South Kolkata is a district of Kolkata. It is less congested and more modern when compared to the rest of the city. One will find more apartment blocks and green patches. The neighbourhoods covered are: Ballygunge, Gariahat, Bhawanipur, Alipore, Chetla, New Alipore and Rash Behari.
South Kolkata can be easily reached from the central regions like Dharmatala and Sealdah easily by bus, taxi or metro railway. From north Kolkata the number of buses is slightly low, but metro railway is always an option. There also are bus links with the East and the Southern fringes. There is a railway system linking the city to the suburbs, and a part of this system passes through the city.
Buses have the most extensive coverage, and is inexpensive. You can travel 20 km at around ₹10. The exact fare depends on the type of bus, whether it is a state bus, a mini bus, or a private bus.
Point to point auto rickshaws are a cheap and popular means of transport, in most parts of the city, except the central business district. These accommodate four passengers and charge individually.
Taxis are a fast mode of transport, and offer you more comfort and privacy than the other modes. However, they are much more expensive than buses or metro rail. There are many agencies that provide hired cars - AC and non-AC. They charge per km or per hour, whichever is higher.
Metro railway is the fastest and the most convenient way to reach south Kolkata. However, there is only one route which runs along the city from north to south. This means you may have to change to other modes of transport to reach your destination. Trains run every 10-15 minutes and at ₹4-₹12. It runs from 8AM to 9:45PM from Monday to Saturday and 2PM to 9:45PM on Sunday.
The metro runs from Dum Dum in the north to Kavi Subhas (New Garia) in the south-east. The entire metro route within South Kolkata is underground. The metro stations in South Kolkata are:
- 1 Jatin Das Park metro station (Hazra Morh).
- 2 Kalighat metro station (Rashbehari Morh / Crossing of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Road and Rashbehari Avenue).
- 3 Netaji Bhawan metro station (Bhawanipur).
- 4 Rabindra Sadan metro station.
- 5 Rabindra Sarobar metro station (Change over to overground sub-urban railway at Tollygunge railway station).
The suburban overground railway tracks pass through the eastern and southern edges of South Kolkata. The Park Circus-Majherhat section is also used by the circular railway system. The stations in South Kolkata are:
- 6 Ballygunge railway station.
- 7 Dhakuria railway station.
- 8 Khidirpur railway station (Circular Railway only).
- 9 Lake Gardens railway station.
- 10 Majherhat railway station.
- 11 New Alipur railway station.
- 12 Park Circus railway station.
- 13 Remount Road railway station (Circular Railway only).
- 14 Tollygunge railway station (Change for Rabndra Sarovar Metro).
- 15 Bidhan Ghat, Strand Rd,Hastings (Near to Tolly Canal).
- 1 Bhukailash Temple, Karl Marx Sarani, Khidirpur (Near to Babu Bazar).
- 2 Birla Temple (Radha-Krishna Temple, Birla Mandir), 2 Queens Park Road, Ashutosh Chowdary Ave (Ballygunge Phari Bus Stop). 5:30AM to 11AM and 4:30PM to 9PM. The most modernly-opulent in Kolkata and worth a visit. The adjoining tree-lined lane Queen's Park is the most exclusive and fashionable address in the city and is worth a stroll through. Some of the biggest names in the city call it home. A close second is Sunny Park, running parallel to Queen's Park on the other side of the Birla Temple.
- 3 Durga Mandir, 127A, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rd (Tollygunge PS Bus Stop), ☎ .
- 4 Ismail Mosque (Masjid Ismail), Karl Marx Sarani, Khidirpur, (Near to Babu Bazar).
- 5 Kalighat Temple, Kali Mandir Road (Metro 'Jatin Das Park Metro'). Houses Kolkata's patron deity. According to the legend, when Lord Shiva’s wife Parvati’s body was cut up, one of her fingers fell here. Rebuilt in 1809, this is an important shrine of Hindu Shakti worship
- 6 Lord Soni dev Temple, Harish Chatterjee Street (Tolly Canal Embankment).
- 7 Birla Industrial & Technological Museum, 19A, Gurusaday Road, Kolkata - 700 019, ☎ . , , daily 10AM-5:30PM. is a modern museum with lots of interesting artifacts, shows, events and activities, primarily popular with school-going children. The exhibitions, many of them demanding you to take an active part, can compete with one you could visit in countries like the United States. ₹15; special presentations are charged extra.
- 8 CIMA Art Gallery, Sunny Towers, 43 Ashutosh Chowdhury Avenue, Kolkata-700 019 (close to the Birla Temple), ☎ , e-mail: , email@example.com. M 3PM-7PM; Tu-Sa 11AM-7PM. The "Centre of International Modern Art" is a small museum showing modern artworks. free.
