Ormond Beach is located at the north end of the Daytona Beach area. Ormond Beach was once home to oil industry multi-millionaire, John D. Rockefeller and railroad magnate, Henry Flagler, as well as the early automotive pioneers who tested their inventions on the hard-packed beach.
Today, Ormond Beach is known as the "Birthplace of Speed" and celebrates its racing heritage with annual events that reenact the early days of racing on the beach. Visitors to the area can enjoy a tour through the Casements, the former winter home of John D. Rockefeller, canoeing, fishing and viewing a vast array of wildlife at the Tomoka State Park. The area also boasts several beachfront and riverfront parks. Visitors seeking a quieter part of the beach can find it in the Ormond Beach area. In fact, beach driving is not allowed at the northern end of Ormond Beach.
Ormond Beach offers a humid, subtropical climate that is typical throughout Florida. Winters are dry and mild, marked by a constant series of cold fronts and warm-ups. Temperatures dip into the low 40s and upper 30s on occasion, although freezes are rare. Snowfall is very rare.
Temperatures in spring are famously pleasant with warm afternoons, cool evenings, and far less humidity. The summers are long, hot and humid, with temperatures frequently in the upper 90's in July. Thunderstorms are frequent in summer afternoons. Dangers include hurricanes from June 1 until November 30, although the area has not been threatened since the storms of 2004.
Although Ormond Beach has a Municipal Airport, it primarily serves privately owned aircraft. Commercial flights to this area are provided by Daytona Beach International Airport, Orlando International Airport, or Jacksonville International Airport.
Amtrak offers the Amtrak Auto Train service with its southern Terminus located in Sanford (Florida), about 35 miles west of Ormond Beach. The Amtrak Auto Train carries passengers and automobiles between Sanford and Lorton, Virginia, effectively serving as a car-rail link from Florida to the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. You can easily drive your car into Ormond Beach after departing from the Auto Train.
Amtrak offers regular passenger service with the closest stop being near the city of DeLand. This stop is rather remote and is not recommended as an option.
Greyhound Bus Lines offers bus service to nearby Daytona Beach. Upon arrival at the Daytona Beach Greyhound station, you will need to either transfer to a local Volusia County bus or take a taxicab to complete your trip to Ormond Beach.
Ormond Beach is easily accessible by car. Both I-95 and U.S. Highway 1 pass through Ormond Beach. A1A is a scenic North/South route along the beach.
Getting around by car is very easy and convenient in Ormond Beach. The major roads are all wide and easy to drive on with all the major areas signposted, but traffic jams around major intersections are common in the afternoons, and around the tourist areas on Saturday nights.
The main tourism area is Atlantic Avenue (North and South), a strip of road that runs parallel to the beach.
- VOTRANis the name of the local Volusia County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. A one-day Votran bus pass costs $3.
- A1A Beachside Trolley operates from January to Labor Day (September) along Atlantic Avenue on the beachside. They are air-conditioned and handicapped accessible.
- [dead link]Ormond Beach Performing Arts Center, 399 North US Highway 1, ☎ . A 23,000 square foot theatre that seats 600 patrons in a stadium-styled setting.
- St Brendan Catholic Church, 1000 Ocean Shore Blvd, ☎ . Ormond Beach.
- Cavalry Christian Center, 1687 West Granada Avenue, ☎ .
- Riverbend Community Church, 2080 West Granada Avenue, ☎ .
- Church of God, 433 North Ridgewood Avenue, ☎ .
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 801 Hand Avenue, ☎ .
- First United Methodist Church of Ormond, 336 South Halifax Drive, ☎ .
- Unitarian Universalist Society, 56 North Halifax Drive, ☎ .
- Tomoka Christian Church, 1151 West Granada Blvd, ☎ .
Parks and Gardens
- Bulow Creek State Park.
- Gamble Rogers Memorial Area, 3100 South A1A
- North Peninsula State Park, 40 High Bridge Road.
- Tiger Bay State Forest, 4316 West International Speedway.
