Mataró is a city of 127,000 people (2018) in Catalonia. Mataró is the birthplace of noucentista architect Josep Puig i Cadafalch, who designed the ajuntament (town hall) and several other notable buildings in the town. Nearby the town are the archaeological remains of the Roman villa of Can Llauder.
Take a train from Barcelona airport; travelling time is 1 hour. One-way tickets are €2.25, and a T-10 Zone 3 ticket is €17.40 for 10 trips in either direction. All trains leaving the airport pass through Mataró; they depart half-hourly between 06:00 and 23:00.
Taxis from the train station to hotels in the centre of Mataró are approximately €3.
It's small enough to walk just about anywhere in Mataro. If you're feeling particularly lazy though - the Mataro Bus network has 10 different lines and a very clearly laid out map at every bus stop (EUR 2.00 per journey or you can use a T-10 single zone card).
Some Roman ruins.
Various architectural works by Puig i Cadafalch:
- Casa Coll i Regàs
- Casa Parera
- Casa Sisternes
- El Rengle
- La Beneficiència
- Hire a boat at the marina.
- Run or swim at the beach.
- Rock climb on the artificial wall in one of Mataró's parks.
The buzzing market at Placa de Cuba (every Saturday morning) is good to pick up fresh fruit and veg - as well as to soak up the atmosphere.
- Pizzeria Lluis, Baixada Escaletes 10, 93 796 29 68. Great food, friendly staff and quite cheap—pasta dishes for €5-6. They only have menus in Catalan, though, so you may need to ask the staff for advice.
- [dead link] Nou Mundial, Camí Ral, 548, ☏ . This bar and restaurant serves a variety of good food, including pizza (€8-9), paella (€10-15), seafood and tapas. They cope surprisingly well with large groups of foreigners with no reservations.
- La botigueta del Malambo Camí Ral 540. 93 798 80 59. Food to take away and products from Argentina. Weekend menu €11.95.
- Cavall D'Or, Camí Ral, 624, 93 757 87 10. Cheap and tasty Chinese food, such as Sizzling Chicken Plate for €6.45.
- Xanascat the National Network of Youth Hostels for all of Catalonia. Rates from €15 to €24
- NH Ciutat de Mataró, Camí Ral, 648, ☏ , email@example.com. Room rates from €57 to €125.
- Hotel Castell de Mata, State highway II, Km. 649, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Room rates €72.
- [dead link] Alberg Can Soleret, Rda. Països Catalans, ☏ , , email@example.com. This youth hostel is some distance from the city centre. Beds from €16.