Navarre is a beach community in the Florida Panhandle, located between Pensacola, Milton, and Destin. It has won numerous awards for its beaches, and provides easy access to areas for boating, swimming, hiking, fishing, and camping.
While Navarre itself does not have a commercially served airport, it is easily accessed by Pensacola International Airport (around a 45 minute drive away), and the smaller, Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (which is around a hour drive away). Both are considered regional hubs and are relatively well served, Pensacola Airport having 18 destinations and Fort Walton Beach-Destin Airport being a focus city for Allegiant (however, many of the flights into Fort Walton Beach are only seasonal).
Navarre can be reached by car by several routes. If coming from Pensacola, Naval Air Station Pensacola, or Gulf Breeze, you may use eastbound US Highway 98 on the Fairpoint Peninsula, Santa Rosa County Road 399 beginning in Midway, or Florida Road 399 on Santa Rosa Island (a scenic route going through Pensacola Beach, Opal Beach, and Navarre Beach). Please note that the latter, Florida State Road 399, has a toll at Pensacola Beach. If coming from Interstate 10 or Milton, you would primarily take Florida Road 87 southbound. If coming from Fort Walton Beach, Destin, Panama City Beach, Eglin Air Force Base, or Hurlburt Field, you would primarily take US Highway 98 westbound.
Navarre and Navarre Beach must be primarily traversed with the use of private car. Taxies are available by telephone call or prior reservation online. Ubers and Lyft rideshares are limitedly available; however, due to their limited availability, their cost is often times at a premium.
Navarre Beach can be accessed by the Navarre Beach Causeway. The Causeway begins at the intersection of US Highway 98 and Florida State Road 399 in Navarre's Downtown area.
Navarre Beach does not yet offer public transit. The best option is to bring or rent a private car; however, Navarre is serviced by most car-sharing services, and also by taxis, but they are more expensive than those that you might find in urban, large cities.
- Navarre Beach, with its distinctive emerald green water, earning it the nickname of the Emerald Coast. Navarre's enormous stretch of beach is spectacular, with some of the most beautiful white sand beaches in the world. See the 'do' section and 'beaches' sub-section for the most prominent beach access points.
- 1 (first left after crossing the Navarre Beach Causeway from the mainland). The quieter area of the beach; preferred beach by the locals. Two beach access points (with a third being built for summer 2019) with bathrooms, picnic pavilions, wash-off showers, and a lifeguard post that is manned during the peak season.
- 2 , 8638 Blue Heron Court (inside Navarre Beach Marine Park), ☏ . A marine science center and conservation station; often has events and marine science camps for the general public, check schedule on their website for specifics.
- 3 , 8513 Navarre Pkwy (within Navarre Park). A memorial to the 2015 crash of a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter, which crashed within the Santa Rosa Sound (between the mainland of Navarre and the beach), as well as a memorial to all of those who have lost their lives in service to the United States and its allies.
Navarre is famous for its sugar white sand beach and emerald green water. There are over a dozen public beaches with parking boardwalks across the dunes. There are also three beach access areas, with bathrooms, parking, and pavilions for picnics and events, in the Navarre Beach Marine Park (see above section), which is located immediately to your left after crossing the Navarre Beach Causeway.
The main beach access points are:
- 1 Opal Beach (Gulf Islands National Seashore; Opal Beach) (between the main areas of Pensacola and Navarre Beach). A typically quiet area of the beach; part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore; location of the landfall of its namesake, Hurricane Opal.
- 2 (cross Navarre Beach Causeway, continue straight, parking lot for beach will be directly in front of you). This is the main and primary beach access point, often the busiest during the summer months.
- 3 (first left after crossing the Navarre Beach Causeway from the mainland). See above section for further details
- 4 Mom's Beach (Soundside Beach at Navarre Beach Marine Park) (Enter the Navarre Beach Marine Park, turn left at first left, and proceed foward to parking lot). A quiet beach with calmer waters; popular with families, kayakers, and canoers; it is suggested to not visit directly after heavy rains, due to potentially hazardous conditions.
Golfers will enjoy the area championship courses, Hidden Creek is the only one fully included within the Navarre city limits.
- 5 The Club at Hidden Creek (off County Road 399, in the Hidden Creek neighborhood). The premier golf course of the county. 18 Holes.
