Lier is a city of about 30,000 inhabitants in the province of Antwerp, Belgium. Lier is often overlooked by many international tourists, but can make an interesting day out from Antwerp or Mechelen. The town is located southeast of the regional capital city of Antwerp.
- 1 Visit Lier, Grote Markt 58, ☏ . November-March: M-F. April-October: daily. The one and only tourist office of the town.
Lier is connected by rail to a number of major Belgian cities, including Antwerp, Mechelen, Turnhout, Herentals, Aarschot, Leuven and Brussels. The connection to Antwerp is especially good, from which any other destination within Belgium can easily be reached. To plan your trip, you can consult the website of NMBS, the national railway company, for national and international travels. The train station is located fairly close to the city center, only some 10 minutes in walking distance.
- 1 Lier station, Leopoldplein. The railway station of Lier is located northwest of the town centre.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, operates bus lines to Lier from Mechelen, Herentals and other neighboring towns. For more information regarding different timetables (only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
Lier can be conveniently reached by car. It's located halfway between the E19 (Antwerp to Brussels) and E313 (Antwerp to Liège). Both of them are not really close to Lier, but there is a well developed network of national roads connecting the town with the highways and other close-by cities, like the N10 to Antwerp, N14 to Mechelen and N13 to the E313. Like many towns in Belgium it is a problem, however, to get rid of your car in the city center.
The public transport company De Lijn has a number of bus lines through Lier.
Best method to discover Lier. Most places of interest are in the center of the city and lay only a couple of minutes from each other.
- 1 Zimmertoren (Zimmerplein). Small tower with astronomical display. Entrance €3.
- 2 Beguinage (Begijnhof), Begijnhofstraat. UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 3 St. Gummarus Church, Heilige-Geeststraat 5. 14th Gothic church
- 4 Town Hall, Grote Markt 58. Built in the 18th century in Rococo style. The belfry tower dates back to 1369, and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- 5 Prisoners Gate (Gevangenenpoort), Zimmerplein. The only remaining city gate of Lier, as there used to be 5 city gates in the first city ramparts. The gate was built in 1375. From the 16th century until 1930 it functioned as a prison, which explains the current name for the gate.
- 6 Spuihuis, Sionsvest. Building erected on a sluice north of the city centre. The building was built in the 16th century.
- 7 Belgian military cemetery, Mechelsesteenweg. The final resting place of 531 soldiers of the two World Wars. Most of them (490) fell during the First World War. There are also 32 British and 9 Canadian soldiers buried here. They got hospitalized in the military hospital of Lier but passed away of their wounds after the liberation of the city on September 4, 1944.
The Lier tourist office offers a picknick package full of regional specialities. You can pick it up there and enjoy it wherever you want. Orders by e-mail at least 2 days in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A regional dish of Lier is Liers vlaaike. It is a spicy cake made of candy syrup and a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander and cloves. It has been around for more than 300 years and is one of the oldest pastries in the area. Since 2013 it is included on the EU list of authentic regional products.
- Quite a few restaurants around Zimmerplein, Grote Markt and the street in between (Eikelstraat). Mostly French and Italian cuisine.
- 1 Baja Sardinia, Eikelstraat 6 (Eikelstraat), ☏ . Fairly good Italian food. Normal prices. Fast service.
- 2 Toscana (Zimmerplein). Basic Italian cuisine. Affordable prices. Not very busy. Great gelato (ice cream).
- 3 Bar Muza, Gasthuisvest 52, ☏ . Cozy restaurant in a small park right in the city center. Perfect outdoor seating in summer. This is also a nice place for an afternoon drink.
Most of the nightlife is centered around Zimmerplein in local pubs.
- 1 Café Latino, Zimmerplein 9, ☏ . M-Th: 17:30-00:00. F-Su: 11:30-00:00. Latino inspired bar with cocktails and small dishes.
- 2 De Mort, Grote Markt 28. Daily from 19:00. Somehow hidden this atmospheric brown bar is an interesting place to have a beer. Signposted Mister 100 Billiard Lounge.
- 1 Bed Muzet, Volmolenstraat 65, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The only hostel in Lier. Offers rooms for 1 up to 6 people. Housed in a part of a former convent building.
- 2 Hof van Aragon, Aragonstraat 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers rooms with breakfast buffet or half board. Conveniently located in the city centre. From €87.
- 3 Best Western Zimmerhotel, Aarschotsesteenweg 4, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 11:00. Medium size hotel, for business customers and tourists. Nice and big rooms. Breakfast only. No bar. Prices include use of the fitness center next door.
- Antwerp — second largest city of Belgium with a thriving diamond, shopping and fashion scene.
- Mechelen — compact historical city between the major cities of Antwerp and Brussels.