Oakland County is in Southeast Michigan.
- 1 Auburn Hills
- 2 Birmingham
- 3 Bloomfield Hills
- 4 Clarkston
- 5 Farmington Hills and Farmington
- 6 Ferndale
- 7 Franklin
- 8 Novi
- 9 Pontiac
- 10 Rochester
- 11 Rochester Hills
- 12 Royal Oak
- 13 Southfield
- 14 Troy
- 15 Waterford
Oakland County is diverse in its types of communities. These range from blue-collar to elite communities. It is ranked as one of the richest counties in the United States with over 1 million people.
English is the predominant language in and around Oakland county, and there are no strange dialects unique to this area.
There are many interstate highways leading in and through the county. Charter plane service is provided by Oakland County International Airport and commercial services are provided by Detroit Metropolitan Airport in Wayne County and Bishop International Airport in Genesee County.
Oakland Country is huge! Do not depend on public transportation. A car is needed and if you do not have one, rent one. Also there is limited bus services provided by SMART.
There are plenty of malls and concert venues located throughout Oakland County.
If shopping is your thing then head to Somerset Collection. This is a rather upscale mall; be prepared to spend and walk a lot. Somerset Collection is located on Big Beaver (16 Mile Road) and Crooks. North of Somerset in Auburn Hills is Great Lakes Crossing. This outlet mall offers a lot of shopping, a theatre, an aquarium, and plenty of dining. Great Lakes Crossing can be accessed via I-75 exits 83 and 84.
- Woodward Dream Cruise. A car fanatic's paradise, this is an informal drive along Woodward Avenue from Ferndale to Pontiac, where anything imaginable can be seen, from Vipers to vintage cruisers to tricked-out garbage trucks. Happens every August at the height of summer.
- The Detroit Zoo. The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for more than 2,000 animals from anteaters to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Polk Penguin Conservation Center is the largest facility for penguins in the world.
- Michigan Renaissance Festival. Inside turreted gates, visitors enjoy the sights and sounds of a 17-acre village, complete with building reproductions of Renaissance shops, taverns and a magnificent castle. Continuous entertainment takes place on the streets and on 17 themed stages; featuring full-contact armored jousting, comedy and theater shows, music, games, and people-powered rides. Fabulous food and more than 300 artisans displaying their works.
There are many places to eat in Oakland County, however if you are into the non-franchise type restaurants try Oakland Grill. It is in Oakland Mall which is on the corner of I-75 and 14 mile Rd. The service is top notch, the food is excellent and the atmosphere is warm and inviting.
- Sagebrush Cantina. In Lake Orion on Broadway, this charming restaurant has great atmosphere, amazing food and fantastic service.
- Vinsetta Garaga. On Woodward in Berkley, just north of the Detroit Zoo. Fantastic restaurant owned by the same people who own the Clarkston Union. The food is delicious, service is amazing and the atmosphere is top notch.
If the club/bar scene is your thing then head to downtown Pontiac. Tiki Bob's Cantina, Tonic, Sevin, and Clutch Cargos are some of the popular destinations. There are lots of bars. If you like the more classy atmosphere go to Downtown Birmingham for Blue Martini or Royal Oak.
There are many breweries peppered throughout Oakland County, such as Griffin Claw in Birmingham, Rochester Mills Beer Co. in Rochester, Royal Oak Brewery in Royal Oak, Witch's Hat in South Lyon, and The Woodward Avenue Brewers (stylized The WAB) in Ferndale.
Almost the entirety of Oakland County is safe, but take precautions when travelling on the southwest border near 8 Mile Road as it can get a little seedy, and there may be drig deals going on.
Parts of Pontiac can be a little dodgy as well. Exercise common sense and be aware of surroundings at all times.
Detroit is pretty neat