Lavenham, is a village in the south-west corner of Suffolk.
One of the finest examples of a medieval wool town. Most of the houses were built between 1450 and 1500 and are in a remarkable state of preservation. Walking through Lavenham is like walking through a movie set - the half-timbered houses and pastel coloured cottages lean against one another in street after street. Several of the buildings, including the Guildhall, are open to the public and contain displays of life in a mediaeval English wool town. Lavenham was the 14th wealthiest settlement in England in 1524, with 33 cloth making businesses and was richer than Lincoln and York, when the church was being rebuilt (1486-1515) and the Guildhall of Corpus Christi completed (1529). Lavenham's position as a manufacturing town of national importance is hard to imagine when you see the quiet, rural charm of the village today.
From London, follow M11 exit 8 A120 to Braintree, A131 to Halstead and Sudbury, then B1115 to Lavenham. From North, Take A134 from Bury St Edmunds then A1141 to Lavenham.
The village no longer has a railway station (the station being closed for passengers in 1961). The nearest train station is
- 1 Sudbury Train Station, Station Rd, Sudbury, CO10 6SU (7 miles S of Lavenham). At the end of a branch line (marketed as the Gainsborough Line) from the main Norwich to London Liverpool St line at Marks Tey. The journey between Sudbury and Marks Tey takes 20 minutes, with stops at Bures station, and Chappel & Wakes Colne station. Station managed by and services operated by Greater Anglia.
Chambers Buses 753 run hourly from Colchester train station or Bury St Edmunds Bus Station - Mondays to Saturdays.
The village in on National Cycle Route 13 (London to Fakenham) running through Bury St Edmunds to the N (where it connects to National Cycle Route 51 and to Colchester to the S where it connects with National Cycle Route 1.
The village is small enough to see on foot.
Most of the village can be seen in a 10-15 minute walk, but visiting the Guild Hall needs longer.
- 1 Tourist Information Centre, Lady St, Lavenham, CO10 9RA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mid Mar-end Oct daily 10:00-16:45; Nov-3rd week Dec daily 11:00-15:00; Jan-mid Mar Sa Su 11:00-15:00.
- 2 Lavenham Guildhall, Market Place, Lavenham, CO10 9QZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Adult £6.5; Child £3.25.
- 3 Little Hall Museum, Market Place, Lavenham, C010 9QZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 14th century house (one of oldest in the village) Adults £4; Children & concessions free.
- 4 St Peter & St Paul Church, Church Sr, Lavenham, CO10 9QT.
- 1 Guided Tour of Lavenham, Tourist Information Centre, Lady St, Lavenham CO10 9RA (Book in advance through Tourist Information Centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Weekends Easter-end Oct or by arrangement.
- 1 Co-op (Convenience Store), 80a High St, Lavenham, CO10 9PT, ☏ . Daily 07:00-22:00.
- 1 The Great House (Hotel & Restaurant), Market Place, Lavenham CO10 9QZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Feb-Dec Tu 19:00-21:30, W-Sa 12:00-14:30, 19:00-21:30, Su 12:00-14:30. Outstanding restaurant with 5 rooms.
- 2 The Swan Hotel, High St, Lavenham CO10 9QA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Food daily 12:00-21:00. Hotel, spa and lavish restaurant in a knock-through of three 15th C buildings. B&B double £110.
- 3 Hadley's at Lavenham (Ice Cream Shop), 91 High St, Lavenham, CO10 9PZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-17:00. Craft Ice Creams
- 4 Memsaab (Indian Restaurant), 2 Church St, Lavenham, CO10 9QT, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 12:00-14:30 & 17:30-23:00, Su 12:00-15:00 & 17:30-22:30.
- 5 The Greyhound (Restaurant), 97 High St, Lavenham, CO10 9PZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bar: M-Sa 10:00-23:00, Su 10:00-22:00; Food: daily 10:00-22:00.
- 1 The Angel (Pub, Restaurant & Hotel), Market Place, Lavenham, CO10 9QZ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Bar: M-Sa 08:00-23:00, Su 10:00-23:00; Food: M-Sa 08:00-10:00 & 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-22:00, Su 08:00-10:00 & 12:00-18:00.
- 2 No 10 (Wine Bar, Restaurant & Accommodation), 10 Lady St, Lavenham, CO10 9RA, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Bar: M-Th 11:00-23:00, F 11:00-00:00, Sa 12:00-00:00, Su 12:00-23:00; Restaurant M-Sa: 12:00-14:30 &18:00-21:00, Su 12:00-14:30 & 17:30-21:00.
- 3 The Cock Horse Inn (Pub & Restaurant), 37 Church St, Lavenham, CO10 9SA, ☏ . Pub: M-Th 11:00-23:00, F-Sa 11:00-00:00, Su 11:00-19:30; Food: M-Th 12:00-15:00 & 18:00 - 21:00, F-Sa 12:00-21:00, Su 12:00-16:00.
- The centre of the village has several high end self-catering houses for rental, normally for several day or longer stays.
- Great House Hotel is open Feb-Dec, see Eat. Assistance dogs only.
- 1 Brett Farm (Luxury B&B), The Common, Lavenham CO10 9PG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. Bicycle hire Single: from £60/night; Double/twin: from £80/night.
- 2 Bildeston Crown, 104 High St, Bildeston IP7 7EB, ☏ . 400 year-old restaurant with 12 rooms, charm and character, with great British cuisine. B&B double £100.
- 1 Mobile Post Office Service, Lavenham Village Hall, Church St, Lavenham, CO10 9QT. M 14:00-16:00. Tu 12:00-16:00. W-F 14:00-16:00.