Forssa is a town of 18000 inhabitants in Tavastia Proper.
In the late 1800s, Forssa began to develop as an important center for textile manufacturing. The town was known for its cotton mills and other textile factories, which provided employment to thousands of people in the region.
If you draw a triangle where the corners are the three most populous areas in Finland - Helsinki, Tampere and Turku – Forssa is situated roughly in the middle, about 100 km from each of them. Forssa does not have an airport or railway station, so the only way to get in is by car or coach.
Forssa has coach connections from Helsinki, Pori, Turku, Lahti, Hämeenlinna and Loimaa. The 1 Bus station is in the centre. Onnibus uses the 2 Autokeidas stop 4 km from the centre, at the junction of highways 2 and 10.
Coming via Tallinn or Stockholm, there may be coach connections from the ports of Helsinki with arranged transfer, mostly via Kamppi. Coming via Turku harbour, there may be a direct service from the ferry terminal to Forssa.
Humppila is the nearest (21 km away) train station on the Turku–Tampere railway, with a train most hours in daytime. There are few daily connection buses between Humppila railway station and Forssa bus station. There is a railway station also in nearby Jokioinen, on a heritage narrow gauge railway from Humppila on the Turku–Tampere railway, serviced Sundays in summer.
For local transport needs, dial-a-ride Tyykikyyti is available. The ride is ordered by calling the car's telephone number (+358 44 5555 812) in good time, preferably the day before or by agreeing with the driver on the previous trip.
- Taksi Häme, iTaksi: see Tavastia_Proper#By_taxi
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 The museums of the old textile factory (Kehräämöalueen museot), Wahreninkatu 12. After the large Finlayson textile factory closed down in 2008, the buildings are used for various cultural events and hosts some museums such as Forssa museum, the Museum of Natural history and of course the Textile museum Tykki.
- 2 Forssa church, in the city centre. A Neo-Gothic Lutheran church which was finished in 1917.
- 3 Forssan Elävienkuvienteatteri, Keskuskatu 1. The old rural cinema is from 1906, which make it the oldest functioning movie theater in Finland. Silent movie festivals (see Events section) are held annually at the turn of August and September.
- 4 Parks. There are 110 different parks in Forssa, with a combined area of 303 hectares. The most central is Ankkalammi next to the market square where swans swim in the summer.
- 1 Vesihelmi Spa (Viihdeuimala Vesihelmi), Eteläinen puistokatu 2. A spa, about 1 km from the city centre. The large spa department offers therapy pool, children's pool, jacuzzis, cold pool, fitness pool, wave pool, family pool and water slide. Spa from €6 to €8, other services available also..
- 2 Liesjärvi National Park (22km towards Helsinki along national road 2). Heritage farm, lake and esker landscapes
- 3 Torronsuo National Park (3km towards Helsinki along national road 2, then 7km along road 282). Forests, eskers and rocks surrounding Finland's deepest bog. The large mire area is important for many birds.
- Holjat. 2018: 2–4 August. A pop music festival held each summer.
- Pick-Nick. 2018: 5 August. Oldtimer car show held on the horse track each summer, the next one will be in early August 2016. free entry, parking fee €10.
- Silent movie festival (Mykkäelokuvafestivaalit). 2018: 27 August–2 September. Yes, the silent films have their own festival, which are performed annually at Forssan Elävienkuvienteatteri.
There are several restaurants. See also Drink and Sleep below.
- 1 Gusto, Keskuskatu 6, ☏ +358 45-256-2973, email@example.com. W–Th 16:00–21:00, F 16:00–22:00, Sa 13:00–22:00, Su 13:00–18:00. Pizzeria. €15–20.
- 2 Ravintola Vapriikki, Kutomonkuja 2 A 6-7, ☏ +358 50 324 8699, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Kahvila Wanhakoulu, Joosentie 1. A cosy cafe in a former school near the Prisma shopping mall. On weekdays they have a soup lunch offer at €5.
- 1 Autokeidas Forssa Motelli, Keitaankatu 1, ☏ +358 50 917 5534. Open 24/7. Rooms are equipped with high-speed internet access, television, refrigerator and rooms with sauna are also available. A breakfast is included in the price.
- 2 Hotelli Mesku, Saarelankatu 12, ☏ +358 3 41 941, email@example.com. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel you will find a beach with jumping towers, an ice rink & training hall, a sports field and outdoor sports areas for an active holiday.
- 3 Fabrik, Hämeentie 7, ☏ +358 40-484-8111, firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel and restaurant. €100–120; salad and burger meals €15–20.
- 4 Keppana Kellari & Koivulan lomamökit, Koivulantie 6 (Liesjärvi in Tammela, 30 km south-east from Forssa), ☏ +358 3 435-5308 (restaurant), +358 3 422-2308 (reception), email@example.com. Summer 12:00–19:00, peak season 11:00–21:00. Restaurant and cottages. The cottages are mainly rented for a week or all summer, but a weekend, night or just an evening possible. Cleaning not included. Peaceful environment, in the outskirts of a small village. Beach. Trails of Liesjärvi National Park 4–6 km away on roads and pathways through the woods. Meals €17–40; cottages €100/day/2 persons, €350–650/week; linen €15/set.
- 4 Saari Folk Park (Saaren Kansanpuisto). In the municipality of Tammela, 15 km southeast of Forssa.
|Routes through Forssa|
|Turku ← Jokioinen ←||SW NE||→ Hämeenlinna → Tuulos|
|Pori ← Huittinen ←||NW SE||→ Karkkila → Helsinki|