- 9 Former Belvedere House, now the National Library (Ministry of Culture, Government of India?), Belvedere Road, Alipore (south of Kolkata - near Alipore Zoo - M: Netaji Bhavan 1.3km E), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 9:00-20:00; Sa-Su, holidays: 9:30-18:00. This is a stately mansion. Once home of the British Viceroys, Belvedere House is now the National Library. Oldest Library in India with a huge collection, including some rarities. It houses over a million books and is the biggest in India. A must is a day spent at Science City. Pick your special thrill at this exposition park. A space theatre, space flight simulator, recreated Jurassic forest, aviary and butterfly corner and much more ! - Main Campus Tel:+91-33-2479 1381 to 87, Director's Phone: +91 33-2479 2968, Librarian (PLIO): 91-33-2479 2467
- 10 Indian Government Mint, Alipore Mint Colony, New Alipore (South from Majherhat railway station), ☎ .
- 11 Nirmal Hriday (Mother Theresa's home for destitutes). The home for the destitute is just next door to the Kalighat temple. If you are bold, have a look into the building to see the people lying in big dormitories and being cared for by some sisters of the Missionaries of Charity.
- 12 Mother House (Missionaries of Charity), Entally.
- 13 Rabindra Sarovar (Near to Lake Gardens railway station). It is a large open lake and park area housing boating clubs, an open air theatre and eateries. The rowing regatta events are held here.
- 14 Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Golpark, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Houses a bookstore and a library, among other amenities, with Ramakrishna-Vivekananda literature. It has an auditorium and a well-maintained guest house.
- Inox (Watch films), Forum Mall, Elgin Rd.
- 1 Vivekananda Park, Kavi Bharathi Road, Southern Park, Lake Gardens (Vivekananda Park Bus Stop).
- 2 [dead link]Alipore Zoo (Zoological Gardens of Kolkata), No.2 Alipore Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. F-W 09:00-17:00, aquarium 10:30-17:00. Built on 6 ha of land in 1876. The lakes within are a favourite retreat for migratory Siberian birds. Zoo ₹20, aquarium ₹5, Video Photography ₹250 per hour.
- 3 Bhawanipore Cemetery, Debendra Lal Khan Rd, Bhawanipur.
- 4 Horticultural Garden, 1, Alipore Road (South from National Library, - Remount Road railway station 0.8 km). A lush environ and also the venue for exotic plant and flower exhibitions. This spread over 21 acres comprising main lawns and informal gardens and children park, having many rare and tropical plants.
- 5 Kalighat Park, 61, Shyam Prasad Mukherjee Rd, Manoharpukur, Kalighat (Kalighat Metro Station 0.4 km).
- 6 [dead link]Lions Safari Park, Moiras Street, lake Terrace, Dhakuria (Vivekananda Park Bus Stop).
- 7 Padma Pukur Park, Kavi Bharati Sarani Road, Lake Gardens (On the lakeshore).
- 8 Calcutta Cricket Centre, ~107, Southern Ave, lake Terrace, (On the northern lakeshore of the Rabindra Sarovar).
- 9 Rabindra Sarovar Stadium, Moira Street, Hindustan Par (Sarat Bose Southern Avenue Crossing Bus Stop. - Watch sporting activities). Multi-use stadium. Can accommodate 40,000 spectators.
- 2 Fancy Market, ~22, Karl Marx Sarani, Khidirpur. Consumer goods market - lots of foreign goods. Fancy items, fancy prices. Beware of fakes.
- 3 Kidderpore Babu Bazar, Bhukailash Road, Khidirpur (From Fancy Market 300m west).
- 4 Dakhsinapan Shopping Complex, Dhakuria. Tu-Sa 11:00-19:30, and Mondays after 14:00. Closed on Sunday.. It is an excellent place to buy Indian handicrafts and artifacts. There are many Indian state government emporiums there, stocked with fixed price goods from all over the country. It also has clothes shops, eateries et al.
- 5 The Forum, 10/3 Elgin Rd. Tu-Sa 10:00-21:00, M 13:00-20:00, Closed Sunday.. There is an appealing range of upmarket shops housed across six floors. Forum is a centre of fashion and there are many beautiful clothes, accessories, and shoes to choose from. For those with nostalgia about things foreign, can find shops selling Belgian chocolates, English biscuits and so on. - Restaurants here: Oh! Calcutta(Tel.:+91 33 22837161, Mains from ₹150, Excellent Bengali food).- Ar-Han-Thai (Lebanese & Thai food), - Spaghetti Kitchen (Italian food), Starstruck (Chinese, Continental, North Indian, Mughlai)
- 6 Gariahat. Gariahat which comes under Ballygunge area is the biggest shopping district of Kolkata, where one can find shops ranging from branded showrooms and malls to numerous smaller shops. It has a good market for saris and other clothing items. The shops are spread along both Rashbehari Avenue and Gariahat Road, and extends into the lanes.
