Jokioinen is in Tavastia Proper. With a population of approximately 5,000 in 2021, the municipality's history can be traced back to the 16th century when the Jokioinen estate was established. The estate was an important contributor to the Finnish economy until the 20th century, when it was split into more than a thousand homes and small farms.
Many of the tourists who visit the region do so due to the Jokioinen Museum Railway.
Ypäjä is the premier centre of horsemanship education in Finland.
There are buses from the nearby city of Forssa. In addition routes from Turku, Hämeenlinna, Lahti and Loimaa pass Jokioinen using the stop at the highway junction: Jokioinen th.
Jokionen is about equidistant from Helsinki, Tampere and Turku.
A narrow gauge heritage railway goes from Humppila on the Turku–Tampere railway to Jokioinen, serviced by museum trains Sundays in summer.
- Taksi Häme, iTaksi: see Tavastia Proper#By taxi
- Smartphone app: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Elonkierto (at the shore of Loimijoki river). in the summer. A permanent exhibition by the Governmental Farming and Food Research Center (MTT) where you can learn about farming and the environment. Free.
- The church of Jokioinen, Kirkkotie 2. A wooden church built in 1631 and renovated in 1862 with small windows, a beautiful tower and crystal chandeliers. It is one of the oldest wooden churches still in use in Finland.
- The nail museum (Naulamuseo), Humppilantie 8, ☏ +358 3 418-2420. open summer weekends. The former nail factory is nowadays a museum exhibiting 19th century metal product manufacturing. Free.
- 1 The Priest Manor Museum (Pappilamuseo), Vaulammintie 2. Open summer weekends. In this museum you can learn about the daily life of 19th-century clergymen. Free.
- 2 Tapulimakasiinin taidenäyttelyt, Kirkkotie 2 (next to the manor), ☏ +358 3 418-2420. in the summer months: Tu–Su 11:00–18:00. An art gallery with various exhibitions during the summer. Free.
- Wendla garden (Wendlan puutarha), Humppilantie 9 (next to the manor). in the summer. Traditional flowers, plants and herbs can be seen in the garden of the manor. Free.
- 3 Finnish Horse Racing Museum (Suomen Hevosurheilumuseo), Kerhotie 11, Ypäjä, ☏ +358 2 548-0005. F Sa 10:00–16:00. Though humble, there is a large history inside, with a show and the attraction of a cavalry exhibit. €5.
- Museum railway. Each Sunday in the summer. Narrow gauge museum railway (Jokioinen–Minkiö–Humppila) with museum. In the summer you can travel on board an old-fashioned narrow-gauge train pulled by a steam locomotive from Jokioinen via Minkiö to Humppila. It may also be possible to hire a draisine. Café and souvenir shop. €2 (one stop) to €20 (all day), return trip Humppila–Jokionen €14, children (4–12) half price; museum free.
- 1 Minkiö station, Kiipuntie 48, ☏ +358 3 433-3235. The narrow gauge railway museum and the main facilities of the railway, including workshops and the various old locomotives and wagons not in use for the moment.
- 2 Jokioinen station, ☏ +358 3 438-3009.
- The village blacksmith's days of culture (Kyläsepän kulttuuripäivät), Luodesuontie 97, ☏ +358 3 438-5434, fax: +358 3 438 430. June, July and August. Various cultural happenings during the summer such as theatre and music performances, poetry evenings and sing along events. €15/5.
- Cafe Venla, Keskuskatu 29 A (in the town hall), ☏ +358 3 418-2231. M–F 08:00–15:00, food served 11:00–13:30.
- Ravintola Ometta, Humppilantie 9 A (in Tietotalo building, opposite the manor), ☏ +358 400-615-636. M–F 08:00–15:00.
- Neste Café Monttu, Keskuskatu 17, ☏ +358 3 438-3312. M–F 06:15–21:00, Sa 08:00–21:00, Su 09:00–21:00; lunch buffet M–F 10:30–14:00. A café at the Neste gas station with coffee, pastries and fast food.
- Kahvila ja Leipämyymälä P. Rantanen, Leenankuja 1, Pellilä, ☏ +358 3 424-1025. M–F 07:30–17:00, Sa 08:00–13:00. Coffee, bread and pastries.
Bars and pubs
- 1 Ravintola Ferraria, Keskuskatu 15, ☏ +358 3 438-2700. M–Th Su 10:00–00:00, F Sa 10:00–03:00. A pub-restaurant, that also offers take-away pizza.
- [dead link] Perälän tilan kota, Tuohisaarentie 172, Latovainio, ☏ +358 3 433-0014, fax: +358 3 433-0014. A cottage in the forest operated by a farm. €10/person.
- Hunajakoto, Hunajatie 6 (access from Koskelontie), ☏ +358 40-840-4647. B&B in what has been a 1920s home of the boss of a sugar factory. Also a good place to arrange conferences. €65–105.
- [dead link] Kuuman hevoset maatilamajoitus, Kuumantie 380, Kuuma, ☏ +358 3 433-3171. B&B in double rooms, each room has a bathroom and cooking facilities. €70.
- Parilon lomamökki (Kuuma village, Jokioinen), ☏ +358 400-716-998. Cottage accommodation with cooking facilities and TV. Outdoors there is a sauna and a lake if you'd like to swim. €300/week, €150/weekend.
In the summer you can take the old narrow gauge heritage train to Humppila on the Turku–Tampere railway.
|Routes through Jokioinen|
|Turku ← Inland of Finland Proper ←||SW NE||→ Forssa → Hämeenlinna|