Lawrence is a city in Massachusetts. It has a population of about 72,000.
Lawrence Municipal Airport is in neighboring North Andover. Other airports in the region include Logan International Airport in Boston and Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Interstate 495 runs through the city.
- The Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority provides bus service for the area.
- Duck Bridge. The Duck Bridge is an historic through truss bridge carrying South Union Street over the Merrimack River in the middle of downtown Lawrence. The bridge, built by Boston Bridge Works in 1888, is one of the oldest surviving bridges on the Merrimack, despite being rehabilitated several times. The current structure has been closed to all traffic indefinitely due to safety concerns. However, the bridge could be re-opened after another rehab project, which has been delayed for about two years due to funding concerns.
- Lawrence Merrimack Canal. The Lawrence Merrimack Canal was built for use by the old Lawrence mills and factories. While it is no longer used today and portions of it have become contaminated with waste, the canal itself still has historic value. In additon, the canal is home to several beautiful historic bridges that once carried access roads to the factories. The canal is immune to filling in due to its heritage.
- Lawrence Heritage State Park, One Jackson Street (Off Canal Street), ☎ . 9AM-4PM. Fishing, boating, bike and walking trails, public programs such as sailing lessons and concerts.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express Andover North-Lawrence, 224 Winthrop Avenue (just off I-495), ☎ . A 126-room hotel that provides a complimentary breakfast and an on-site fitness center.
- Lowell is just west of Lawrence, it is a good stop because of its many museums and historical attractions.
- Boston to the South, and New Hampshire to the north are also good places to visit.
|Routes through Lawrence|
|Salisbury ← Methuen ←||N S||→ North Andover → Lowell|
|Manchester ← Methuen ←||N S||→ Andover → Boston|
|END ←||W E||→ North Andover → Danvers|
|END ← Haverhill ←||N S||→ Andover → Wilmington|