- 6 Tiger Point Golf Club (less than 15 minutes west of Navarre). 18 Holes.
The Navarre area is home to a number of regionally and nationally famous zoos, aquariums, and birdwatching sites.
Zoos and Aquariums
- 7 Gulf Breeze Zoo (Navarre Zoo), 5701 Gulf Breeze Pkwy, Gulf Breeze, FL 32563 (Travel west on US 98 for ~10 minutes, the zoo will be on the south side of the road), ☏ . 9 AM - 5PM (March 1st - September 30th); 9 AM - 4 PM (October 1st - February 28th). 50-acre zoo. Under 2 $0; Youth (2-12) $12.95; Adult $17.95; Seniors (65+) $16.95; Discounts for military personnel and large groups.
- 8 Panhandle Butterfly House (Navarre Beach Butterfly House) (directly adjacent to Navarre Beach Causeway), ☏ . The largest butterfly house in Northwest Florida, open between late spring and early fall. Take caution, and call to determine hours, as they are under renovations and may be closed for the remainder of the 2019 season.. Entry is free, however, donations are recommended. 0$.
- 9 , 8740 Gulf Blvd (at the entrance to the Navarre Beach Marine Park), ☏ . A sea turtle and sealife conservation center within the Navarre Beach Marine Park; check schedule for hours and public events. Under 2 $0; Adults $5; Seniors (65+) $4.
Though their are no trail riding providers in the area, there are number of regionally renown horseback riding teachers and facilities that call the area home. The most prominent are:
- 10 Ballard Ranch, 2738 Blue Jay Dr (Located on the northside of Turkey Bluff Road, towards the north of the town). Facility features a five stall barn, tack up area, round pen, lighted sand arena with equipment for practicing barrels, pole bending, obstacles, jumps, and dressage patterns. The shade trees provide comfortable cover for summer riding. The arena light extends the hours the arena can be utilized. Note: check website of establishment for information on the times of lessons, as well as contact information.
- 11 Bay Haven Farms, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Note: Bay Haven Farms is by appointment only, and they require that you call to schedule beforehand, and they will give you directions on the phone.
The Navarre area is home or has access to a great number of areas, marinas, portages, and rentals for boating.
- 12 , 1451 Navarre Beach Blvd (Located directly next to Juana's Pagodas, and Sailor's Grill; located directly across the street from the Navarre Beach Fishing Pier.). Open 24/7. Provides boating access to Santa Rosa Sound.
- 13 Holley Boat Ramp, 3100 Live Oak St (Travel north on Florida Highway 87, turn right onto Nelson Street, then proceed forward, turning left onto Live Oak Street, boat ramp is at the end of street). 5:30 AM - 7:30 PM. Provides boating access to East Bay and Blackwater Bay.
- 14 Woodlawn Beach Boat Ramp, 1422 Woodlawn Beach Rd (Travel west on US 98, turn left unto Woodlawn Beach Road, proceed to end of road). Open 24/7. Provides boating access to Santa Rosa Sound
- 15 East Bay River Boat Ramp, 2939 FL-87 (Entrance to access road located directly north of the East Bay River Bridge on Florida Highway 87). Open 24/7. Popular boat and kayak launch for access to East Bay, East Bay River, and Arachno Creek.
- 16 East River Smokehouse Marina (The Marina on Santa Rosa Sound). The main marina in Navarre, adjacent to the East Bay Smokehouse. Marina is located on Santa Rosa Sound.
Navarre is home to a number of souvenir shops and markets, all in addition to having two Walmart stores (one being a neighborhood store, the other a superstore; and there's also another superstore about 20 minutes west of Navarre), a Winn-Dixie supermarket, and a Publix supermarket.
- 1 Seashell City, 8771 Navarre Pkwy (Diagonally opposite from Taco Bell on 98). A souvenir store selling things to remember the beach by.
- 2 Island Style, 8715 Ortega Park Dr (Just east of Navarre Beach Causeway, on northside of 98), ☏ . A popular souvenir shop directly in the middle of Downtown.
- 3 Sand Dollar Cottage, 1900 FL-87 #I (On FL-87, just a mile north of 98), ☏ .
- 4 Where Y’At Seafood Market, 9575 Navarre Pkwy, ☏ . Tuesday to Saturday 11AM - 5:30 PM; Sunday 11am - 5pm; Closed Monday. A relatively new seafood market on the east side of Navarre.
