Europe > Nordic countries > Finland > Southern Finland > Tavastia Proper
Tavastia Proper (Kanta-Häme) is a region in Southern Finland.
Tampere airport is Ryanair's destination in Finland so there are a couple of direct flights to odd airports in Europe, in addition to some flights to Scandinavian destinations. Turku has some international flights, most of them operated by Wizz Air.
The main railroad north from Helsinki goes through Tavastia Proper, so especially from Helsinki or Tampere it is quite easy to get to places like Hämeenlinna and Riihimäki by train; also all buses going northwest from Helsinki travel along Freeway 3 and stop in cities along the way. To reach the western parts of the region, take the bus.
Trains of national operator VR are possible to use for travelling inside province.
Matkahuolto has a dense bus network covering most of the province.
Onnibus offers discount bus service by few routes.
Google Maps includes timetables of trains, long distance buses and local transport of many cities and towns. Other useful route planners are Matka.fi for trains and local buses and Matkahuolto Reittiopas for regional buses.
- Taksi Häme, ☏ (€2.76/call + €0.35/min - queuing toll-free 1½ min). Hämeenlinna-based company. Can be booked through the 0100 0700 app. Fixed price based on calculated route and time if destination address given when booking by app.
- iTaksi, ☏ (high cost?), ✉ email@example.com. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. €4.00/6.00+€0.90/km+€0.85/min.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä
- Häme Castle in Hämeenlinna
- Tanks at the tank museum in Parola, Hämeenlinna
- The various museums in the old textile factory of Forssa.
- Hike in Saari and Torronsuo National Parks in Tammela
- Take an old-fashioned train trip from Humppila to Jokioinen
- Walk around in the Aulanko nature park and Ahvenisto ridge area near Hämeenlinna.
Tavastia Proper region is a safe place.