Maiduguri, also known locally as Yerwa, is a city of 800,000 people (2021 estimate) in Northeastern Nigeria. It is the capital of the Borno State. Since 2009, it has been the heart of the Boko Haram insurgency.
Maiduguri is the principal trading hub for north-eastern Nigeria. Its economy is largely based on services and trade with a small share of manufacturing.
Maiduguri is home to three markets which include a modern "Monday market".
There have been no passenger services to Maiduguri, the government wants to reestablish the rail link and have made several promises of renewed traffic "soon". Don't hold your breath, though. The old 2 Maiduguri railway station is north of city centre.
Travelling by car is possible, national roads A3, which continues towards N'Djamena, and A4 passes by here.
- 1 Borno State Museum.
- 1 Today's Store, Maiduguri Rd, ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM. In-store shopping. In-store pick up. Delivery.
- 2 Maiva's Shop, University of Maiduguri Teaching hospital quarters, ☏ . Daily. In-store shopping.
- 3 Caps Market, Damboa Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-6PM. In-store shopping.
- 4 AMH & SONS, Monday Market,B2, ☏ . Daily 10AM-5:30PM. In-store shopping.
- 5 Najma Superstore, Magaram Rd. Daily. In-store shopping.
- 1 Downtown Restaurant, Lagos st, ☏ . Daily 10AM-10PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 2 City Star Restaurant, Yerima Rd, ☏ . Daily 10AM-10PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 3 Al-heri Restaurant, Opposite University of Maiduguri gate two, ☏ . Daily 8AM-4:30PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 4 Favour Restaurant, Kashim Ibrahim Rd. Daily 9AM-7PM. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 5 Unimaid Students Center., Bama-Maiduguri Rd, ☏ . Daily. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 1 City Star Bar, Yerima Rd, ☏ . Daily 10AM-10PM. Dine-in. Takeaway.
- 2 Sahel Hotel & bar, Bama-Maiduguri Rd. 24 hours. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 3 NAf Mess, Circular Rd. 24 hours. Dine-in. Takeaway. Delivery.
- 1 Grand Pinnacle Luxury Hotel, Maiduguri International Airport, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Pool, free breakfast, free parking, air conditioning. ₦14,000.
- 2 Nanne and Boi Suites, Onitsha Rd, ☏ . Pool, free breakfast, free parking, airport shuttle.
- 3 Dujima international Hotel, Kashim Ibrahim Rd, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Free breakfast, free parking, air conditioning, restaurant. ₦13,500.
- 4 Barwee Luxury Suites, Maiduguri-Potiskum Rd, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Pool, free breakfast, free parking, Air conditioning. ₦27,600.
- 5 Safari Hotel, 21 Should Laminu way, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Free parking, free wifi, room service.
Maiduguri has been plagued by sectarian violence and religious violence initiated by the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram. Government curfews are quite common.
For most locations in the city, there are coverage of the 2G/3G/4G mobile networks, only that service may be disrupted the farther away you go from the city center, and you might occasionally experience network outage for all or some of the mobile phone service providers in those remote areas of the city. Different networks tend to be more stable and reliable in different locations of the city at different times.
If you are planning a visit to Maiduguri, you should probably consider having multiple SIM cards, preferably for all the mobile service providers, since you can't tell which will be more stable and reliable at a time in your location during your visit. And if you will risk not having any of them, you might be better off not risking the MTN network, because, from indications, it seem to perform well than the others, though its rates may be high and its offers and services might be stringent, but you are less likely to be concerned of erratic voice and data connection compared to others.
Airtel is another service provider which is fairly satisfactory for all you might need to connect to the world, including rates and network stability. Of course, Glo (or Globacom) boasts of fast network speed for internet browsing activities, only that you might not be able to enjoy the privilege in in some locations. And 9Mobile usually also performs well in internet browsing speed too but not without locational limitations, plus that data rate is fairly higher.