Malta is a town in Montana. It is part of what is called the HiLine - a term used for the northern part of the state. The population was 1,900 in 2019.
Malta is at the intersection of Highways 2 and 191.
- 1 Malta Station, 51 S 1st St E. 12:55PM-3:25PM. Served by Amtrak's Empire Builder once daily in each direction. It has a waiting room, but no staff, ticketing machines, or luggage service available.
- 2 Travel Haven, 121 S 2nd St E (at 1st Ave), ☏ . M-F 10AM-6PM, Sa Su flosed. Travel agency where Amtrak tickets can be purchased.
Malta is small enough to walk or bike. Generally people travel by car.
- 1 Great Plains Dinosaur Museum, 405 North 1st Ave East (directly on Highway 2 East), ☏ , email@example.com. May to October; M-Sa 10AM-5PM; Su 12:30-5PM. Part of the Montana Dinosaur Trail. Includes one of the best preserved dinosaurs ever discovered. Adult $5, 6-12 $3.
- 2 Phillips County Museum, North 1st Ave East (directly on Highway 2 East), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10AM-5PM; Su 12:30-5PM. Part of the Montana Dinosaur Trail. Adult $5, 6-12 $3.
- 1 Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge, 194 Bowdoin Auto Tour Rd (from U.S. Highway 2, watch for a brown and white Refuge directional sign just east of Malta on U.S. Highway 2. Turn right after this sign and follow the paved road (old U.S. Highway 2) 6 miles to the Refuge entrance), ☏ , email@example.com. Open sunrise to sunset. Migratory bird refuge. Hiking, bicycling, bird-watching, snow-shoeing, ice skating, cross-country skiing, and hunting (but not fishing) are all possible. Free.
There is an Albertsons grocery store on Hwy 191.
- 1 Hitchin' Post, 745 N 1st St E (east of 7th Ave), ☏ . 7AM-2PM. Diner.
- 2 Stretch's Pizza, 140 S 1st St E (at 2nd Ave), ☏ . 11AM-9PM. Pizza, burgers, salad bar. Has pool table and small video arcade inside.
- 1 Stockman Bar and Grill, 64 S 1st St E (at 1st Ave), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. bar 10AM-2AM, kitchen 5AM-10PM. Has a few pool tables inside.
- 2 Crossroad Coffee and Bistro, 65 S 3rd St E (at 1st Ave), ☏ . M-F 7AM-5:30PM, Su closed. Coffee, soup and sandwiches in an unpretentious setting.
- 3 Blue Ridge Brewing, 320 S 1st St E (between 3rd Ave and 5th Ave), ☏ . Tu-F 4PM-8PM, Sa M closed. Microbrewery.
- 1 Maltana Motel, 138 S 1st Ave W (at 2nd St), ☏ .
- 2 Great Northern Hotel, 2 S 1st St E (at Central Ave), ☏ . Includes restaurant.
- 3 Trafton Park (from the only traffic signal in town, at the intersection of Central Ave and US Highway 2, go north), ☏ . This city-owned park has a campground. There are bathrooms and potable water, but no hookups. No reservations. $5.
- Philips County Library, 10 S 4th St E (at Central Ave), ☏ . M-Th 10AM-noon, 1PM-6PM; F 10AM-noon, 1-5PM; Sa Su closed.
|Routes through Malta|
|Spokane ← Havre ←||W E||→ Glasgow → Minot|
|Shelby ← Havre ←||W E||→ Glasgow → Williston|
|Swift Current ← Val Marie ← becomes ← ←||N S||→ Lewistown → Big Timber|