Interstate 15 runs north and south through Helena's eastern edge. US-12 runs east-west, and is the quickest connection from the Missoula area; US-12/287 leaves Helena to the southeast, towards Townsend and eastbound I-90 and Billings.
- 1 Helena Regional Airport (HLN IATA) (roughly 3 mi (4.8 km) northeast of downtown Helena, it is accessed via Cedar St from I-15 at Exit #193). The following airlines serve Helena with some connecting through Great Falls: Horizon Air as Alaska Airlines (Seattle); Skywest as Delta Connection (Minneapolis-St Paul and Salt Lake City); Skywest as United Express (Denver)
There is no public transportation available from the airport into town. You can go by taxi, ride hailing (Uber is available) or rental car.
The main bus station for the 'Blue Line' route of the local public transportation and intercity buses is at the 2 Helena Area Transit Center/Depot on N Montana Ave (SR-229) & Bozeman St:
- Salt Lake Express, 1415 N Montana Ave, ☏ . Travels primarily on Interstate 15 from Salt Lake City through Idaho Falls to Great Falls via Dillon, Butte, Basin, Boulder, Helena, and Craig in Montana. Passengers transfer in Butte, Idaho Falls and Salt Lake City to get to additional destinations. Transfer to Jefferson Lines in Butte
A small bus network is provided by Capital Area Transit Service, fares cost $1.50. Also, there's a free shuttle between Capitol Hill Mall and the Capitol Building.
- 1 Cathedral of St. Helena, 530 N Ewing St, ☏ . Daily except during services; Summer tours on Tu W Th.
- The Great Northern Carousel and Ice Cream Parlour is a must do when visiting the historic town of Helena. A hand-carved carousel was built in 2002 with a wide variety of native Montanan animals. They also feature delicious homemade ice cream with flavors like Missouri River Mud, Frog Mint, and Buffalo Jump.
- 2 Montana State Capitol, 1301 E. 6th Ave. Summer: M-Sa 9AM, 10AM, 11AM, noon, 1PM and 2PM, Su noon, 1PM, 2PM, and 3PM; winter: Sa only 9AM, 10AM, 11AM, noon, 1PM and 2PM; self-guided tours: tours M-Sa 8AM-5PM. Free.
- Gates of the Mountains, 3131 Gates of the Mountains Road (20 min N of Helena, take exit 209), ☏ , email@example.com. Hours can vary monthly, check website for schedule. Enjoy the beauty of the Gates of the Mountains from aboard one of two tour boats - the "Sacajawea" (named after the only woman and indigenous person on the Expedition), and the "Hilger Rose" (named after Nicholas Hilger, who began the tours in 1886 on a vessel named "Rose of Helena"). The 105-minute cruise starts at the marina, just 3 miles off Interstate 15 in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
- Reeder's Alley historic mining district, Reeder's Alley.
- 3 Old Fire Tower. Built in 1876.
- Visit ExplorationWorks a museum of science and culture at the Great Northern Town Center, Downtown Helena. 
- Bill Roberts Municipal Golf Course, 2201 N Benton Ave, ☏ . 18-hole course, open and thriving since 1925.
- Mount Helena. Hike, a large city park overlooking the city.
- Great Divide Snow Sports, ☏ . A ski/snowboard area north of Helena.
- Old Fire Tower. Built in 1876.
- 1 Last Chance Gulch Pedestrian Mall, ☏ . A walking mall including a walk though Helena's history, a small playground and an old train car.
- 1 Silver Star Steak Company, 833 Great Northern Blvd, ☏ . 6 categories of main courses. 5 types of steaks with different portion size options. Extensive wine list.
- 1 Blackfoot River Brewery, 66 South Park Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 2–8PM.
- 2 The Hawthorn Bottle Shop and Tasting Room, 46 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . Bottle shop with a tasting room, fine wines with a down to earth touch.
- 3 Lewis and Clark Brewing, 1517 Dodge Ave, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 2-8PM. Local brewery, makes ales and lagers
- 4 Rialto, 52 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . Popular downtown bar, with live music and DJs.
- Elk View Bed and Breakfast, 88 Howard Beer Rd, Clancey (12 mi south of the city, along I-15), ☏ . Check-in: 4PM-7PM, check-out: 11AM. A four-room guest lodge built with logs and set on 450 acres that feels like a park. The lodge has three large fireplaces, a hot tub and sauna. The breakfasts are recommended. $100-125.
- 1 Jorgenson's Inn & Suites, 1714 11th Ave (between 11th Ave and Prospect Avenue at Lamborn Street (next to Capital Hill Mall)), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. A friendly hotel in the city center. Highlights of the property include free breakfast with every room, a fun bar and casino, an indoor pool, business center and Free Wifi in the main building, free on-site parking, round-trip airport shuttle, laundry facilities, coffee in the lobby, a microwave in the lobby, complimentary newspapers in the lobby and air conditioning in all rooms and public areas. $69.
- 2 The Sanders - Helena's Bed & Breakfast, 328 N Ewing St, ☏ .
|Routes through Helena|
|Great Falls ← Wolf Creek ←||N S||→ Butte → Idaho Falls|
|Missoula ← Garrison ←||W E||→ Townsend → Miles City|
|Choteau ← Wolf Creek ←||N S||→ Townsend → Three Forks|