Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lakes and Mountains is a Maine region that encompasses the counties of Androscoggin, Franklin and Oxford, plus the northern portion of Cumberland County.
|Androscoggin County |
|Cumberland County (northern portion only; excludes Greater Portland)|
|Franklin County |
including Rangeley Lakes
|Oxford County |
including the Pennacook Valley (River Valley region)
- 1 Farmington — a quaint town with many buildings on the National Register of Historic Places
- 2 Frye Island — a seasonal resort town on an island in Sebago Lake
- 3 Kingfield — the principal gateway to Sugarloaf, a major ski resort
- 4 Lewiston—5 Auburn — twin cities with a strong French-Canadian heritage
- 6 New Gloucester — home to the last active Shaker village in the U.S.
- 7 Poland and Poland Spring — a historic resort area that is home to Range Ponds State Park
- 8 Rangeley — the center of the Rangeley Lakes Region resort area
- 9 Standish — a recreational area and suburb of Portland
- 10 Weld — gateway to Mount Blue State Park
- 1 is mostly in New Hampshire, but extends across the border into this region.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 crosses the north edge of this area about 3:30PM local time. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio and straddling the Canada–New England border, then across Maine to New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
As of July 2016, cell phone reception can be spotty in the northern part of this region, even in populated areas. Check the coverage maps for your carrier and prepare to find alternative methods of communication. AT&T Wireless is particularly unreliable, with locals preferring Verizon or Consumer Cellular.