Turnhout is a town in the province of Antwerp, counting 43,000 inhabitants. It is the largest town in the eastern part of the province. The town is located 40 km east of Antwerp, 30 km from Dutch cities Breda, Tilburg and 40 km from Eindhoven, the largest city in the southern part of the Netherlands.
Turnhout is known for its playing card industry. The head office of the world's largest playing card producer is housed here.
- 1 Tourist Office, Grote Markt 44, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Fr 9:00-16:30, Sa 9:30-14:00, Su closed.
The 1 Turnhout Railway Station is located in the centre of the city, close to all sights.
- Direct connections from Antwerp (55 minutes) and Lier (37 minutes).
- There is no direct rail connection from the Netherlands.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Turnhout from Antwerp, Aarschot, Herentals and other neighbouring towns. For more information regarding different timetables (only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
Bus #450 connects Turnhout with the Dutch city of Tilburg.
The easiest way to reach Turnhout from places like Antwerp or Eindhoven is by the motorway E34. Get off at exit 24 called Turnhout-Centrum. From here it is only a few minutes until you reach the town center.
The historical part of Turnhout which is interesting to visitors is very compact and best explored on foot.
- 1 Castle of the Dukes of Brabant. This castle dates back to the 12th century. Currently the castle houses a court.
- 2 Beguinage.
- 3 Church of St. Peter (Sint-Pieterskerk), Grote Markt. The main church of Turnhout.
- 4 Taxandria Museum, Begijnenstraat 28, ☎ . This museum displays the history of the town of Turnhout and the Turnhout region.
- 5 National Museum of the Playing Card, Druivenstraat 18, ☎ . M closed. This museum is of particular interest in Turnhout. It is located in an old factory building in the center of the town and also shows a beautifully restored steam engine.
- 6 Water tower (Watertoren), Warandestraat.
- 1 Frituur Denise, Koningin Elisabethlei 90, ☎ . Typical Belgian fries and other fastfood.
- 1 Best Western Turnhout City Hotel, Stationstraat 5, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Located in a historical railway building in the heart of Turnhout. It should be no surprise that is right next to the railway station.
- 2 Bon-Bon jour / nuit, Victoriestraat 10, ☎ . Centrally located small bed and breakfast.
- 3 Ter Driezen, Herentalsstraat 18, ☎ .
- Baarle — a border village in partially in Belgium and the Netherlands, with the border making very interesting ways through homes and shops.