Idaho Falls is a city in Eastern Idaho. It is the county seat of Bonneville County and the largest city in Eastern Idaho. It has a population of about 50,000 and the metro area contains about 115,000 people.
Idaho Falls Regional Airport (IDA) is just northwest of Idaho Falls. It has services to Salt Lake City on Delta Connection; Denver and San Francisco on United Express; Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Oakland, and Phoenix/Mesa on Allegiant Air.
Often the cost of flying in/out of Idaho Falls is not economical. For this reason, many residents of Idaho Falls drive to Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). Salt Lake City is 213 miles to the south. Typically, this drive takes about 3 hours, but due to weather and Salt Lake City traffic it can easily take an additional hour. During the winter months the drive time can significantly lengthen due to poor visibility and road conditions.
Idaho Falls can be easily reached by I-15 (North / South) or by Highway 20 (East / West). The Utah border is about 120 miles south, the Montana border is about 75 miles north, the Wyoming border is about 72 miles to the east, and the Oregon border is about 334 miles to the west.
- Salt Lake Express, ☎ . Travels primarily on Interstate 15 from Salt Lake City via Pocatello and Idaho Falls to Great Falls. There's also another route from Idaho Falls to West Yellowstone, MT on US Hwy 20.
There are several rental car companies and most have representatives at Idaho Falls Airport.
Idaho Falls is small and the majority of the hotels are located centrally enough that a small walk will get you to most destinations. The distance to some locations would warrant a taxi service. There is fair competition in the taxi business and service is very good for a town this size. You can generally get a ride anywhere in town and even Ammon, which borders Idaho Falls, for under $15 (Idaho Falls city limits, $10). It is more economical to rent a car if you have several destinations over the duration of a day. If you have less than 5-6 stops, taxis are excellent. SafeRide and Easy Way Taxi offer 24/7 service.
There is currently no mass transit.
- Museum of Idaho, 200 N Eastern Ave (take the Broadway exit (118) east across the river - it is just at Broadway and Yellowstone Highway), ☎ . M-Tu, 9AM-8PM, W-Sa, 9AM-5PM, closed Su. Dedicated to the history of Idaho and receives many famous traveling exhibits. $6 max, many discounts available.
- Tautphaus Park Zoo, 2725 Carnival Way, ☎ , fax: +1 208 528-6256, e-mail: email@example.com. 9AM-4PM, closed Nov-Mar. Home to a large population of animals from six continents. $5 for 13-61, $3.50 for 62+, $2.50 for 4-12, under 4 free.
- Idaho Falls River Walk (The Greenbelt). A six mile path situated next to the Snake River, one of the most beautiful sites in Idaho Falls. Free.
- Teton Spectrum Racing.
- Idaho Falls Farmers' Market, 501 Broadway. May-Oct: Sat 9:00am-01:00pm. Fresh local products easy to find just under the water tower.
Despite Idaho Falls' small town environment, there are numerous locations that serve outstanding cuisine, and since most of them are locally owned there is a great customer appreciation found at each of them. Restaurants close to the river include:
The Sandpiper. Serves anything from Rainbow Trout to Lobster (flown fresh into Idaho Falls) to steak. Considered by many of the locals to be the best restaurant in town. For the locals The Sandpiper can seem a little pricey, but for those visiting from out of town their menu will not seem outrageously priced.
Jakers. The specialty is steak, but you should also try their seafood dishes.
Smitty's. Probably the most popular restaurant in town for breakfast. Nothing fancy is served, but you can count on the traditional breakfast dishes being prepared to perfection.
The Collage. The most expensive restaurant in Idaho Falls, but the quality is excellent and cannot be beaten by any other restaurant in town. The menu is very international, and the chef changes the menu approximately every three to six months. The Collage is nestled in downtown Idaho Falls, and provides a very quiet, elegant dinner for any who chose to dine there.
Some more common restaurants that are close to the river area are Outback Steakhouse, Chilis, Applebees, Olive Garden, and Ruby's Steakhouse. Even more restaurants are located across town near the Grand Teton Mall. These restaurants include Sizzler, TGI Friday, Texas Roadhouse, Perkins, IHOP, Wingers, Johnny Carino's, Red Robin, Chuckarama, and Bajio.
Most of the hotels are located near I-15 and the airport along the river.
- Best Western, 900 Lindsay Blvd, ☎ , fax: +1 208 523-0000. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 12PM. $80 - $90.
- Comfort Inn, 195 S. Colorado Ave. (Just west of the West Broadway exit off of I-15), ☎ , fax: +1 208 522-3083, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. $65 - $135.
- Fairfield Inn, 1293 West Broadway (Just east of the West Broadway exit off of I-15), ☎ , fax: +1 208 552-7379. $90 - $150.
- Holiday Inn Express, 2270 Channing Way, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. $115 - $190.
- Le Ritz Hotel & Suite, 720 Lindsay Blvd, toll-free: . $105 - $215.
- Red Lion Hotel, 475 River Parkway, toll-free: , fax: +1 208 529-9610, e-mail: email@example.com. $115 - $125.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 700 Lindsay Blvd, ☎ .
- Grand Teton National Park is about 100 miles to the east. Heading east out of Idaho Falls on US-26 will go right into the south entrance. This entrance is open year round.
- Yellowstone National Park is about 100 miles to the north east. US-20 goes all the way to the west entrance. Yellowstone can also be entered through the south entrance from the Grand Tetons. Both entrances are closed from November to April.
- Targhee National Forest is about 60 miles to the north east on US-20. The Mesa Falls Scenic Byway goes through the forest and leads to the Upper and Lower lookouts of Mesa Falls.
|Routes through Idaho Falls|
|Butte ← Dubois ←||N S||→ Shelley → Pocatello|
|Craters of the Moon ← Arco ←||W E||→ Rexburg → Yellowstone N.P.|
|Craters of the Moon ← Shelley ←||W E||→ Alpine → Grand Teton N.P.|
|END ←||N S||→ Shelley → Pocatello|