more). Most shop owners will not bargain unless you buy in bulk. However, if you only buy small quantities, the prices are usually cheaper than elsewhere. Not to be confused with Onelink Centre in Tianhe.
- 6 Mayflower Plaza (五月花广场 Wǔ-yuè-huā-guǎng-chǎng), 68 Zhongshan 5th Road (中山五路68号), at the northern end of the Pedestrian Street (Metro 1 & 2 Gongyuanqian). This is a place where young people hang out and shop.
- 1 Liuhua Congee House (流花粥城), Renmin North Road (人民北路903号流花湖公园) (In Liuhua Park. Metro 2 Yuexiu Park), ☏ . Open 24 hours. Excellent dim sum and Cantonese porridge in beautiful surroundings.
- Four Seasons Restaurant (中国大酒店四季厅), 122 Liuhua Road (流花路122号中国大酒店) (Metro 2 Yuexiu Park Exit D2), ☏ . 11:00-14:30, 18:00-22:00. Classic Cantonese cuisine using fresh, quality ingredients. Renowned for its Roasted Suckling Pig and Peking Duck. Dim sum is served during lunch hours. ¥200 per person.
- Food Street Restaurant (中国大酒店食街), 122 Liuhua Road (流花路122号中国大酒店) (Metro 2 Yuexiu Park Exit D2), ☏ . 07:30-24:00. Serving local and regional cuisine, this casual restaurant resembles the open Kitchens of Old Canton. Try their famous wonton noodles, dim sum and fisherman's Congee.
- Lian Xiang Lou (莲香楼), 67 Dishifu Road (第十甫路67号), ☏ . M-F 06:30-22:00, Sa Su 06:30-23:00. Founded in 1889, Lian Xiang Lou is known for its tasty dim sum and pastries. There are now more than 20 bakery stores throughout the city.
- Cai Gen Xiang (菜根香), 167 Zhongshan 6th Road (中山六路167号) (Metro 1 Ximenkou), ☏ . 06:30-14:30, 17:00-21:00.
- 2 Yuan Yuan Su Shi (缘缘素食 Yuányuán Sùshí), 38-42 Jinghui Road (净慧路38-42号首层) (next to the Guangxiao Temple, Metro 1 Ximenkou). 06:30-14:30, 16:30-21:30. Vegetarian buffet. If it looks crowded, don't worry—there's more seating upstairs. ¥15.
- Banana Leaf (GZTV Hotel) (蕉叶西餐厅), G/F, 8 Luhu Rd. Banana Leaf is an established traditional Thai restaurant chain.
- 3 Banana Leaf (World Trade Center) (蕉叶西餐厅), 5/F, 371-375 Huanshi East Rd. Banana Leaf is an established traditional Thai restaurant chain.
- Vaastu (雅仕度印度餐厅), 13-15, 475 Huanshi Dong Lu, Yuexiu District (广州市越秀区环市东路475号东都大世界首层A区13号－15号), ☏ . This high end restaurant opened its door in 2008. It serves traditional Indian food with vegetarian dishes available.
- Sharmaji Vegetarian Indian Restaurant, 1号 Huang Tian Zhi Jie, Yuexiu District (广州市越秀区麓景路黄田直街1、2号), ☏ . One of the most famous Vegetarian Indian restaurants in Guangzhou. Founded in 2001, it serves vegetarian Indian buffet only, in the Indian ghetto in Guangzhou, near the Dong Yue Hotel. It is on the 4th floor of the Gitic Hotel. No meat or alcohol served.
- 136 Cafe Sleeping Wood, 195 Yanjiang Middle Road: Western style bar and bistro. Probably the most innocuous burritos in this or any other hemisphere.
- Prime Steakhouse, 122 Liuhua Road (流花路122号中国大酒店), ☏ . 11:00-14:30, 18:00-23:00. One of Guangzhou's finest steakhouses, serving Australian and Japanese prime cuts, seafood, pasta and desserts.
- Cafe Veranda, 122 Liuhua Road (流花路122号中国大酒店), ☏ . 06:30-22:00. Serves a lavish international buffet and also has à la carte menu. All Western and Asian delights can be found here and the breakfast buffet is simply excellent.
- Oggi Pizzeria, G/F Tianlun Garden, Jianshe 4th Road (建设四马路), ☏ , email@example.com. 24/7. The European theme style cafe and bar serves great pizzas and traditional Italian home dishes with wine carte and draught beer.
