Federal Hill is a district in Providence, located just west of the downtown area of the city. The area officially begins at Westminster Street, the southern limit, and is enclosed by Routes 6 and 10 to the north and west and Route 95 on the east. Federal Hill (familiarly The Hill or Fed Hill) is one of the finest areas in Providence during the day, but really shines at night. Limitless restaurants and shops line Atwells Ave., the heart of the area, as customers and patrons wander up and down enjoying the scenery and each other's company. Federal Hill is also known as the "Little Italy" of Rhode Island and its shops and restaurants reflect the background and soul of the area. Besides all of the great shops and restaurants, Federal Hill hosts many events throughout the year like the Italian Festival, and parades around the hollidays. Live music is also held is DePasqual Square on the weekends and the sounds of the streets transport one to a different place and time. No matter what the occasion, Federal Hill is a great place to relax and enjoy the sounds of the streets and the delicious smells in the air.
The Armory District of Providence begins south of Atwells Avenue, West of 95 South while North of Elmwood Avenue. The district is defined by the 1907 Cranston St. Armory and the 19th century Victorian houses that make up most of the architecture. The district is the most quickly evolving area of the city while still containing the "old world charm" of the more posh East Side/College Hill area. While largely developed in recent decades, the Armory still maintains it unique roots in quirky restaurants and holistic medicine shops. The Armory is known for it's hipster scene with exceptional hang-outs and funky eateries localized around Broadway and Cranston St.
With The Hill being right next to downtown Providence, you can easily walk, ride a bike, drive, take a taxi or a bus to visit Federal Hill.
See Providence for details on how to reach the city Providence.
- From the south: Take Route 95 North to Exit 21, take a left on Broadway and you are right in the heart of Federal Hill
- From the north: Take Route 95 South to Exit 22 for Atwells Ave, then take a right
- Royal Gallery, 298 Atwells Ave, ☏ . Royal Gallery is one of several fine art galleries in Federal Hill. Along with a wide variety of fine artwork to look at, you can visit poetry readings, book signings, art auctions and different seasonal promotions.
- [dead link] RI Market Tours with Cindy Salvato, ☏ . Perhaps the best thing you can do to really experience Federal Hill. A three-hour walking tour of The Hill led by Chef Cindy Salvato, visiting various restaurants and shops to sample diverse food and drink, meet chefs and vintners, learn history of the different places and even get tips on how to use everything you try in your own cooking.
- Columbus Theatre, 270 Broadway, ☏ . One of New England's oldest and most beautiful venues. It offers plays and productions for everyone, providing the "show" half of a fine "dinner and a show" evening.
- RI International Film Festival, 268 Broadway, ☏ . Independent filmmakers from far and wide flock to Federal Hill for the RI International Film Festival every August. The Festival has quickly become one of the most popular of its kind, voted in the Top 12 Film Festivals in the United States.
Federal Hill is a very nice place to go for an excellent night, but is best enjoyed with company. The heart and soul of the area is the closeness of all the restaurants and bars that really inspires visitors to move about to different places and meet new people all while enjoying the fine sights outside. Though the area is often frequented by higher-class individuals, they are more often than not very friendly and welcoming as opposed to snobby or rude. The Hill itself does not have any nightclubs, aside from dance floors in some bars or restaurants, but the very popular clubs downtown and concerts at the Dunkin' Donuts center are but a short cab ride or walk away. Federal Hill is a perfect place to eat at one of the finest restaurants in the area before a night out on the town; whether with friends, family or a romantic night with that someone special.
- Federal Hill Tattoo, 148 Atwells Ave, ☏ . M-Th 12-8PM, F-Sa 12-9PM, Su 12-10PM. One of the most popular area tattoo parlors, Federal Hill Tattoo offers classically trained artists specializing in custom large scale traditional American and Japanese style tattooing.
- [dead link] Atwells Tanning, 123 Atwells Ave, ☏ . M-F 11AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12-3PM. A great place to get that year-round summer look: waxing & facials, UV teeth whitening, airbrush tanning VHR, beds, booths and all kinds of tanning products to avoid the winter.
- Rosebud Salon, 90 Spruce Street, ☏ . T-F 9AM-7PM. Both new customers and old, women and men, are welcome to be treated with the finest hair and skin care products such as AVEDA and Yon-Ka. Rosebud is also a certified Great Lengths Hair Extension salon for ten years and counting.
- Professional School of Bartending, 108 Spruce St, ☏ . Just where you'd like to enlist to land a job at any of the restaurants and bars in Federal Hill. They offer day, evening and Saturday classes and boast unlimited job placement assistance. You can even sit in and watch a class for free to see if it's for you.
