By motorway, either Junction 24 or 25 of the M5, and follow signposts for Minehead/Exmoor.
By train or bus
Take the train to Taunton station, and the First 28 bus to Butlins (Minehead).
You can generally walk from one side of Minehead to the other in around 30 minutes, but like many small towns, has a selection of local buses that run throughout the day, within the town and to the nearest large towns with motorway/train links, Taunton and Bridgwater.
It is important to plan ahead, as public transport is not as strong as it is elsewhere, but Minehead is generally well-served by local taxis, however does not have a train station - other than the steam railway which runs as far as nearby town Bishops Lydeard. Scenic and tour buses sometimes run to nearby Lynton and Lynmouth.
- 1 Minehead Station. Terminus of the West Somerset Railway.
- 2 Cleeve Abbey, Abbey Road, Washford, Watchet, TA23 0PS (6 miles south east of Minehead), ☎ . adults £4.40, children £2.60, concessions £4.00.
- 3 Dunster Castle, Dunster, near Minehead, TA24 6SL (3 miles south east of Minehead), ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Dunster Working Watermill, Mill Lane, Dunster, near Minehead, TA24 6SW (3 miles south east of Minehead), ☎ , ✉ email@example.com.
There is a large sandy beach opposite Butlins at one end of the seafront, and this becomes more pebbles than sand towards the harbour. The beach becomes rather busy in warm weather and the summer season - but still nethertheless a good beach holiday. There are video game arcades that are more focused on gambling and winning toys than traditional "high score" based games from the 1980s. Walking around its extensive gardens is also good exercise for people who just want to walk. Minehead is in the heart of Exmoor and all it has to offer, with the surrounding hills and moors being a favourite for walking and cycling. Some activities include;
- 1 Channel Adventure, The Adventure Centre, Warren Rd, TA24 5BG, UK. A business offering kayak rental and other watersports activities on the seafront.
- 2 Minehead EYE, 1 Mart Rd, TA24 5BJ, ☎ . W-Su: 10AM-6PM, M-Tu: Closed. A community activity centre and skatepark.
Golf Club and crazy/mini golf courses
Minehead is the starting point of the 630-mile (1,010 km) walk along the South West Coast Path. A statue on Quay Street halfway between the town centre and the harbour is the point where walkers in hiking gear gather to take a picture before setting off for their adventure.
The railway terminus has plenty of railway memorabilia for sale. For children, there is plenty of Thomas the Tank Engine merchandise and other children's railway playsets.
As a traditional seaside town, there are plenty of fish and chips type places to eat from.
- 1 Alcombe Fish Bar, Brook St, TA24 6BP, ☎ . Su-M: Closed, Tu-Sa: 11:30AM-1:45PM, 5PM-9PM.
- 2 Bampton Street Fish Bar, 7B Bampton St, Minehead TA24 5TR, ☎ . M: 5PM-8PM, Tu-Sa: 11:45AM-1:45PM, Su: Closed.
- 3 Dean's Fish, 35 The Avenue, TA24 5AY, ☎ .
- Duke of Wellington, Wellington Square, TA24 5NH, ☎ . Wetherspoon's pub.
- 1 Duke of Wellington, Wellington Square, TA24 5NH, ☎ . From £39 per night.
- 2 Butlins Minehead, Warren Rd, TA24 5SH, ☎ . holiday park
- 3 Premier Inn, Seaward Way, TA24 6DF, ☎ . chain hotel
If you are looking for B&B accommodation then head for Tregonwell Road where they are lined up on both sides.
|Routes through Minehead|
|Ilfracombe ← Lynton ←||W E||→ Bridgwater → Glastonbury|