Lewiston-Auburn is a city in Androscoggin County, in the central Maine region of Maine. The Androscoggin River divides the city into two separate municipalities: the east bank is Lewiston, with a population of about 39,000 (2016), and the west bank is Auburn, with about 23,000 people (2016). They are known locally as the "Twin Cities" or "L–A".
- Maine Turnpike (Interstate 95), Exit 80.
- Portland International Jetport (Portland), ☏ .
A number of shuttle companies serve Lewiston.
- Excalibur D&P Associates.
- Maine Limousine Service, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Purple Bus (Citylink), ☏ . M-Sa. 9 routes. Citylink connects Lewiston, Auburn and Lisbon. The downtown shuttle is free. It runs through the downtowns of Lewiston and Auburn. $1.50.
- 1 Androscoggin Historical Society & Museum.
- 2 Bates College, 23 Campus Av, ☏ . Museum of Arts and Olin Arts center may provide some diversions.
- Franco-American Heritage Center, 46 Cedar St, ☏ (admin), (box office), fax: . Performing arts and museum in old St. Mary's church.
- 3 Museum L-A.
- 1 Great Falls Balloon Festival, Simard-Payne Memorial Park and Festival Park. Annual hot air balloon festival; one of the largest tourist draws to the area. Normally the 3rd weekend in August.
- Switzerland Road. It's one of the more hidden pleasures of living in Lewiston. Switzerland Road is between the local fire station and a local furniture store and across from Harley Davidson's. Walking down this road is a quiet delight. Switzerland is a dead end road, approximately one mile in length. It parallels the Androscoggin River, offering waterfront access( but no swimming) after the initial 100 yards of residences.
About halfway down the road is St Peter's Cemetery, which is a local landmark. A tourist can see the cultural heritage of Lewiston in the Quebecois names and Catholic practices in this quiet, beautifully maintained, place of rest. It is a wonderful place to be at peace and look at the inspiring statues, mottos, and inscriptions of those who came before. (Please respect the atmosphere and let it enrich you!)
Switzerland Road ends in a power plant that uses the water power from the river to provide electricity to Lewiston locals, and while the power plant is not public, it is easily accessible if you call in advance for a tour. The tour is very worthwhile, because they show how water is transformed into electricity.
- 2 Androscoggin Bank Colisée. A multi-purpose sports Colosseum.
- 1 Auburn Mall.
- Fish Bones, 70 Lincoln St, ☏ . Seafood.
- Fuel, 49 Lisbon St, ☏ . 5PM-9PM. Fuel is a modern French bistro in downtown Lewiston.
- Governor's Restaurant & Bakery, 1185 Lisbon St, ☏ . Family place. Oh my, try the pie.
- [dead link] Mother India, 114 Lisbon St, ☏ .
- Patrick's Deli, 89 Lincoln St, ☏ . Delicious soups, sandwiches, and burritos. Award-winning chowder. Closed Sundays and at 6PM on Saturdays.
- Thai Jarearn Express, 65 College St, ☏ . Authentic Thai food.
- Golden City Chinese food, 20 east Ave, ☏ . Chinese food to eat in or take out. Very authentic
- Sam's Italian Foods, 268 Main St, ☏ .
- Davini's Eatery, 150 Mill St, ☏ . In the old Bates Mill, great lasagna and bread, did that part of the mill over very nicely. Brick oven. North Italian cuisine.
- The Great American Grill, 14 Great Falls Plaza (at the Hilton), ☏ .
- Great Falls Grill, 2 Great Falls Plaza (next to the Post Office), ☏ . Tu-Sa. Seafood and steak.
- Mac's Grill, 1052 Minot Ave, ☏ . Angus beef and more.
- 1 The Munroe Inn, 123 Pleasant St, ☏ . Fine dining in a bed and breakfast setting.
- Rolandeau's Restaurant, 775 Washington St, ☏ . M-Sa. Fine dining.
- Margaritas Mexican Restaurant & Watering Hole, 180 Center St, ☏ . 4PM - Various. Great Mexican food; dinner until 10PM on weeknights, 11PM on weekends, lounge open until 1AM. Now opening for lunch at 11:30AM Friday through Sunday.
- Gritty McDuff's, 68 Main St., Auburn, ☏ . Daily 11AM-midnight. A Maine brew pub overlooking the Androscoggin River. Great food, micro brews, atmosphere and live entertainment.
- Armand's Orchard Side Inn, 16 Pinewoods Rd., Lewiston, ☏ .
- 1 Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch, 14 Great Falls Plaza, ☏ , fax: .
- [dead link] Maine Motel & Cabins, 1101 Maine St., Lewiston, ☏ . They have motel room, but the cabins are so cozy, bring a fan for the summer. Great place if you're taking in the Moxie Festival. Nice young couple run it.
- Motel 6, 516 Pleasant St., Lewiston, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Ramada Conference Center Lewiston/Auburn, 490 Pleasant St., Lewiston, ☏ .
- Super 8 Motel Lewiston/Auburn, 1440 Lisbon St., Lewiston, ☏ .
- Ware Street Inn, 52 Ware St., Lewiston, toll-free: . Within walking distance to Bates campus.
|Routes through Lewiston–Auburn|
|Augusta ← Gardiner ←||N S||→ Gray → Portland|
|Rochester/Portland ← New Gloucester ←||W/S E/N||→ Monmouth → Augusta|
|END ←||W E||→ Jct E → Monmouth → Gardiner|
|END ←||W E||→ Lisbon → Brunswick|