- 7 Gariahat Mall, Ballygunge.
- 8 Merlin Homeland Mall, 18B Asutosh Mukherjee Road, Bhawanipur. Homeland Mall is one stop mall for house building materials and interior decor items. E Zone Electronic Mall is next to it.
- For South City Mall see Kolkata/Southern fringes
- 1 South City Mall, Prince Anwar Shah Road (Taltala Bus Stop). It has a on the third floor with a number of restaurants. Most of the restaurants have bars. The restaurants are splurge/mid-range. Apart from restaurants at the edges there is a big open space in the middle with seating arrangements. This area is served by KFC and other outlets serving food ranging from South Indian to Kababs. The open space food outlets are comparatively less costly. Spencer's also have a food zone within their outlet in the basement. Restaurants (on the 3rd floor): Mainland China Restaurant (Tel.+91 33 64578361, Innovative Chinese food), - Flame & Grill (Variety of Kababs served hot), - Zara The Tapas Bar and Restaurant (Mediterranean food), - Benjarong (Thai food), Sarson, Subway (fast food), KFC (fast food), Pizza Hut
Lake Gardens & Jodhpur Park
- 2 Chakhna Shakna Punjabi Dhaba (Flavours of Punjab.), 259-B, Lake-Gardens, Kol-45 (Near Ram-Mohan Mission School,), ☎ . , Specialist on Punjabi, Tandoori & North Indian Cuisine. Free Home Food Delivery or Sit'n'Dine service.
- Domino's Pizza, 1/432 Gariahat Road South, Jodhpur Park, ☎ . , , 11AM to 11PM.
- Don Giovanni's, 1/114 Jodhpur Park, ☎ . ,
- Tandoor Park, 28/4 Gariahat Road South (Near Jodhpur Park Post Office), ☎ . , , ,
Gariahat & surrounding areas
- Bhojohari Manna, 18/1A, Hindustan Rd, ☎ . , Authentic Bengali food. Fish and vegetarian speciality - sukto, mochar ghanto, chital macher muitha, chingri macher malaikari, kankra (crab) et al . Mutton Dak Bungalow has become a trade mark. No hard drinks.
- Bhojohari Manna, 9/18 Ekdalia Rd. Mostly for take-away service. Food also served.
- Chinese Pavilion, P 21 Old Ballygunge Rd (At Ballygunge Phari crossing), ☎ . Chinese and Thai cuisine
- Corn N Kebab, 5th Floor Gariahat Mall, 13 Jamir Lane.
- The Dhaba, Ballygunge Phari, ☎ . , North Indian and Chinese cuisine. Try out Punjabi speciality;makka di roti and sarson di saag
- Krystal Chopstick, 71 H, Hindustan Park (Opposite Basanti Devi College), ☎ .
- Mirch Masala, 49/2 Gariahat Rd (Near Pantaloons), ☎ . , Great Punjabi food, also has a Chinese restaurant.Drinks served.
- 6 Ballygunge Place, 6 Ballygunge Pl, ☎ . , Bengali & North Indian cuisine. Buffet lunch ₹375 (Monday to Friday), ₹425 (Saturday). No drinks.
- [dead link]South India Club Canteen, 70 B, Hindustan Park, ☎ . Budget restaurant. Place not posh but tasty food.
- Tero Parban, 49C Purna Das Rd (Near Gol Park), ☎ .
Lake Market-Deshapriya Park
- Banana Leaf (A unit of Komala Vilas), 74&75 Rashbehari Ave (Near Lake Market), ☎ . , South Indian vegetarian snacks and thali meal. Great food. Authentic South Indian taste - very different from the road side stalls catering to Bengali taste.
- Khawab, 166A, Sarat Bose Rd (Near National High School For Girls), ☎ . , , Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani, Mutton Rogan Josh.
- Kurry Club, 176 Sarat Bose Rd, ☎ . Mexican, Italian and other cuisine
- Tamarind, 177 Sarat Bose Rd (Near Deshapriya Park), ☎ . South Indian Non-vegetarian. Snacks like idli and dosha not available. Specialised main meal dishes. Enjoy Keralian food, Coorgi dishes et al.
- Zeeshan, 187 Sarat Bose Rd (Near Deshapriya Park), ☎ . Great Mughlai food
- Bhojohari Manna, 23A, Priyanath Mallick St (Near Hazra Morh), ☎ . Authentic and traditional Bengali food
- Bonophul, 28A, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rd (Near Bharati Cinema Hall), ☎ .
- Bijoli Grill, 38 Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rd, ☎ .
- Pepper Chino, 37 Sarat Bose Rd (Opposite Lakshmi Narayan Temple), ☎ .
