Hillsboro is a city in the Portland Metropolitan Area in Oregon. It contains several districts such as hip and trendy Orenco in all of its high-density glory, along with more rural South Hillsboro, although the mayor's building program is building up this area into subdivisions as of 2022. Central Hillsboro and the downtown area contains buildings dated back to the 1950s, and a few earlier examples still exist. Northern Hillsboro around the Airport is mostly industrial with no tourist attractions other than the hotels.
This city has a traditional farming community background with visible roots of agriculture. Remnants of this rural past can still be seen in the rural areas outside the city. The Orenco district used to be completely filled with nurseries, although the remaining ones have moved outside the city.
There is also a rich Hispanic history here. Almost half of the population is Hispanic and many people speak Spanish. Schools in this area offer a Dual Language program where students in grades K-12 can take half of their courses in Spanish!
This city is home to technology giant Intel, and has production facilities for many other tech and software companies. This city also serves as a home base for trips out into the countryside, or day trips to Portland.
By public transportation
The 1 Hillsboro Transit Center serves as the "central bus station" for Tri-Met trains & buses. It is centrally located along SE Washington between 3rd & 4th Ave (marker URL linked to Tri-Met's website for schedules & maps) with the following buses & trains:
- Blue Line MAX the train across town to Gresham via Orenco, Beaverton, downtown Portland, Gateway Transit and east Portland. Transfer to the Red Line Max anywhere between Beaverton Transit Center (TC) & Gateway TC to get to the airport.
- Rt 46 weekday service between Hillsboro Transit Center, Fair Complex/Hillsboro Airport MAX Station, and Hillsboro Library in North Hillsboro.
- Rt 47 runs weekdays between Hillsboro, Orenco, Tanasbourne, and Portland Community College-Rock Creek along Main & Evergreen
- Rt 48 weekdays and Saturdays between Hillsboro Transit Center, Hillsboro Airport/Fair Complex, Tanasbourne, Cedar Mill, and Sunset Transit Center, along Cornell.
- Rt 57 Frequent bus connecting Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Cornelius, Aloha and Beaverton via Pacific, Baseline, TV Highway and Canyon Road (SR-8), operates 24/7.
- Yamhill Co Transit Rt#33 Goes to McMinnville through Forest Grove, Gaston, town of Yamhill and Carlton along SR-8 & 47. Bus makes limited or no stops between Hillsboro and Forest Grove along Hwy 8. Passengers must use Tri-Met #57 bus to be let off or picked up along the road between Hillsboro and Forest Grove.
- Ride Connection-West Link, (bus stop) Hillsboro Transit Center. Connects Forest Grove to Hillsboro via Banks and North Plains. Additional connections to Tillamook Transit District #5 are at North Plains Senior Center and Banks Log Cabin Park. Check schedules.
- 2 Oregon Point (Northwest Point) (Operated by MTR Western), (bus stop) NE Town Center Dr & Evergreen Pkwy (Same stop as Tillamook Transit District #5), ☏ . goes up to Astoria via Beaverton, Hillsboro and Elsie along US Hwy 26 and Seaside, Cannon Beach, Gearhart and Warrenton along US Hwy 101. Picks up from Tanasbourne Mall (Hillsboro) and Sunset Transit Center (Beaverton).
Connections to Greyhound, Amtrak, Oregon Point and other intercity buses are in Portland.
The only other main way to get in to Hillsboro is by road via Highway 26 west from Portland. If coming from the coast, 26 East will take you in to Hillsboro, and continues on from Hillsboro. Drive time from Portland is roughly 20-30 minutes. If visiting from the Southern part of the state and looking for a more scenic drive, you can visit the charming towns of McMinneville and Newberg while driving along 219. This route offers breathtaking countryside views and ample opportunities for visiting Vineyards.
- 3 Portland-Hillsboro Airport (HIO IATA). The second busiest airport in Oregon, located within the Hillsboro city limits and is capable of handling larger jet aircraft for VIP flights. The airport is managed and operated by the Port of Portland and is located 2.5 mi (4.0 km) northeast of downtown Hillsboro along NE Cornell Rd. This airport only handles general aviation and private VIP flights. The offices (location of marker) and maintenance hangars are located along NE Cornell Rd, at the south side of the airport grounds, across the street from the Washington County fairgrounds. Different flight schools, aircraft repair companies and aircraft storage hangers may be located in different sides of the airport grounds, check with them.
The nearest airport for commercial flights (domestic & international) is at Portland International Airport (PDX IATA) which is 20 miles northeast of Hillsboro in NE Portland. The Portland International Airport can be accessed by the MAX light rail. Take the Blue Line train across town to the Gateway Transit Center or anywhere between Beaverton Transit Center and Gateway Transit Center and transfer to the Red Line train to the airport.
