Hikkaduwa is a beach town on the southwest coast of Sri Lanka, near Galle. There is a marine park nearby, Hikkaduwa National Park.
Hikkaduwa is on the A2 highway, connecting Colombo to Wellawaya, which runs mostly parallel to the shore, through the town.
The nearest airport is north of Colombo. A taxi or driver to/from Colombo can cost anything from 7,000 to 12,000 LKR, and can be arranged through your accommodation or various other tour companies.
Buses run frequently to Galle and further south east along the coast. It is possible to embark the bus at the bus station in Hikkaduwa but also along the road, at bus stops. Buses to/from Galle cost roughly 50 LKR and takes around 40-50 minutes, whereas a tuk-tuk will cost you around 2,000 LKR and take 30-40 minutes. The buses might be very crowded, and you could have to stand up for the entire journey, however a bus ride gives you plenty of opportunities to mingle with the locals.
- 1 Hikkaduwa Railway Station, Colombo-Galle Road, ☏ . To/from Colombo Rs 190 2nd class, Rs 105 3rd class.
The beach side main road is flat but gets a bit hilly going inland so a bicycle is a good way to get around if you can find one. Otherwise just walk or there are plenty of tuk tuks around.
- 1 Tsunami Photo museums, Peraliya (near the site of the so called Tsunami Train). Very graphic photos of the aftermath of the devastating tsunami waves. Free to enter but accepts donations.
- Sunsets. The beach looks out west so sunsets can be enjoyed here.
- 2 Hikkaduwa National Park (just off beach). Marine park. Lots of colorful fish and odd turtle, small reef shark and moray eel. Coral reef badly damaged but kind of recovering. Beach in front of Beer Garden is excellent access point.
- 1 Turtle Feeding. Feed turtles seaweed with local supervision.
- 2 Madu River boat safari.
- 3 Snorkeling (opposite Beer Garden). See lots of fish, small reef sharks just of the beach in marine park.
- 4 Turtle Hatchery. 500LKR.
- 1 Chami's Place, inland just over the railway line, ☏ . 8AM-11PM. A great place to meet other travellers over meals, drinks and card games. The staff are really friendly and helpful. They also run a hostel with private rooms and dorms and rent bicycles. Free drinking water refills.
- Salty Swamis (on the main street, opposite of Club Vibration). 8am-3pm food, 8am-4pm drinks. Surfing themed and very popular among tourists and rightly so, on the main strip, but away from the noise of traffic. Quieter towards closing time. Try the "Prawn Taco", and a "Peanut Butter Nutella Milkshake" for dessert. Staff is a mix of locals and foreigners. They also serve great coffee. Their various breakfasts are excellent.
Going south east:
- Galle is 20 km south, following the coast, and connected by train and bus.
- Bentota is a beach town halfway to Colombo.