Interstate 15 runs north and south through Helena's eastern edge. US-12 runs east-west, and is the quickest connection from the Missoula area; US-12/287 leaves Helena to the southeast, towards Townsend and eastbound I-90 and Billings.
- 1 Helena Regional Airport (HLN IATA) (roughly 3 mi (4.8 km) northeast of downtown Helena, it is accessed via Cedar St from I-15 at Exit #193). The following airlines serve Helena with some connecting through Great Falls: Horizon Air as Alaska Airlines (Seattle); Skywest as Delta Connection (Minneapolis-St Paul and Salt Lake City); Skywest as United Express (Denver)
There is no public transportation available from the airport into town. You can go by taxi, ride hailing (Uber is available) or rental car.
The main bus station for the 'Blue Line' route of the local public transportation and intercity buses is at the 2 Helena Area Transit Center/Depot on N Montana Ave (SR-229) & Bozeman St:
- Salt Lake Express, 1415 N Montana Ave, ☏ . Travels primarily on Interstate 15 from Salt Lake City through Idaho Falls to Great Falls via Dillon, Butte, Basin, Boulder, Helena, and Craig in Montana. Passengers transfer in Butte, Idaho Falls and Salt Lake City to get to additional destinations. Transfer to Jefferson Lines in Butte
A small bus network is provided by Capital Area Transit Service, fares cost $1.50. Also, there's a free shuttle between Capitol Hill Mall and the Capitol Building.
- 1 Cathedral of St. Helena, 530 N Ewing St, ☏ . Daily except during services; Summer tours on Tu W Th.
- Gates of the Mountains, 3131 Gates of the Mountains Road (20 min N of Helena, take exit 209), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Hours can vary monthly, check website for schedule. Enjoy the beauty of the Gates of the Mountains from aboard one of two tour boats - the "Sacajawea" (named after the only woman and indigenous person on the Expedition), and the "Hilger Rose" (named after Nicholas Hilger, who began the tours in 1886 on a vessel named "Rose of Helena"). The 105-minute cruise starts at the marina, just 3 miles off Interstate 15 in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
- 2 Holter Museum of Arts, 12 E Lawrence St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5:30PM, Su noon-4PM, closed M. Variety of art exhibits in 5 galleries. Free.
- 3 Montana State Capitol, 1301 E. 6th Ave. Summer: M-Sa tours on the hour from 9AM-2PM, Su from noon-3PM; Winter: Sa only 9AM-2PM. Self-guided tours anytime M-Sa 8AM-5PM. Free.
- 4 Old Fire Tower. Built in 1876.
- 5 Reeder's Alley historic mining district, Reeder's Alley. Brick complex from the 1870s. Tours available.
- 1 Bill Roberts Municipal Golf Course, 2201 N Benton Ave, ☏ . 18-hole course, open and thriving since 1925.
- 2 ExplorationWorks!, 995 Carousel Way, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-Su 10AM-5PM, closed M. Interactive children's science museum $9 ages 2+.
- 3 Great Divide Snow Sports, 7385 Belmont Dr, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A ski/snowboard area north of Helena. 1,500 acres with summit elevation of 7,330 feet.
- 4 Great Northern Carousel, 989 Carousel Way, ☏ , email@example.com. W Th 11AM-6PM, F 11AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-7PM, Su noon-5PM. Hand-carved carousel, featuring native Montanan animals. They also feature delicious homemade ice cream with flavors like Missouri River Mud, Frog Mint, and Buffalo Jump. $3 per ride, one scoop $3.50.
- 5 Helena Bighorns, 400 Lola St, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. See website for current season schedule. Enjoy an ice-hockey game at the Helena Ice Arena. The Bighorns play in the NA3 hockey league.
- 6 Mount Helena (end of Reeders Village Dr), ☏ , email@example.com. Large city park featuring several hiking trails, also suitable for mountain biking. The 1906 trail takes about 2 hours to reach the summit. Free.
- 7 South Hills Disc Golf Course (Hyzer Hills), 3187 Cabernet Dr. Open sun-up to sun-down. Disc golf course with 18 holes. Variety of holes make it a good course for most skill levels. Free.