The immediate areas around the MAX light station in downtown Hillsboro are closer together and are more walkable. Anywhere beyond you will find it quicker and preferable to drive as you would in any American suburban city. The addresses in Hillsboro do not conform to Portland's addressing system but rather have its own addressing and street numbering system based on a quadrant from 1st Ave & Main St in downtown as NE, SE, SW & NW with the house numbers increasing as you go further from 1st & Main till you reach the city limits when the house numbers become different. First Ave goes north & south and divides east from west while Main St goes east & west and divides north from south. The streets going east & west are named while the streets going north & south are numbered with others named. So a road, such as Cornell Rd or Evergreen Pkwy, in adjacent Aloha has a 'NW' designation will suddenly become 'NE' as you cross into Hillsboro with a different range of house numbers along the way. Many roads in areas more recently incorporated into Hillsboro such the areas surrounding Tanasbourne and between NW/SW 185th Ave to 219th, that were once unincorporated rural areas had a mixture of Hillsboro designations (NE & SE) and Portland designations (NW & SW) and are now dual-signed with both the new and old street names or numbers.
- 1 Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals, 26385 NW Groveland Dr., ☏ . W-F 1PM-5PM, Sa Su 10AM-5PM. Adults $10; veterans/military $7; seniors 60+ $9; ages 5-17 $7.
- 2 Washington County Museum, 17677 NW Springville Rd, Portland (at Portland Community College Rock Creek Campus), ☏ . W Th and Summer Saturdays 10AM-4PM. Free.
- 3 Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve, 2600 SW Hillsboro Hwy, ☏ . Daily, dawn-dusk. Education Center: daily, 10AM-4PM. No dogs or bicycles. Free, suggested donation $2.
- Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market, Office at 232 NE Lincoln Ave, ☏ , email@example.com. Hillsboro Farmers’ Market celebrates Washington County’s agricultural bounty by congregating farmers to sell fresh fruits, produce, baked goods, flowers and more.
- 1 Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market - Downtown Hillsboro, Main Street between 1st and 3rd Ave. Saturday 8AM-1:30PM.
- 2 Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market - Orenco Station, Between Orenco Station pkwy and NE 61st Ave, close to Cornell Rd. Sunday 10AM-2PM.
- 3 Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market - Kaiser Permanente, 2875 NW Stucki Ave. Wednesday 4PM-7PM.
- 4 Hillsboro Saturday Farmers Market - Tuality Hospital, Baseline and 8th Ave. Thursday 11AM-1:30PM.
- Horning’s Fishing & Picnic Hideout. Horning’s Hideout used for weddings, concerts, family gatherings, company picnics, car camping and trout fishing. $4 per person.
- 5 Hillsboro Hops, 4460 NW 229th Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Minor league baseball team that plays at Ron Tonkin Field. They are a Class A Short Season team that have played in the Northwest League since 2013 as an affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. $7-16 per person.
- 6 K1 Speed, 5579 NE Huffman St Ste 2, ☏ , toll-free: . M-Th noon-10PM, F noon-midnight, Sa 10AM-midnight, Su 10AM-10PM. 1 race $27.95, 2 races $49.95, 3 races $64.95.
- 7 Rock Creek Trail, 20900 NW Amberwood. Park with paved trails for walking and biking
- 8 Topgolf, 5505 NE Huffman St, ☏ . Su-Th 10AM-11PM; open F Sa until midnight.
- 9 Washington County Fair Complex (Fairgrounds), (office) 873 NE 34th St (NE Cornell St & 28th Ave, south of the airport), ☏ . Washington County fair happens annually for 3 or 4 days in July. In other times of the years the fairground hosts different public events such as Portland Rose Festival events, car shows, flea markets/swap meets, and exhibitions, which may be of an interest to visitors.
- 1 Costco, 1255 NE 48th Ave (NE 48th Ave & Airport Rd), ☏ . Wholesale with bulk food at cheap prices. Also equipped with a gas station, optical center and food court.
- 2 The Streets of Tanasbourne, 19350 NW Emma Way (exit 64 from US 26, south on NW 185th Ave, right on Cornell). M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM. An open-air shopping mall in eastern Hillsboro that is home to 55 stores, including Macy's and REI.
- 3 Tanasbourne Town Center (formerly Tanasbourne Mall), 2150-2855 NE Town Center Dr & 11460-2800 NE Evergreen Pkwy (NE Town Center Dr (NW 185th Ave) & Cornell). It consists of Best Buy, Bed Bath Beyond, Famous Footwear, Marshalls, Michaels, Nordstorm Rack, Old Navy, Ross Dress for Less, Pier 1 Import, Target, Ulta, etc.
- 4 Tanasbourne Village, 1981-2473 NW 185th Ave (NW 185th Ave & Evergreen Pkwy). DSW Shoes, Rite Aid, Safeway, Trader Joe's, FedEx Office, Key Bank, Hallmark Gold Crown, etc.
- 1 [dead link] Amelia's Restaurant, 105 NE 4th Ave, ☏ . Very good steak, freshly made tortillas, and really good overall food and service. $10.
- 2 Helvetia Tavern, 10275 NW Helvetia Rd, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM. A 15- to 20-minute drive to a rural area west of town, but outstanding burgers, fries and onion rings. Good selection of local and national beers on tap.