- Tomoka State Park, 2099 North Beach St.
- Bicentennial Park, 1800 Ocean Shore Blvd.
- [dead link]Highbridge Park, 39 Highbridge Road. Open daily sunrise to sunset. Free.
- Birthplace of Speed Park, 25 Ocean Shore Blvd.
- [dead link]Casements, 35 East Granada Blvd. The Casements is the former home of John D. Rockefeller Sr. The City of Ormond Beach later bought the property and has turned it into a community center and museum.
- Central Park, 601 Flemming Ave.
- Haas Park, 900 W. Granada Blvd.
- Nova Community Recreation Park, 400 North Nova Road. Sports complex, playground, picnic tables.
- Ormond Beach Sports Complex, 700 Hull Road. Sports Complex.
- Sanchez Park, 329 Sanchez Ave. Boat ramp, fishing pier, picnic tables.
- Bad Juju Charters, ☎ . Granada Pier. Captain Scott Blanford offers in-shore fishing charters in the Ormond Beach area.
- Captain Kent Gibbens Backcountry Guide Services, ☎ . Granada Pier. Captain Kent Gibbens fishing guide services in the Ormond Beach area.
- Limitless Charters, ☎ . Granada Pier. Captain Todd Wynn offers in-shore fishing charters in the Ormond Beach area.
- Reel Budget Charters, ☎ . Granada Pier. Captain Josh Marlett offers in-shore fishing charters in the Ormond Beach area.
- Tail Hunter Charters, ☎ . Granada Pier. Captain Billy Rodne offers in-shore fishing charters in the Tomoka Basin.
- [dead link]Tomoka Guide Service, ☎ . Sanchez Park Boat Ramp. Captain Paul Messick and Captain Jerry Messick offer half-day and all-day fishing charters on the Tomoka River.
- Halifax Plantation Golf Club, 3400 Halifax Club House Drive, ☎ . Golf course nestled within a lush and magnificent canopy of century-old oaks, tall pines and natural vegetation on high rolling terrain.
- River Bend Golf Club, 730 Airport Road, ☎ .
- Riviera Country Club, 500 Calle Grande Street, ☎ .
- Tomoka Oaks Golf & Country Club, 20 Tomoka Oaks Blvd, ☎ . Features a full range of country club amenities including: golf, tennis, pool, health club, and dining facilities. Located among picturesque oaks.
- Horseshoe Farms, 2499 Durrance Lane, ☎ . Situated on 5,000 acres of woodlands filled with native wildlife, this farm offers trail rides and hay rides by appointment; riding lessons.
- Advanced Bodywork, 136 N. Orchard St., ☎ . Offers various massage services.
- Angelic Gardens, 115 East Granada Blvd., ☎ . Offers various massage services.
- Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf, 226 Cardinal Drive, ☎ . Offers a pirate-themed miniature golf course.
- Ormond Beach Tennis Center, 38 East Granada Boulevard, ☎ . Tennis center offers eight clay, lighted tennis courts and a tennis pro is on site and available for instructions and lessons.
- Trails Raquet Club, 300 Main Trail, +1 386 677-8081. Offers eight lighted clay tennis courts; includes a pro shop and lessons by a professional.
- Bikram Yoga, 138 W. Granada Blvd., ☎ . Offers Yoga services.
- Blue Moon Yoga and Fitness, 136 North Orchard Street, ☎ . Offers Yoga services.
- Hot House Yoga, 1400 Hand Ave., ☎ . Offers Yoga services.
- [dead link]Om Away From Home Yoga Studio, 386 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ . Offers Yoga services.
- Transformational Yoga Studio, 28 W Granada Blvd., ☎ . Offers Yoga services and massages.
- Fountain Square Shopping Village, 142 East Granada Blvd (Beachside). Fountain Square is 43,750 sq. ft. pedestrian shopping mall with a charming European village atmosphere, offering an array of upscale fashion and specialty stores.
