It is a temple town and is on the banks of the river Kapila (Kabini), and lies at a distance of 23 km from the city of Mysore. Nanjangud is famous for Srikanteshwara Temple. Nanjangud is also called as "Dakshina Kashi" (southern Kashi).
You can reach Nanjangud by road from Mysore. Catch a state transport bus from Mysore or hire a taxi. Nearest Airport is Mysore which is ironically only 16 km from Nanjangudu. You can reach Mysore by various trains or by a state transport bus. Both are very convenient and comfortable.
- 1 Nanjundeshwara Temple (Srikanteshwara Temple). One of the biggest Hindu (Shiva) temples in India. Shiva took poison to save the universe and the poison got stuck in his throat turning it blue. "Nanju" means poison, unda means the one who drank and Ishwara forms the word .
- Mahadeshwara Temple on Hallehulli Village Road two km distance from the town.
- Alekala Sethuway, One km on Mysore road. This is the oldest railway bridge of India. The pillars are built of limestone in neo-Gothic style. There are three new bridges on both sides of the old bridge. The whole area is very green and scenic with tiny Sujathapuram railway station in the background.
- Picnic spot at devasthana sethuway, opposite the Shiva statue. The riverside Sathyanarayana temple and bathing steps are located on the opposite side of the main Nanjundeshwara temple complex. There is a new bridge and very green surroundings here, very suitable for a picnic. Horse riding facilities are also available.
- Picnic at Chinnada Gudi Hundi. You can take a train to this little railway station surrounded by lush greenery and cute little farmer huts. There is a photogenic temple on the north side of the railway cross and it is called 'Saneshwara Devasthana'. The school compound is also very beautiful and accessible to strangers. Remember, this is a village without restaurants and only coffee and buns are available at the two stalls. For everything else, you have to move back seven kilometer to Nanjangud. Trains are available from Mysore at 4.50 am, 7.10 am, 8.50 am, 12.20pm, 2.40pm and 1.40pm.
- Picnic at Thandavapura village. Thandavapura has Agni Nethramma Temple with sylvan backgrounds suitable for a picnic. This temple has three other temples nearby. Ask for the temple near the highschool.
- Riverside Walk. River Kapila is very suitable for fishing and riverside walking. Very scenic surroundings
- Picnic to Kadakola. There are two Punjabi Dhabas with private huts on the highway. They serve meat dishes of north Indian flavour.
- Picnic at Golur bridge, near Nanjundeshwara temple. Paddyfields, canals, temples and riverside huts. Women wash their colorful clothes from the canal steps.
- Parijatha Bakery, Near Canara Bank
Only South Indian food is available in the small restaurants near the temple.A variety of Banana, called 'Rasabale", very tasty is available here.
- Surabhi Restaurant on Kerala road is very near the highway junction. This is a high class vegetarian restaurant.
- Ramprakash Restaurant at highway junction offers good vegetarian dishes.
- Bismillah Restaurant opposite JSS Polytechnic on Mysore Road offers meat and fish dishes at very reasonable rates.
- Durbar Restaurant on the KSRTC road offers good biriyani.
- Green Park Restaurant at Sujathapuram offers Kerala style chicken curry cooked in coconut oil. Overbilling complaints are common.
- Mahalaxmi Restaurant near the temple has vegetarian options.
- Safa restaurant near the KSRTC depot has meat and fish dishes.
- Cafe Coffee Day, opposite Sujathapuram Railway Station on the highway.
Hotels and Choultries are available mainly to cater the pilgrims.
- The temple has a government IB which is very comfortable, but you need permission to stay there. Temple also has a dormitory which is well maintained.
Lot of private lodges have opened up which are good for a nights stay.
- Brindavan Lodge, T.Narasipura Road junction, near Railway Station (1 km). Restaurant attached. This lodge is located in a peaceful corner of otherwise noisy and crowded city. ₹600.
- R.C.Lodge, Opposite JSS Polytechic on Mysore Road, ☏ . The rooms are not big but have Television and bathrooms. ₹400.
- Surabhi Lodge, Near Highway Junction on Kerala Road. Vegetarian Restaurant attached. ₹800.
- Sharavana Kalyana Mandapa Lodge, ☏ . The rooms are on the first floor of a wedding hall. The rooms have TV and western toilets. ₹200.
- Sai Baba Comfort Hotel, opp.Polytechnic. Good rooms. ₹1,200.
- Eshwar Bhavan.
- Mahadeshwara Palace.
- Nanjangud Plaza.
- Ranganatha Palace.
- T Narsipur