- Bosphorus Turkish Restaurants, 1 Jianshe 6th Rd (Metro 5 Xiaobei Exit A), ☏ . 10:00-23:00. There are two locations in GZ. Bosphorus Premium in ex Tang Club, and Bosphours Xiaobei in Zhaoqing Building. It has delicious and halal foods. The third location in Yiwu city. The Bosphorus premium has two floors, having lunch and dinner at 2nd floor, smoke and coffee at 3rd floor. The portions are large, price are acceptable according to food quality. This is a favorite for eating doner (one of famous Turkish food) and kebabs especially Iskender.
- Buongiorno Italian Restaurant (Buongiorno 意大利餐厅), 3F Yian Plaza, 33 Jianshe 6th Road (越秀区建设六马路33号宜安广场3楼304/310), ☏ . 11:00-23:00. The authentic Italian restaurant is Italian managed and prepared, serving pizza, pasta, meat and fish dishes.
- 4 The Italian Restaurant (小街风情意大利餐厅), 3F Zhujiang Building East Tower, 360 Huanshi East Road (环市东路360号珠江大厦东座3楼) (Metro 5 Taojin), ☏ . 10:30-02:00. Despite the unimaginative name, this place offers good pizzas, pasta and beer. Buffet is available.
- [formerly dead link] K's Western Delights (K’S西方佳肴), Tao Jin Jia Yuan, ☏ . They serve Western-style homemade kosher sandwiches, managed and prepared by Westerners. Delivery service is available.
- Elephant and Castle (next door to Hill Bar opposite the Garden Hotel). British style pub serving Kilkenny, Guinness and a variety of bottled and draft beers. Prices are reasonable for the area, especially during Happy Hour. 22.
- 1 Hill Bar (Outside Baiyun Hotel and across from Garden Hotel). Reasonable price for drinks and live band performances nightly. ¥35 pints.
- 2 Paddy Field Irish Pub and Restaurant (Behind Garden Hotel).
- Sapphire Lounge, 122 Liuhua Rd (流花路122号中国大酒店), ☏ . 15:00 to late. On the 4th floor of China Hotel, Sapphire Lounge serves an extensive selection of classic and contemporary martinis, cocktails, wines, liquor and more in a chic and upbeat atmosphere. Perfect for after-work drinks or a night out.
- 3 Sleeping Wood Cafe. Restaurant pub next to the old Holiday Inn City Centre. Serves western food and all kinds of alcoholic drinks. Bottled Tsingtao beer for ¥30. Nice and quiet place to unwind, especially in the open area. 2nd location along Pearl River. ¥25-¥30.
- C:Union (喜窝), 115 Shuiyin Road (水荫路115号天溢大厦副大堂1楼). Great place to hear atypical live music like reggae or classic rock. Bar has both an indoor section consisting of a dance floor and couches and an outdoor section with patio seating and a basement. Wide beer selection and bartenders measure all drinks out in plain view. Early on the bar is populated mostly by locals, however as the night progresses the bar quickly fills with expats. Patrons tend to be very friendly open to meeting new people. There is usually at least one English speaking bartender at each station. ¥25-¥50 beer, ¥15 shots.
- Club NaNa, Tianlun Garden, 26 Jianshe 4th Road (建设4马路26号天伦花园) (up the street from Oggi's Pizza). Packs a variety of music, well-known throughout Guangzhou for its wild parties, including a singles lock and key party, a secret costume party, and live hip-hop shows. The owners may be seen handing out free drinks. Beware of the tequila shots. Begins as a largely Chinese club but around 23:30, the shaking switches from dice to dancing and it becomes a mix of East and West.
- Penthouse, 5 He Ping Rd. High class bar with dance floor. Variety of sparkling wine ensures you can live it up with standards. The DJs blast the hottest music.
- 4 The Cave (墨西哥餐厅酒吧), 360 Huanshi East Road (环市东路360号珠江大厦东侧) (basement on the end of the Zhujiang Tower (珠江大厦) near Garden Hotel), ☏ . This is a favorite expat hangout. The resident DJ spins a wide range of music. The Cave features exotic dance performances, including live-python dances. ¥30-40 standard drink.
- 5 Gipsy King Bar (大篷车酒吧), 360 Huanshi East Road (环市东路360号珠江大厦西地下) (opposite end of the Zhujiang Building from the Cave), ☏ . Underground bar similar to the Cave. Many local "working" girls sashay around. There are individual dance performances at one corner of the bar, while group performances start on the main dance floor at 22:00.
- Heihei Club, 2 Qiaoguang Road, Yuexiu District.. Good crowd, blend of locals and foreigners. Good music though a little pricy. It was reported that pickpocketing is rampant here.
- True Colors (本色), 276 Yanjiang Zhong Lu (200 m east of the Tianzi Matou, Yuexiu District (8373 5858)). Club has dozens of tables on the floor for groups to drink and play local dice games. The DJ booth overlooks the floor and between it and the massive windows runs a strip that can rise up for live performances and for models to runway walk. There's a dance floor that's maybe 25 m² where locals and expats dance. DJs come from all over the world and play their own mix of house occasionally punctuated with hip-hop.
