Hanover is a small town on the South Shore in Massachusetts off of Route 3. Hanover is very quaint and bordered by Norwell on the north and east, Pembroke and Hanson on the south, and Rockland on the west and northwest. Hanover is about 17 miles (25 km) north of Plymouth, 23 miles southeast of Boston, and 220 miles from New York City. Hanover is in Plymouth County, the small town of just over 13,000 people was incorporated in 1727, and encompasses almost 16 square miles of total land.
Hanover can be accessed via Route 3 in Massachusetts through exits 12, 13, and 14.
- Take Exit 12 through Marshfield/Pembroke which will leave you a few miles south of Hanover.
- Take Exit 13 by the Hanover Mall which leaves you in the middle of Hanover.
- Take Exit 14 through Rockland which leaves you slightly north of Hanover
Hanover can also be accessed via the T or the Commuter Rail, which both drop you off about 10 minutes away from the Town of Hanover, in the neighboring towns with train stations.
The Plymouth & Brockton daily bus service offers service daily from South Station in Boston all the way down to Cape Cod. The bus stop in Rockland would be most convenient to get to Hanover, just a few minutes away.
In order to get around the small town of Hanover, it is quicker and more convenient to drive from point to point. For those who are looking for a way to exercise or be outside, it is also a very nice to take a bike ride or walk either alongside the roads or even through the trails created throughout the town.
- Boston Bowl, 58 Rockland St (on Rt. 139), ☏ . Daily 9AM - 11PM. A fun family activity open during all seasons. Candlepin and 10-pin bowling, an arcade, concession stand, bar. See website for prices.
- [formerly dead link] Patriot Cinemas, 1775 Washington Street (take exit 13 to Route 53 South; behind the Hanover Mall), ☏ . See new movies at great prices on 10 different screens. Super Tuesdays: all seats and all shows, $5 all day. Adults $8.50, children under 12 $6, seniors $6, daily matinees $6.
- Sky Spa, 1080 Washington Street, ☏ .
- South Shore YMCA, 75 Mill St. (Route 3, Exit 13), ☏ . M-F 5AM-10PM, Sa 6:30AM-8PM, Su 7AM-6PM. Full exercise room equipped with weights and cardio machines. Full size lap pool and swimming pool with slide, basketball court, game room, as well as indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- [dead link] Starland Sports and Fun Park, 645 Washington St (on Rt. 53), ☏ . Open daily in good weather, hours vary by season. Great family outing! Has 27 holes of miniature golf including 2 courses, 8 batting cages, a laser tag arena, rock climbing walls, a nice Go-Kart track, a golf driving range, arcade, and snack bar. See website for prices.
- Building 19, 389 Columbia Road, ☏ . Everything you can ask for in this store. Great low prices and great bargains.
- Edwin Watts Golf Shops, 200 Webster St Ste 2, ☏ .
- Hanover Mall, 1775 Washington St (Route 3, Exit 13), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su noon-6PM. A variety of stores including Wal-Mart, Macys, and Forever 21. Small food court including McDonald's, Orange Julius, Auntie Annes, Moes, and Subway.
- Jo-Anne Fabric and Craft Store, 1302 Washington Street, ☏ .
- Michael's, 1246 Washington Street, ☏ . Great place to buy arts and crafts. Michael's sells things such as yarn, window tinting, wedding supplies, stickers, scrap booking, rubber bands, stamps, and ribbon.
- Target, 1167 Washington Street (on Rt. 53), ☏ . M-Sa 8AM-10PM, Su 8AM-9PM.
- Hanover house of Pizza, 272 Columbia Rd, ☏ . Great pizza and all different kinds of topings.
- Imperial Garden, 811 Washington Street (Located on Rt. 53), ☏ . Chinese. Great service and food! Play Keno while you dine.
- Jc's Dairy, 812 Washington Street (on Rt. 53), ☏ . Locally run ice cream shop, very friendly staff with great ice cream, floats, and milkshakes.
- Pacini's Italian Eatery, 2053 Washington St, ☏ . Offers lunch, dinner, take out, and delivery. Classic Italian specialties, in a warm atmosphere.
- Papa Razzi, 2087 Washington Street, ☏ .
- Siam Cuisine, 370 Columbia Rd, ☏ . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-11PM. (Rt 53). Thai. Excellent noodle dishes.
- West Hanover Pizzeria, 1415 Hanover St, ☏ . Friendly staff, local business. Great calzones and pizza! Delivery available.
- Route 53 also has a number of fast food restaurants including MacDonalds, Burger King, D'angelo and Papa Ginos.
- Joes Coffee Shop, 346 Whiting St (Rt 3 to exit 13, take right and follow to rt 139, take right and follow to two sets of lights, take right and at corner on right), ☏ . M-F 6AM-2PM, Sa 6AM-12:50PM. A great breakfast and lunch diner that offers home cooked meals. This establishment has been in Hanover for over 60 years. Fresh cooked foods that fill your plates to the brim. Also has catering for special events.
- Joe's American Bar and Grille, 2087 Washington St, ☏ . Fun atmosphere. Great food and drink.
- Squires of Hanover, 1202 Washington Street, ☏ . Very friendly atmosphere with both food and drink. Geared towards an adult crowd, pool tables, flat screens, and a great bar.
- There are no hotel options in Hanover, but neighboring towns Rockland and Marshfield have several options available.
- Also a great place to go next is Boston, 25 minutes North of Hanover. Boston has a multitude of things to do including duck tours, shopping, restaurants, sporting events, museums and concerts.
|Routes through Hanover|
|Boston ← Rockland ←||N S||→ Duxbury → Plymouth|
|Quincy ← Norwell ←||N S||→ Duxbury → Kingston|
|Brockton ← Rockland ←||W E||→ Norwell → Scituate|
|Stoughton ← Rockland ←||W E||→ Marshfield → Duxbury|