- 5 (Northside of US 98, five minute drive west from Navarre Beach Causeway), ☏ . Seafood market just slightly west of downtown.
- 6 Gulf Breeze Flea Market (The Flea Market), 5760 Gulf Breeze Pkwy (Located across from the Gulf Breeze Zoo), ☏ . 9 AM - 5 PM (Saturday - Sunday); Closed (Monday - Friday). A popular outdoor market with the feel of a huge yard sale.
Navarre is home to a wide variety of independent restaurants, as well as the majority of the regional and national fast foods chains (specifically: McDonalds, Domino's, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Culvers, Taco Bells, Jersey Mikes', Hungry Howie's, Subway, Firehouse Subs, KFC, and Whataburger). The majority are in downtown, and are less than a five-minute drive from the gulf-side beaches. There are few chain, sit-down restaurants, mainly including the regional chain of Shrimp Basket. Nearly all restaurants are primarily casual, with the notable exception of the Beach House Bar and Grill. (See 'Splurge' sub-section below).
- 1 (westerly on US 98, near Navarre Station Post Office). A location of a small local chain of hamburger restaurants, Top's has some of the best burgers in Navarre, and is a popular little known restaurant with the locals.
- 2 Peking House (Located at the Shops of Navarre plaza in Downtown, adjacent to Publix). Take out chinese food.
- 3 All American Heroes (just west of the Navare Beach Causeway, just west of TC's). A popular local restaurant that offers custom made subs.
- 4 JJ Chagos, 8476 Navarre Pkwy (Just east of the intersection of US 98 and FL Highway 87), ☏ .
- 5 The Copper Bull, 7279 Navarre Pkwy (Towards west end of Navarre, across from West-Navarre Primary School; cattycorner to Walmart Neighborhood Market of Navarre), ☏ .
- 6 Johnny Houston's (near the east entrance to Holley by the Sea on 98.). A popular sports bar with tasty food and a family-friendly atmosphere.
- 7 Sailor's Grill and Bakery (on the island, to your right almost directly after crossing causeway.). Best sticky buns you can get on the gulf coast. Good omelets, good pizza.
- 8 TC's Front Porch, 8552 Navarre Pkwy (at the base of the Navarre beach bridge, north side of 98), ☏ . Open air restaurant with a selection of po'boys and various fried seafood platters. Very popular with locals and tourists alike.
- 9 New York Pizza Depot, 8207 Navarre Pkwy (on 98, opposite publix plaza.), ☏ . A popular pizza joint that's a five minute drive from the beach.
- 10 East River Smoke House, 8491 Navarre Pkwy (off US 98 on Santa Rosa Sound), ☏ . Popular waterfront barbecue spot; directly on Santa Rosa Sound
- 11 Stripes Pub and Grill, 1878 Andorra St (western building of the Public complex), ☏ .
- 12 Los Cabos Mexican Grill (on 98 just east of Walmart).
- 13 El Patron Mexican Grill (within the Winn-Dixie Plaza in Downtown).
- 14 Scooter's Fish House, 1968 Highway 87 (on 87, just north of 98), ☏ . Popular seafood restaurant. Rated as the best restaurant in Navarre on Trip Advisor.
- 15 Ye Olde Brothers Brewery, 4458 FL-87 (Travel north on FL Hwy 87; restaurant will be one of the last buildings before entering Eglin AFB, which is identifiable by the large expanse of woodlands), ☏ . Ye Olde Brothers Brewery in Navarre is a craft brewery and restaurant that focuses on serving fine foods, wine, and craft beer in a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere.
- 16 Samurai Japanese Steak House and Sushi, 8780 Navarre Pkwy (On north side of US 98; two to three minute drive from the Navarre Beach Causeway), ☏ . Popular sushi and steakhouse, only a few minutes from the beach.
- 17 East Bay Crab House, 9250 Navarre Pkwy (On northside of US 98, about 2 miles east of Navarre Beach Causeway), ☏ . Homespun location with quaint feel turning out Cajun-influenced seafood dishes & American classics. The oldest family-owned restaurant in Navarre
- 18 Vinnie R's (Western edge of Navarre, just off 98, in the Harvest Village Complex.). Authentic New York style Italian cuisine. Often hailed by locals as the best pizza in the town.
