North America > United States of America > New England > Massachusetts > Northeast Massachusetts > Merrimack Valley (Massachusetts) > North Reading
The area was first settled by European immigrants in 1651 when the town of Reading received a special land grant north of the Ipswich River. It was incorporated as the separate town of North Reading in 1853.
Nearby Middleton was first settled by European immigrants in 1659 and was incorporated in 1728. The town grew as a farming community, mostly due to its location on the Ipswich River, with homesteads of hundreds of acres. However, during the 18th century, Middleton also contained a vital ironworks industry. In the late 18th and to the mid-19th centuries Middleton was a vacation town to those who lived in areas such as Lawrence and Lowell.
By car, North Reading is easily accessed from Interstate 93 by Exit #39 at Concord Street or Exit #40 at Route 62 or from Interstate 95/Route 128 by Exit #40.
The MBTA Haverhill Line stops at Reading or Andover stations, to the south or north of town respectively.
The North Reading Historical Society maintains a number of buildings in town that are publicly accessible at various times.
- [dead link] Ipswich River Park. The town's central facility for recreation and youth athletics. Features a playground, tennis courts, skate park, running path, basketball court, picnic areas, horseshoe pits, etc.
- Harold Parker State Forest. A 3,000 acres (1,200 hectares) protected forest with hiking trails, swimming areas, etc.
- Ryer's Store, 162 Park St, ☏ . Small store at the town center carries deli, ice cream, sundries, beer, etc. Lunch counter.
- Alantra Spa, 21 Main St, Suite 1A, ☏ . New Age, state of the art wellness center/spa
- China Cuisine, 235 Main Street, ☏ . Quality Chinese and Japanese cuisine.
- Horseshoe Grille, 226 Main Street, ☏ . Dining room and bar/lounge offer a variety of entrées and feature on-site smoked barbecue. Outdoor patio open in the summer.
- Kitty's Restaurant, 123 Main Street, ☏ . Value priced Italian food, lounge, entertainment.
- Mario's Ristorante, 20G Main Street, ☏ . Authentic Italian entrées and pizza.
- Lorraine Park Campground. Located within the Harold Parker State Forest, this seasonal campground offers sites for tenst and recreational vehicles.
- Reading-North Reading Chamber of Commerce. Information about area businesses.
|Routes through North Reading|
|Lawrence ← Andover ←||N S||→ Reading → Boston|
|Concord ← Wilmington ←||W E||→ Middleton → Danvers|