- Granada Plaza, 161 East Granada Blvd (Beachside). Granada Plaza is 107,066 sq. ft. shopping center anchored by Granada Gourmet, Peach Valley Cafe, Outback Steakhouse, Starbucks, TGI Fridays, Walgreens.
- Ormond Beach Mall, 1222-1278 Ocean Shore Blvd (Beachside). Ormond Beach Mall is a 101,146 sq. ft. shopping center, anchored by Bank of America, Bealls Outlet, Edward Jones, Family Dollar, Publix Supermarket.
- Ormond Towne Square, 1478 West Granada Blvd (Mainland). Ormond Towne Square is a 251,645 sq. ft. shopping center, featuring many national, regional, and local restaurants, retailers, offices, and service oriented businesses, including Publix supermarket, Beall's, Ross Dress-For-Less, Bank Of America, and SunTrust Bank.
- Rivergate Village, 110-160 South Nova Road (Mainland). Rivergate Village is a 176,370 sq. ft. shopping center with a mix of national, regional, and local retailers, including Aaron's, Big Lots, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Tuesday Mornings.
- South Forty Shopping Center, 1102 West Granada Blvd (Mainland). South Forty is a 140,410 sq. ft. shopping center.
- Trails Shopping Center, 300 North Nova Road (Mainland). Trails Shopping Center is a 135,286 sq. ft. open air facility, offers a wide variety of traditional and unique specialty stores, anchored by CVS Pharmacy, Publix supermarket.
Genovese's Italian Cafe, 183 East Granada Blvd., (386) 677-3222. Serving pizza, pasta, salads, calzones and stombolis. Beer and wine. Open everyday. Lunch and dinner.
T.G.I.Friday's, 24 North Ocean Shore Blvd., (386) 615-8444. Family friendly restaurant with large menu of chicken, steak, seafood, pasta, sandwiches and salads. Full liquor bar. Happy hour specials. Open everyday. Lunch and Dinner.
Charlie Horse Restaurant, 810 South Atantic Ave., (386) 672-4347. Seafood is the specialty of the house. Famous for all-you-can-eat king crab legs. Wide variety of salads and sandwiches. Serving Beer and wine. Open everyday. Lunch and Dinner.
International House of Pancakes (IHOP), 190 South Atlantic Ave., (386) 672-7153. Pancakes, omelettes, crepes, burgers, sandwiches and salads. Open everyday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Dustin's Bar-B-Que, 1320 West Granada Blvd., (386) 677-5292. Wide variety of pork, beef and chicken Bar-B-Que. Beer and wine. Lunch and dinner. Open everyday.
Alfie's Restaurant , 1666 Oceanshore Blvd., (386) 441-7024. Seafood, burgers, salads and sandwiches. Full liquor bar. Open everyday. Lunch and dinner.
Denny's, 110 Williamson Blvd., (386) 677-5558. Pancakes, crepes, salads, burgers and sandwiches. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Hull's Seafood Kitchen and Market, 111 West Granada Blvd., (386) 673-8888. Casual seafood eatery and retail seafood store with extensive selection of shellfish and fresh locally caught fish and crabs. Beer and wine. Lunch and dinner. Open everyday.
- Billy's Tap Room and Grill, 58 East Granada Blvd, ☎ .
- Peach Valley Cafe, 185 East Granada Blvd, ☎ .
- Takeya Japanese Steak House and Shrimp, 437 South Nova Road, ☎ .
- Julian's Restaurant, 88 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- La Crepe en Haut, 142 East Granada Boulevard, ☎ .
- Ormond Steakhouse, 324 North Nova Road, ☎ .