- Binjiang Hostel (滨江青年旅舍), 405 Yanjiang East Road (大沙头沿江东路405号), ☏ . Dorm room ¥60, singles with shower ¥170.
- City Youth Hostel (广州国际青年旅舍), 179 Huanshi West Road (环市西路179号) (Metro 2 & 5, Guangzhou Railway Station), ☏ . Tiny single rooms and close to the train station but it does not provide the nicest environment. singles ¥80, ¥60 for members.
- Tielu Tong Tong Hotel (广州通通酒店), 101 Guangyuan West Road 广园西路101号 (Metro 2 & 5, Guangzhou Railway Station). A few blocks from the train station, the hotel is spacious but noisy. It is friendly to African travelers who are looking for lodging near Xiaobei and other wholesale trading markets. ¥160.
- 1 Lido Hotel (丽都大酒店), 182 Beijing Road (北京路182号) (Metro 6 Beijing Lu), ☏ . On Beijing Road Shopping Street. ¥350.
- 2 Baiyun Hotel (白云宾馆), 367 Huanshi East Road (环市东路367号) (across from Garden Hotel; Metro 5 Taojin), ☏ . Member of Best Western hotel chain.
- 3 Liuhua Hotel (流花宾馆), 194 Huanshi West Road (环市西路194号) (Metro 2/5 Guangzhou Railway Station), ☏ . ¥468.
- 4 Hotel Canton (广州大厦), 374 Beijing Road (广州市北京路374号) (Metro 1/2 Gongyuanqian), ☏ . This was once a glorious hotel, but it is now a bit outdated. However, it is just north of the Beijing Lu Pedestrian Street. ¥390.
- 5 Hotel Landmark (华厦大酒店), 8 Qiaoguang Road (海珠广场侨光路8号) (Metro 2 Haizhu Square Exit A), ☏ . ¥500.
- 6 Asia International Hotel (亚洲国际大酒店), 326 Huangshi East Road, Sec 1 (环市东路326号) (Metro 5 Xiaobei), ☏ . One of a handful of hotels that feature separate bath and shower areas in a standard room. Internet access is free but slow. It also features Guangzhou's highest revolving restaurant on the top level.
- 7 Garden Hotel (花园酒店), 368 Huanshi East Road (环市东路368号) (Metro 5 Taojin), ☏ . The hotel has standard hotel rooms as well as apartments and offices for rent. Deluxe rooms are clean but basic; elite rooms are newly renovated and attractive. The Carousel Restaurant offers excellent dinner buffet with panoramic views of Guangzhou on the top level. The hotel also has various Shops, HSBC and Bank of China branches and a bus station serving express buses to the Guangzhou airport, the Hong Kong airport and nearby cities such as Zhuhai.
- 8 Crown Plaza Guangzhou City Centre (广州中心皇冠假日酒店), 339 Huanshi East Road (环市东路339号), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Previously the Guangdong International Hotel (广东国际大酒店), this 63-storey building is now a Crown Plaza hotel under the Intercontinental Hotel Group. Rooms are adequately furnished and WiFi internet is provided for free. The hotel is in the middle of the city, right next to the Guangdong TV Station (广东电视台) and nearby Taojin Metro Station (Line 5). The French consulate shares the same address. From the airport, there is an airport-express bus (Line 2A) that can bring you directly to the hotel for ￥19.
- 9 DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou (广州希尔顿逸林酒店), 391 Dongfeng Rd, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A modern hotel featuring a ballroom, first-class meeting rooms, an outdoor terrace pool, five restaurants on-site, and a fitness center. ¥850 up.
- 10 China Hotel, A Marriott Hotel (中国大酒店), 122 Liuhua Road (流花路100号) (Metro 2 Yuexiu Park), ☏ . The 5-Star Luxury Marriott Hotel is in the heart of central Guangzhou. It features 850 guestrooms, 8 Food and Beverage outlets, Executive Lounge and Shopping Arcade. An entrance to the Metro is just outside. ¥800 up.
- 11 Dong Fang Hotel (东方宾馆), 120 Liuhua Road (流花路120号) (Metro 2 Yuexiu Park), ☏ .
- Howard Johnson Riverview Hotel, 233 Yanjiang Middle Road (jcn of Peking Rd & Promenade, 10 min walk from Haizu Sq Metro), ☏ . Big clean comfy rooms, south-facing have river view. Staff have decent English. Unclear of this place's relation to HoJo brand, who don't list it on their website. From 1000 Yuan.