- Sangu Valley Restaurant, 6A, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rd, ☎ . , 8583962171
- Arsalan, Park Circus five-point crossing, ☎ . , Biryani and Mughlai food.
- Jimmy's Kitchen, 7/1A, AJC Bose Rd (AJC Bose Road-Shakespeare Sarani crossing), ☎ . , Chinese food. Drinks available.
- Only Alibaba, 28A, Syed Amir Ali Ave, ☎ . Biryani and M ghlai food
- Shiraz Golden Restaurant, 135 Park St (Near AJC Bose Road crossing), ☎ . Biryani and Mughlai food
- Zeeshan, 17 Syed Amir Ali Ave, ☎ . , Biryani and Mughlai food.
Alipore & New Alipore
- Amrit National Hotel, 43 Diamond Harbour Rd (Mominpur Bus Stop), ☎ . Budget restaurant. Biryani and Mughlai food.
- Arsalan, 23A/29 Diamond Harbour Rd (Opposite Mint), ☎ . Biryani and Mughlai food. Mid-range restaurant.
- 3 Bhaatti-e Swaad-e-Punjab, 19/6 Block J, Shahpur Colony (Near Triangular Park, Majerhat Station ~1,0km N, Taratalla stop West 0.5km), ☎ . North Indian food.
- 4 India Restaurant, 34 Karl Marx Sarani (Near Fancy Market), ☎ .
- 5 Sheesh Mahal, 28 Karl Marx Sarani (Near Fancy Market), ☎ .
- Note: For places to eat in Tangra/ China Town see Kolkata/East, for the Park Street area see Kolkata/Esplanade
The Lassi at Sharma's Confectioners in Mandeville Gardens is worth checking out.
- 1 Fern Hotel & Restaurant, ☎ . , 9831477704
- 2 Hotel Komala Vilas, 74&75 Rashbehari Ave (Near Lake Market, Kalighat metro station 400 m), ☎ .
- 3 Mysore Guest House, 5A, Mysore Rd (Near Lake Market, Kalighat metro station 200 m), ☎ .
- 4 Park Inn, 10/1 Tal Bagan Ln (Near Park Circus Maidan). 20 US dollars for standard double bedded room.
- 5 Sharani Lodge, 71/K Hindustan Park, Gariahat, ☎ . , ,
- 6 The Best Inn, 1B Sushil Sen Road, Kolkata-700025 (off crossing of Chowringhee Road & Elgin Road, near Rabindra Sadan Metro Station), ☎ . Amenities include air-conditioning, telephone, internet connectivity, TV (Cable), laundry service, housekeeping, room service, continental breakfast. Deluxe Suite (King size Double Bed)/Deluxe Queen (Queen Double Bed)/Deluxe Twin (two single beds) rooms with attached bathrooms. ₹2,000 - ₹3,000.
- 7 Central Bed & Breakfast, 7th Floor, Lansdowne Court, 5B, Sarat Bose Rd (Near Minto Park), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 12 Noon, check-out: 10 AM. 10 minute drive from Park Street and 1 minute from Minto Park. It’s on the 7th floor of a residential apartment. 4 bedrooms with free WiFi, attached bathrooms, common kitchen. All rooms are air conditioned. Owners live in the same building. Great location, safe, and 24/7 security. Recommended for backpackers. ₹2,699.
- 8 Hotel Akash Ganga, 1 Orient Row (Near Park Circus maidan), ☎ . , , Check-out: 12 noon. ₹990-₹2,500.
- 10 Lee International, 53D/1,Tiljala Road,Park Circus, ☎ , e-mail: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: 12 Noon. ₹2595-₹4095.
- Mrs. Dam's Guesthouse, Near Ballygunge (Near Ice Skating Rink), ☎ . Modern, prettily furnished rooms with attached bath, air-con, TV etc. in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Helpful owner lives in the same building, and is a handy source for tips on what to see/where to go in Kolkata. They also have a great cook, so make sure you try a home-cooked Bengali meal when you're there. ₹2000.
- 11 The Red Carpet, P-399, Keyatala Lane, Kolkata-700 029. (The Red Carpet lies in an extremely posh neighborhood of South Kolkata nestling in between two of the major thoroughfares of South Kolkata, Southern Avenue & Rash Behari Avenue.), ☎ . ₹2,500/-.
- Bodhi Tree Boutique Guesthouse, 48/44, Swiss Park, Kolkata. (Rabindra Sarovar Metro Station-Swiss Park.), ☎ , fax: .
- 12 Hotel Hindustan International, A.J.C. Bose Rd (near Minto Park). Good location near Rabindra Sadan metro station. Good food. Five star rates.
- 13 Hotel Taj Bengal, 34B, Belvedere Road, Alipore., ☎ , fax: . It is one of the best in town. 5 star rates.