- 1 Last Chance Gulch Pedestrian Mall, ☏ . A walking outdoor mall including a walk though Helena's history, a small playground and an old train car.
- 1 Planet Gyros, 1421 11th Ave, ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM, Sa 11AM-4PM, closed Su. Traditional Greek lunch menu
- 2 R-B Drive-In, 932 Helena Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 11A-7PM, closed Su. Classic drive-in doing business since 1948.
- 3 Ristorante Bella Roma, 22 N Last Chance Gulch (in the Double Tree), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Authentic Italian restaurant. Multi-course meals with menu changing to make use of in-season fresh produce. Outdoor seating available. Reservations recommended, can be booked on website.
- 4 Silver Star Steak Company, 833 Great Northern Blvd, ☏ . M-Th 4-9PM, F Sa 4-10PM; Lounge M-Sa 4-11PM. 6 categories of main courses. 5 types of steaks with different portion size options. Extensive wine list.
- 5 Windbag Saloon & Grill, 19 S Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . M-F 11AM-midnight, Sa-Su 10AM-midnight. The last bordello in Helena. Pub-style food. Several microbrews. Outdoor seating available.
- 1 Fire Tower Coffee, 422 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ , email@example.com. M-F 6:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 7AM-3PM, closed Su. Artisan roaster. Beans available for retail purchase.
- 2 The Hawthorn Bottle Shop and Tasting Room, 46 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . Bottle shop with a tasting room, fine wines with a down to earth touch.
- 3 Rialto, 52 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . Popular downtown bar, with live music and DJs.
- 4 Blackfoot River Brewery, 66 South Park Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 2–8PM, F Sa Su noon-8PM. Hand-crafted beer. Outside food is welcome. Pets allowed in downstairs outdoor area.
- 5 Copper Furrow Brewing, 2801 N Roberts, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily noon-8PM. Locally sourced ingredients. Casual, family-friendly. 5 flagships plus rotators.
- 6 Lewis and Clark Brewing, 1535 Dodge Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 2-8PM. Makes ales, lagers and seltzers. Best known for award winning Miner's Gold. Live music and game room.
- 7 Mt Ascension Brewing, 317 N Cruse (inside the Independent), ☏ . Open daily, M Tu W 2-8PM, Th-Su noon-8PM. Balcony views.
- 8 Speakeasy 41, 685 Barney St, Suite A, ☏ . Open daily, M-Th 4-9PM, F Sa Sun noon-9PM. Occasional market days featuring small local businesses, live music every so often.
- 9 Ten Mile Creek Brewery, 48 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ . Daily noon-8PM. Live music and events. Featuring variety of ales, sour, and fruit flavors.
- 1 Budget Inn Express, 524 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 11AM. Basic hotel with good location at the city center. Microwave/fridge in room.
- 2 Ramada by Wyndham, 1714 11th Ave (between 11th Ave and Prospect Avenue at Lamborn Street (next to Capital Hill Mall)), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. A friendly hotel in the city center. Maintains 2 hotels at one location. The economy site is a standard no frills room. The main building has breakfast, a fun bar and casino, attached restaurant, an indoor pool, business center, Coffee and microwave in the lobby.
- 3 The Sanders - Helena's Bed & Breakfast, 328 N Ewing St, ☏ . Restored mansion filled with authentic items. Each room has a private bath, gourmet breakfast. Short walk to historic district and downtown shopping.
You will find most restaurants, bars, and coffee shops to have free wifi for customers.
- Helena Chamber of Commerce, 225 Cruse Ave. Suite A, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 General Mercantile, 413 N Last Chance Gulch, ☏ , email@example.com. M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 11AM-4PM. Coffee shop.
- 2 Staggering Ox, 400 Euclid Ave, ☏ . M-F 8AM-7PM, Sa Su 8AM-6PM. Deli lunch spot.
- Canyon Ferry (20 miles east) is Montana's third largest lake. You can enjoy all the water activities from the marina, or one of several campsites.
|Routes through Helena|
|Great Falls ← Wolf Creek ←||N S||→ Butte → Idaho Falls|
|Missoula ← Garrison ←||W E||→ Townsend → Miles City|
|Choteau ← Wolf Creek ←||N S||→ Townsend → Three Forks|