The settlement, which is named after the Medicine Bow River, had its first post office in 1869. It became notable at the turn of the century when, in the late 1890s, a dinosaur skeleton was discovered in the area.
The local Virginian Hotel, built in 1911, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The population peaked at the 1980 census, when it reached almost 1,000, before declining to 261 as of the 2018 estimate.
- 1 Medicine Bow Museum, 405 Lincoln Hwy (in the old Medicine Bow railroad depot), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Medicine Bow Library (Carbon County Library System), 314 Sage St, ☏ . Tu 9:30AM-noon, Th 9:30AM-noon and 1PM-6PM. Public computers and free wi-fi.
- United States Post Office, 113 Cedar St, ☏ . M-F 7:45AM-12:30PM and 1:30PM-4PM, Sa 8AM-10AM.
|Routes through Medicine Bow|
|Rock Springs/Grand Teton N.P. ← Rawlins ←||W E||→ Laramie → Cheyenne/Fort Collins|