Marawi is a city that is situated on the shore of Lake Lanao. 99.6% of the city's population are Muslim.
Since the siege led by Muslim insurgents backed by the Islamic State, the city center remains in ruins, and rebuilding efforts are continuing.
There are no buses, but there is frequent UV Express (minivans) connecting to nearby towns and Iligan. Buses run up to Iligan, where transfers to minivans are available.
- Moncado Colony. Named in honor of Hilario Camino Moncado, a Filipino, leader, an organizer, author of books and lecturer of humanities. He graduated with honor at the age of nine at India College of Mystery and Psychics. Moncado monuments and wild animals monuments can be found here before the late Dr. Mahid Miraato Mutilan formerly a mayor of the city.
- 1 Lake Lanao. See the commanding majestic view of the Lake Lanao. The largest lake in Mindanao and one of the deepest in the Philippines. It is one of the 15 ancient lakes of the world.
- 2 [formerly dead link] Aga Khan Museum of Islamic Arts (Inside the Mindanao State University). A museum featuring the arts and culture of the Moro and Lumad people of the Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan region. It was opened in 1962 as the one-room University Museum, and the expanded museum opened in 1969. It touts itself as having the biggest Philippine Muslim collection in the country. Prince Karim Aga Khan IV, the namesake of the museum, sponsored the construction of the museum building. Named in honor of King Aga Khan who contributed to the realization of the museum. Historical development is banked on the large space where cultural materials where conserved. It has a huge collection of indigenous art and recorded ethnic music tapes. It also highlights the native folk dances from different regions of Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan. The native tools and weapons used by the Muslims and different artistic designs of houses are the main attractions of museum. free.
- 3 King Faisal Mosque (King Faisal Masjid). The biggest mosque in the city. It is noted for following a color scheme of green, the traditional color in Islam and is associated by the Quran to the state of living of those in Paradise and its architectural details such as the metalwork pattern of its minaret, the painted petals on its dome and the name of "Allah" on top of its spires.
- 4 Capitol Mosque. One of the city's noted mosques. The beige place of worship is located within the Lanao del SurProvincial Capitol Complex.
- 5 Islamic Center of the Philippines Grand Mosque (Islamic Center of the Philippines Grand Masjid).
- Torogans and Sambitory Old Building: The feeling of the unique natural setting of the Maranao in Marawi City is manifested by the presence of many large "Torogans", antique, royal, high roofed, houses of Maranao with carving designs.
- Beautiful rolling hills and mountains: They are found in Marawi City. Signal hill, Arumpac hill and Mt. Mupo are considered beautiful but mysterious places. Angoyao hills served as a natural watch over tower over the waters of the Lake Lanao. Mt. Mupo is known for its perfect cone shape as well as its virgin forests.
- Bagang Beach is 2 meters away from the commercial site of the city. It is filled with rocks and boulders. Trees in the lakeside serves as benches and shades. Ideal for picnics and a nice place for boating and swimming because of the crystal clear water.
- 1 Sacred Mountain National Park. Do hiking and birdwatching at the national park. The 94-hectare (230-acre) national park and protected area was established on August 5, 1965 by Republic Act no. 4190. The park is dominated by Mount Mupo, a 900-foot (270 m) tall extinct volcanic cone. See the small pond featured at the volcano's summit.
- 2 MSU Golf Course (Inside the Mindanao State University). Do golf or relax at the MSU Golf Course, a 9-hole course laid out on the gentle greenery of Mindanao State University.
- 1 JECOs Cafe, ☏ . 10AM-8PM. One of the city's most known dining outlets located at the MCU Commercial Center. Serves various snacks and desserts.
Alcohol is banned in the city.
- 1 Marawi Resort Hotel (Ayala Resort), MSU Main Compound, Marawi 9700, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The Marawi Resort Hotel is a cottage complex type of hotel located within the Main Compound of the Mindanao State University.
- 1 Amai Pakpak Medical Center, 1119 Amai Pakpak Avenue, Barangay Datu Saber, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. the primary hospital in Marawi. It is managed by the government's Department of Health.
Since the majority of the population are Muslim, one must take care to respect the Islamic traditions of the residents. Aside from alcohol, gambling is banned in the city. Doing karaoke in public is frowned upon and can be done in private. Also avoid consuming pork in public. Muslim women must also cover their head although it is not required for non-Muslims.
Marawi also has an ordinance where open shows of homosexuality are punishable with jail time.