- 3 Killer Burger, 2130 NW Allie Way #610, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. All burgers include bacon.
- 4 McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse, 4045 NE Cornelius Pass Rd, ☏ . Su-M 11AM-11PM, Tu-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 11AM-1AM. McMenamins brewery at a former farmstead with an eight-sided barn. Beautiful decoration, good burgers and local beers on tap. The farm's former milk shed houses a smaller bar with a wood stove, where cigar smoking is allowed.
- 5 Salam, 1002 NE Orenco Station Parkway, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM. Lebanese and Persian cuisine. Fantastic for lunch or dinner.
- 6 Swagat Indian Cuisine, 1340 NE Orenco Station Pkwy, ☏ . 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5-9:30PM. Indian restaurant with an all you can eat buffet for lunch and a dinner menu for dinner
- 7 Schmizza Public House, 998 NE Orenco Station Parkway, ☏ . Full American menu, including pizza, burgers and local beers on tap.
- 8 [dead link] Syun Izakaya, 209 NE Lincoln St., ☏ . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM. Japanese restaurant in a cozy venue in downtown Hillsboro.
- 1 Orenco Taphouse, 1198 NE Orenco Station Pkwy, email@example.com. M-Th 3-11PM, F-Su noon-midnight. Taphouse with 20 rotating craft beers on tap. Ciders, wines and bottled beers are also available. The venue doesn't serve any food, but outside food is welcome. Dog friendly and with a great outside seating area.
- 2 ABV public house, 5670 NE Clara Lane, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Great selection of tap and bottled beers. Good burgers and sandwiches
- 3 Three Mugs Brewing Company, 2020 NE Aloclek Dr Suite 108 (NE Aloclek Dr & Cornelius Pass), ☏ . 2-10PM. Family-run local gem that serves good, small-batch beers made on site. Not well-known even by people living nearby but fun, relaxed Irish pub atmosphere. Free popcorn: they serve limited snacks but you can bring food to eat there.
- 1 Extended Stay America Portland - Hillsboro, 10081 NE Cornell Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 2 Hampton Inn & Suites Portland/Hillsboro-Evergreen Park, 9399 NE Tanasbourne Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 3 Aloft Hillsboro-Beaverton, 1705 NE Amberglen Ct (across the street from Amberglen Park), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 4 Courtyard Portland Hillsboro, 3050 NE Stucki Pl, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon.
- 5 Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, Oregon, 9355 NE Tanasbourne Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 6 Holiday Inn Express Portland West/Hillsboro, 5900 NE Ray Cir, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Complimentary breakfast buffet
- 7 Holiday Inn Portland West/Hillsboro, 2575 NE Aloclek Dr (SW corner of NE Cornell Rd/Aloclek), ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 8 Home2 Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, 9790 NE Tanasbourne Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 9 Larkspur Landing Hillsboro, 3133 NE Shute Rd (SW corner of NE Brookwood Pkwy/Shute), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel offers free shuttle service and grocery shopping service. Rooms come with full kitchen and there is a weekly Social Hour.
- 10 Residence Inn Portland Hillsboro, 10555 NE Tanasbourne Dr, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon.
- 11 Residence Inn Portland Hillsboro/Brookwood, 3160 NE Brookwood Pkwy, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 12 SpringHill Suites Portland Hillsboro, 6550 NE Butler St (in Crossroads at Orenco Station), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 13 Staybridge Suites Hillsboro - Orenco Station, 7715 NE Cherry Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 14 TownePlace Suites Portland Hillsboro, 6550 NE Brighton St (NW corner of NE Cornell Rd/Century Blvd), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 15 Staybridge Suites Hillsboro North, 6225 NE Casper Ct, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 16 The Orenco (Orenco Manor), 1457 NE Orenco Station Pkwy, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 1 Hillsboro Brookwood Library, 2850 NE Brookwood Pkwy (Along NE Brookwood Pkwy next to the airport), ☏ . M-Th 10AM-8PM, F-Su 10AM-6PM. Internet connection on their computers or Wifi for your own laptop or mobile device. They also have a 2 Shute Park Library Branch at 775 SE 10th Ave in downtown next to Shute Park along SE 10th Ave (SR-8) between SE Cedar & Maple.
- 3 Hillsboro Post Office (US Postal Service), 125 S 1st St (S 1st & W Main, between Hillsboro Civic Center & The Mark O'Hatfield Government Center Station). M-F 8AM-5PM, Sa 9:30AM-1:30PM.
- 4 Evergreen Pkwy Post Office (US Postal Service), 3685 NE Aloclek Dr (NE Aloclek Dr & Evergreen Pkwy), ☏ . M-F 9:30AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM.
|Routes through Hillsboro|
|Ends at N S ←||W E||→ Beaverton → Portland|
|Jct ← Forest Grove ← Cornelius ←||W E||→ Aloha → Beaverton → Jct|
|END ←||N S||→ Jct at Farmington → Jct at Scholls → Newberg|