- 19 Alphy's Catfish House, 1900 FL-87 A (on right side of FL 87, almost as soon as you get on the road), ☏ . Homey seafood specialist serves simply prepared fish & breakfast some days in nautical digs.
- 20 Slippery Mermaid (on 98 next to the Sea shell store).
- 21 Beach House Bar and Grill (Navarre Beachhouse Bar and Grill), 8375 Gulf Blvd (Directly adjecent to the Springhill Suites on Navarre Beach), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. (Breakfast); 11 a.m. - 2 p.m (Lunch); 2 p.m. - 5 p.m (Bar Appetizers); 5 p.m. - 9 p.m (Dinner). Waterfront upscale restaurant. One of the few true upscale restaurants in Navarre. Uses local ingredients and delicacies. Known for having a good selection of cocktails, see the below, 'drink' section, for further details $40+.
- 1 Juana's Pagoda, 1451 Navarre Beach Causeway (immediately to your right after crossing the Navarre Beach Causeway).
- 2 Beach House Bar and Grill (Navarre Beachhouse Bar and Grill), 8375 Gulf Blvd (Directly adjecent to the Springhill Suites on Navarre Beach), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. (Breakfast); 11 a.m. - 2 p.m (Lunch); 2 p.m. - 5 p.m (Bar Appetizers); 5 p.m. - 9 p.m (Dinner). Waterfront upscale bar and restaurant. One of the few true upscale restaurants in Navarre. Known for having a good selection of cocktails. $10+.
- 3 Johnny Houston's (near the east entrance to Holley by the Sea on 98.). A popular sports bar with tasty food (see 'eat' section) and a family-friendly atmosphere.
- 4 The Grey Taproom, 7622 Navarre Pkwy. Navarre, Florida (From the Navarre Beach Causeway, head west on 98 for around two miles, the location will be on the right, beside Johnny Houston's). A wine and beer taproom located adjacent to a popular sports bar.
- 5 Ye Olde Brothers Brewery, 4458 FL-87 (Travel north on FL Hwy 87; restaurant will be one of the last buildings before entering Eglin AFB, which is identifiable by the large expanse of woodlands), ☏ . Ye Olde Brothers Brewery is Navarre's only craft brewery, serving a variety of wine, beer, and other liquors, while still holding a family-friendly atmoshphere (see the above 'eat' section for details of the restaurant portion of this establishment).
- , 1816 Alpine Ave, toll-free: . Navarre, A variety of beachfront accommodations including private homes, condos, and town homes.
- 1 Hampton Inn and Suites (towards the western area of the Navarre area, adjacent to the Holly By The Sea neighborhood).
- 2 Days Inn (on US 98, neighboring Winn-Dixie shopping complex).
- 3 Best Western (directly across from the Winn-Dixie shopping complex; located on Santa Rosa Sound; neighboring Navarre Family Water Sports).
- 4 Springhill Inn and Suites by Marriot (on the beach; when coming from Navarre Beach Causeway: turn right, and proceed 1/2 mile, hotel is on left; Hotel is on the Gulf of Mexico).
- Milton, known as the Kayak Capital of Florida, Milton is home of Coldwater Creek and the Blackwater River, beautiful kayaking/canoeing rivers. In addition, Milton is home to several adventure outfitters, who provide zip-line, backpacking, and tubing services for the forests and rivers of central and north Santa Rosa County.
- Ft. Pickens, part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, is a nature preserve and a civil war-era fort and museum. Activities include fishing, camping, historical research, and tours. A 7-day pass is $8, and covers a private vehicle and all passengers. It's located on the far west end of Santa Rosa Island, about 45 minutes west on Highway 98, then take the CR-399 bridge south at Gulf Breeze, then follow CR-399 right.
- Panama City Beach is an area more targeted to the younger crowd. It is a popular spring break destination. Head east on Highway 98 about an hour.
- Gulf Breeze is a smaller town to the west of Navarre, and provides bridge access to Pensacola Beach
|Routes through Navarre|
|Pensacola ← Gulf Breeze ←||W E||→ Fort Walton Beach → Lakeland|
|Gulf Breeze ← Pensacola Beach ←||W E||→ END|
|Dixonville ← Milton ←||N S||→ END|