|Climate chart (explanation)|
Laramie is located at very high altitude (7,200 ft/2,200 m) and due to this has considerably milder summers and more fierce winters than other US cities of comparable latitude in the upper Midwest. Because it lies east of the Continental Divide, placing it in the rain shadow of the Rockies, the climate around Laramie is very dry most of the year so travelers here should take care to drink lots of fluid and not overexert themselves immediately upon arrival to mitigate potential altitude sickness risks.
The primary access to Laramie is along Interstate 80, the main east-west corridor in the state; it's roughly an hour west of the junction with I-25 at Cheyenne. Because of the altitude and northern location, it is important to be aware of road conditions and road closures along all roads but especially I-80 as its closure can strand you. Road conditions are available on the internet at several sources including this one: 
In the summer months the town is also easily accessible on a smaller road (US 287) that comes up from Fort Collins, Colorado. From Denver it makes for a shorter drive than I-25/I-80, but not noticeably faster.
- 1 Laramie Regional Airport (LAR IATA). Su-F 5:30AM-9PM, Sa 6AM-9PM. Daily commercial flights to Denver on United Express. LAR is also a general aviation airport with rentable hangar space, aviation and jet fuel, and two courtesy cars.
- Greyhound, 375 W Lyon St. (Jones Auto Service), ☏ . M-F 9AM-4PM; Sa 9AM-11AM; Su and holidays closed.
- Hertz, 555 General Brees Rd, ☏ . M-W 7AM-5:30PM, 7PM-8PM; Th 7AM-5:30PM, F 7AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon, Su 3:30PM-5PM, 7PM-8PM. Flights will be met after hours with 24 hours advance notice. After hours return is available in Hertz lot via drop-box.
- Enterprise, 2208 E. Grand Ave, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-5PM; Sa 8:30AM-noon; Su closed.
- 1 Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, 975 Snowy Range Rd, ☏ . Daily 9AM-6PM, call for winter hours. This prison, now a state historic site, opened in the late 19th century held some of the region's most hardened criminals. Adults $5.00, 12-17 $2.50, 11 and under free.
- Snowy Range Scenic Byway. A nationally designated scenic byway, Snowy Range Road is a 29-mile (46-km) drive from Laramie to Saratoga via Snowy Range Pass. There is fishing, picnicing, and hiking opportunities along the road, including a half-day hike to the top of the 12,013-ft (3,661-m) Medicine Bow Peak. The pass is closed in winter.
- Wyoming Cowboys and Cowgirls, 1911 E. Willett Drive (ticket office), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Ticket office M–F 8:30AM–5:30PM; Sa 9AM–1PM. The city's and state's biggest sporting attractions are the University of Wyoming's teams, playing eight men's sports and nine women's sports mostly in the Mountain West Conference. All sports venues are on campus—even the golf course. The hot-button sports, as with most large universities, are typically football and men's basketball.
- 1 Altitude Chophouse & Brewery, 320 S. 2nd St, ☏ . Good typical brewpub American food. Can get busy, so plan for a wait if you don't have a reservation.
- 2 Anong's Thai Cuisine, 101 E. Ivinson Ave, ☏ . Reliable, if heavily Americanized, Thai standbys.
- 3 Coal Creek Coffee Co., 110 E. Grand St. Daily 6AM-11PM. Coffee and pastries in a lovely old space downtown. A second location towards the eastern side of town at 2317 Grand Ave. (open daily 7AM-8PM) is closer to most hotels but lacks the charm. (Map coordinates are for the Grand Avenue location.)
- 4 Mizu Sushi, 307 S. 3rd St, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 11AM-8:30PM. How they get fresh fish in Laramie remains a mystery, but the results are surprisingly good. Serves a variety of both Japanese and Vietnamese dishes in addition to sushi.
- 5 Turtle Rock Cafe, 270 N. 9th St, ☏ . M-Th 7AM-9PM, F Sa 7AM-8PM, Su 9AM-6PM. Popular cafe just off the western edge of the UW campus. Good place for lunchtime salads and sandwiches, particularly when the weather's nice enough to dine outside.
University events are major draws relative to Laramie's modest population; expect limited availability and higher prices near the start of the academic year in late August and commencement in early May, as families of students descend on the town. Home football games, held on several Saturdays in the fall, can also fill hotels long in advance.
- 1 1st Inn Gold, 421 Boswell (Jct. 287 & I-80), ☏ , fax: . King, queen & double rooms (smoking & non-smoking). Free continental breakfast, parking, and local calls. Cable TV with HBO. Outdoor pool, indoor hot tub.
- Albany Lodge, 1148 Highway 11, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Rooms, suites, and cabins. Restaurant on site. ATV and snowmobile rentals. $85-315.
- Best Value Inn, I-80/Snowy Range Rd., ☏ .
- Comfort Inn, 3420 Grand Ave, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Fitness center, indoor heated pool and hot tub. Free continental breakfast, local calls, weekday newspaper, and coffee.
- 2 Days Inn, 1368 McCue St, toll-free: , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Guest rooms and suites with microwaves, cable television, and free high–speed wireless Internet access. Indoor pool, activity desk, fitness equipment, and business center. Free continental breakfast. Pet allowed in smoking rooms for additional fee.
- 3 Econo Lodge, 1370 McCue St, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Indoor heated pool and game room. Free continental breakfast and wireless high-speed Internet access.
- Gas Lite Motel, 960 N. 3rd, toll-free: . Indoor pool. Continental breakfast. Pets allowed.
- 4 Hampton Inn, 3715 E. Grand Ave, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 5 Holiday Inn, 204 S 30th St, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Opened in 2007, this hotel caters to the higher-end and business traveller with king, double queen, and suites. All rooms have a 32" (81 cm) flat screen TV with AM/FM clock radio and MP3 docking station, microwave, and fridge. The hotel also has a business center, indoor pool and whirlpool, fitness center, and wireless and hard wired internet.
|Routes through Laramie|
|Rock Springs ← Rawlins ←||W E||→ Buford → Cheyenne|
|Rawlins ← Medicine Bow ←||W E||→ Buford → Cheyenne|
|Rawlins ← Medicine Bow ←||W S||→ Fort Collins → Denver|
|Saratoga (Wyoming) ← Centennial (Wyoming) ←||W E||→ END|
|Walden (Colorado) ← Woods Landing ←||W E||→ END|