Via Highway 101, the major north-south freeway or from Highway 37 which crosses marshland from Vallejo and Highway 80 or from west Marin on Hicks Valley Road/Novato Blvd.
Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit, or SMART, connects Novato with San Rafael, Larkspur, and places in Sonoma County: Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, and Sonoma County Airport. An extension is planned to Cloverdale. The Larkspur station allows connections to the Golden Gate Ferry to San Francisco.
Conditions may be too windy for bicycles to go "upwind."
There is limited Marin Transit (bus) service, which is primarily used by commuters. The bus serves a major stop "downtown" on Old Redwood Highway.
- Marin Museum of Contemporary Art, 500 Palm Drive, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W–F 11AM–4PM, Sa Su 11AM–5PM.
- The Space Station Museum, 464 Ignacio Blvd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Marin Museum of the American Indian, 2200 Novato Blvd, ☏ . F–Su 12:30–4:30.
Essentially a bedroom community but there are various hiking opportunities in the open space around Novato and Marin County (e.g. Mt. Burdell). Immediately west of town are rolling hills, cow farms and 60-acre-plus ranches—a pleasant, scenic ride by car or motorcycle.
- Maya Palenque, 349 Enfrente Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mexican restaurant with great staff, great drinks, great prices. Try the desserts!
- Hilltop Cafe, 850 Lamont Ave, ☏ . A local favorite for fine dining.
- Best Western Novato Oaks Inn, 215 Alameda Del Prado, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, 1400 N Hamilton Pkwy, ☏ , fax: .
- Days Inn San Francisco/Novato, 8141 Redwood Blvd, ☏ .
- Inn Marin, 250 Entrada Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- San Rafael, a charming city with plenty of restaurants and shopping, is a 15-minute drive south on highway 101.
- San Francisco is about 30 minutes south on highway 101.
- Napa, a widely-recognized wine-lovers' destination, is about 45 minutes to the northeast.
|Routes through Novato|
|Santa Rosa ← Petaluma ←||N S||→ San Rafael → San Francisco|
|END ←||W E||→ Jct N → Vallejo|
|Santa Rosa ← Petaluma ←||N S||→ San Rafael → Larkspur|