Clear Lake is a district of Houston.
Clear Lake lies to the southeast of downtown, towards Galveston. The Clear Lake area includes the communities of Clear Lake City, Clear Lake Shores, El Lago, Kemah, League City, Nassau Bay, Seabrook, Taylor Lake Village, and Webster.
A large sheltered bay and the area around it is a local recreation center. The area is home to NASA's Johnson Space Center, a growing medical center, and seafood vendors. The area's boating opportunities are considered second only to those of Miami. Fishing, swimming, hiking, and history are also popular activities in the area.
- 1 Space Center Houston, 1601 NASA Road 1, Webster (I-45 to NASA Parkway Eastbound via bypass, left turn at light into parking area. U-turn at Saturn Lane if passed. Left turn on Saturn Lane and right into Johnson Space Center for employees and official visitors only.), ☏ . Summer hours: June 10AM-7PM, July 9AM-7PM, August 10AM-5PM, 10AM-7PM Weekends. Winter hours: Mon-Fri 10AM-5PM, Sat-Sun 10AM-6PM.. Indoor fun space museum with lots of hands-on space-science exhibits and artifacts from the full history of U.S. space exploration. A big hit with kids, but informative for adults. A highlight are the two tram tours of NASA's Johnson Space Center, one of which includes a visit to Mission Control and actual Apollo and Mercury launch vehicles, the other focuses on astronaut training facilities. Discount coupons are found in many local hotel brochures. $17.95 Adults, $13.95 Children (4-11), discounts for seniors. Parking $5.
- 2 Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC), 8500 Bay Area Blvd (From I-45 take exit 26 east 8 miles), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Wed-Sat 9AM-5PM, Sun 12-5PM. The largest urban wilderness preserve in the US, containing 2500 acres of the natural wetlands forest, prairie and marsh habitats once abundant in the Houston/Galveston area. ABNC is home to over 370 species of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians. ABNC offers hiking trails, exhibits, field trips, Scout programs, birding, a historic farm and fun for all. $4 adults $2 seniors and children 4-12.
- El Jardin del Mar Beach (near Seabrook along Todville Road). The beach, referred to by locals as 'The Dean', is located along the shores of Galveston Bay.
- 1 Kemah Boardwalk. An amusement park on the boardwalk. Includes a roller coaster, numerous other rides, restaurants, boats, and more.
There are several marinas that offer various yachting services. Consider chartering a sailboat for half a day, or looking into a weekend-long sailing certification course.
- At the Helm Charters and Sailing School, ☏ .
- Captain Kidd Charters, ☏ .
- Gateway Charters/Southwest Sailing Ventures, ☏ .
- Houston Yacht Sales Inc., ☏ .
- Lighthouse Charters, ☏ .
The area is renowned for its fishing. Red Drum are a popular hunt, as are croaker, flounder, and trout.
- Flipt, 243 Marina Bay Dr, ☏ . Sporting goods, including kayaks and canoes.
- Marburgers Sporting Goods, 1400 Bayport Blvd, Seabrook (north on TX-146, just over the bridge, an orange building on the right side), ☏ . Outfit for hunting or fishing. Knowledgable staff, decent selection.
- 1 Baybrook Mall, 500 Baybrook Mall (IH-45 South at Bay Area Blvd.), Friendswood, ☏ . 10AM-9PM Mo-Sa, 11AM-7PM Su.
- Tokyo Bowl, 2402 Bay Area Blvd., ☏ . Japanese fast food. $10.
- Pho 21, 2443 Bay Area Blvd., (281) 990-8099 Vietnamese Pho noodle soup
- BJ's Restaurant and Brewery, 515 W. Bay Area Blvd., Webster (I-45 to Bay Area Blvd Eastbound, past 3 lights and on right.), ☏ , fax: . 11AM-midnight M-Th, 11AM-1AM Fr. A brewpub with several BJ's signature brews (their recipes brewed locally by St. Arnold's Brewery in NW Houston) and a variety of microbrews available. $4/pt.
- Molly's Pub, 902 Ramada Dr, Houston, TX 77062 (Just west of El Camino Real on Ramada), ☏ . Neighborhood pub offering games, TVs & drink specials, plus an ample covered patio in relaxed digs. Great tap selection and Wednesdays are Big Ass Beer Nights with $3.75 20oz. schooners of any beer on tap.
- Best Western NASA, 889 W Bay Area Blvd, ☏ , fax: .
- [formerly dead link] Microtel Inn & Suites - Clear Lake, 1620 Nasa Rd 1, ☏ . Economy/budget hotel offering guests free local and free long distance calls in the continental United States, and free wireless high-speed Internet access in every room of their hotels, as well as advance online check-in and check-out with unlimited access to online folio information.
- Motel 6 Houston - NASA, 1001 West NASA Rd 1, ☏ , fax: .
- Alvin - About 10 miles down Route 528 is the hometown of famous baseball pitcher Nolan Ryan.