- Stonewood Tavern & Grill, 100 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- Iron Horse Saloon, ☎ . 1068 North US 1. Biker bar popular during Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
- 1 Comfort Suites Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach, 1571 N. US Highway 1, Ormond Beach, FL 32174 (Exit 273 off I-95, go East .02 miles, turn left.), ☎ . Check-in: 3:00pm, check-out: 11:00am. Brand New 100% Smoke-Free, All Suites hotel at a moderate price includes Free Hot Breakfast Buffet, Free High Speed Wireless, Free Local Calls with In Room Micro, Refrigerator, Flat Screen TV, Pillow Top Mattresses plus Sleeper Sofa. 66 Suites. No Pets. Convenient to Beaches, all Daytona Attractions and Airport. $89.99.
- 2 EconoLodge Interstate, 1567 N. US Highway 1 (I-95 Take Exit 273, go East .02 miles and on left.), ☎ . Check-in: 3:00pm, check-out: 11:00am. Econolodge Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach, The Best Value including Continental Breakfast with affordable daily, weekly and monthly rates. All guest rooms with micro, refrigerator, TV, Free Local Calls, Free High Speed Wireless. Kitchenette Rooms available. Guest Laundry on site. 70 Rooms. $40.00.
- [dead link]A1A Travel Inn, 342 S. Atlantic Ave, ☎ . Across street from beach. Small pets permitted. Affordable daily, weekly, and monthly packages. All rooms have a micro-fridge.
- Americas Best Value Inn, 1614 N. U.S. 1, +1 386 615-1280.
- Aqua Terrace Motel, 599 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . Room amenities include cable TV and refrigerators in every room. Guest laundry on property. Enjoy our oceanfront pool and generous beachfront covered picnic table area.
- [dead link]Mainsail, 281 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 44 rooms.
- Comfort Inn on the Beach, 507 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 47 rooms.
- Driftwood Beach Motel, 657 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 44 rooms.
- La Breeze Inn and Suites, 505 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 41 rooms.
- Makai Beach Lodge, 707 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 108 rooms.
- Quality Inn on the Beach, 295 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 54 rooms.
- Sleep Inn Ormond/Daytona Beach Florida, 170 Williamson Blvd, Ormond Beach, FL, US, 32174, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Sleep Inn Ormond, a Daytona beach hotel is located right at the I-95 interstate highway. Sleep Inn Ormond provides a convenient location to greater Daytona beach resort area and Daytona International speedway.
- Aquarius Condo Rental Association, 1575 Ocean Shore Blvd, toll-free: . Oceanfront condo. Two bedroom or studio apartments. Heated pool, full kitchens, guest laundry, oceanfront, ocean view underground parking, traffic free beach.
- Seven digit dialing is in effect for local calls in Ormond Beach. The local area code is (386).
- The Daytona Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 126 East Orange Avenue, ☎ , fax: . Daytona Beach. The official sales and marketing organization for the Greater Daytona Beach Area, including Ormond Beach.
- Ormond Beach Chamber of Commerce, 165 W. Granada Blvd., +1 386 677-3454, . Another clearinghouse for local information about Ormond Beach.
It is common for many of the larger hotels and lodgings in the area to offer free internet access for their guests.
Public libraries in the area offer free computer internet access to Volusia County residents. There is a small charge for non-residents.
- Ormond Beach Public Library, 30 South Beach Street, +1 386 676-4191 .
Florida has a high occurrence of hurricanes. You might want to check the Hurricane safety page if you are visiting Florida. Beware of lightning in the central part of the state. Ormond Beach is known for a high number of shark attacks, so be careful when surfing. Also, there is a high occurrence of tornadoes in Florida, so check the Tornado safety page.
Ormond Beach has varying crime intensity by neighborhood. In certain parts of the city it may not be safe to walk alone or even in small groups at night. Tourist areas rarely have violent crimes, but theft is an occasional occurrence. The 911 number for fire and police emergencies is in effect in Ormond Beach.
|Routes through Ormond Beach|
|Jacksonville ← Palm Coast ←||N S||→ Daytona Beach → West Palm Beach|
|Jacksonville ← Palm Coast ←||N S||→ Daytona Beach → West Palm Beach'|
|Jacksonville ← Flagler Beach ←||N S||→ Daytona Beach → West Palm Beach|