- Nara Lounge, 248 Atwells Avenue, ☏ . An upscale Hookah Lounge This Middle Eastern style lounge has a variety of both Middle Eastern and American drinks, food and dessert This lounge is decorated in earthy colors, with dim lights and low Middle Eastern music to create a relaxing atmosphere. Nara also serves 15 flavors of Hookah to choose from, along with entertainment Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings. Must be over 18 years or older to smoke Hookah and 21 or older to drink. Sunday-Thursday hours are: 4:00pm -1:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 4:00pm-2:00am.
A diverse array of shops adorns the streets of Federal Hill, all very close to each other, which makes for a great afternoon of walking and shopping before dining later on.
- Area 4zero1, 102 Dean Street, ☏ . A store with the latest fashion in the U.S., featuring Diesel, Prps, Earnest Swen, True Religion, LRG, Melting Pot, and more.
- Diva's Palace, 299 Atwells Ave, ☏ . Tu-W 12-6PM; Th-F 12-8PM. A clothing for women hosting a wide array of beauty products, hair products, jewelry and ladies' apparel as well.
- Garbolino Inc, 254 Atwells Ave, ☏ . M-Th 11AM-6PM; Fr-Sa 11AM-9PM; Su 12-6PM. Designer womens boutique, premium denim, one of a kind accessories and sophisticated clothing. Paige Premium Denim, Joe's Jeans, Ella Moss, Splendid, Custo Barcelona and more.
- [dead link] Westside Eyewear, 328 Atwells Ave, ☏ . M-W, F 10AM-6PM; Th 10AM-7PM; Sa 11AM-6PM. One of the largest eyewear collections in RI, Westside Eyewear brings high-style and high-tech together for a new experience with same old glasses.
- Classic Watch Company, 1080 Atwells Ave, ☏ . M-F 11AM-7PM; Sa 10AM-5PM; Su 12-5PM. They can repair all types of watches, and have a wide variety of antique clocks and watches for sale.
- Federal Hill Florist, 154 Atwells Avenue, ☏ . Tu 9AM-4PM; W 9AM-3PM; Th 10AM-4PM; Fr-Sa 9AM-4PM. Federal Hill Florist provides flower and gift delivery to the Providence, RI area or you can pick them up yourself. They offer a large variety of fresh flowers and gifts, and you can order online 24 hours a day.
- Gasparro's Wine, 361 Atwells Avenue, ☏ . # M-Sa 9AM-6PM. Gasbarro's has an extensive line of wines from California and Italy waiting for you, and four generations of the area's favorite customer service to help you decide what to buy.
Federal Hill has a large variety of restaurants, including contemporary cafe, tavern or diner setting for some Asian, Cuban, Mediterranean, Southwestern or, of course, Italian cooking.
- Blue Grotto (Grotto Azzura), 210 Atwells Av, ☏ , fax: . M-Th, 5PM-10PM, F,Sat 5PM-10:30PM, Su 12PM-9PM. Also an upscale restaurant where reservations are required.The atmosphere is romantic, with live music, fireplace, and ok for families/children. The attire is casual though there is a small dancing area. They serve Italian and seafood. Pricing is moderate to expensive.
- Joe Marzilli's Old Canteen Restaurant, 120 Atwells Av, ☏ . W-M 12PM-10PM. "Elegant Dining" with a taste of Italy. All meals cooked to order. It has a very old school Italian feel. Reservations and valet parking are available. Voted Best Restaurant RI Monthly and by Food & Beverage Magazine.
- Mediterraneo Restaurant, 134 Atwells Av, ☏ . Lunch M-F 11:30AM-3PM, dinner M-F 3PM-10:30 PM and Sa-Su 4PM-10:30PM. Creative, traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine with a distinct Mediterranean flair. Award winning design with a lively European ambiance, alfresco sidewalk dining (weather permitting) and an authentic Italian antipasto bar. Slightly expensive pricing, not always worth it. Some of the food tastes a bit average but still feels expensive because of the atmosphere.
- Cassarino's, 177 Atwells Ave, ☏ . Lunch: M-F 11:30AM-3PM. Dinner M-Th 3PM-10PM, F 3PM-11PM, Sa 12PM-11PM. Cassarino's Ristorante serves authentic Italian Cuisine. Voted "Best Italian Restaurant in Providence" by Rhode Island Monthly. Meals $7-$16.
- Angelo's Civita Farnese, 141 Atwells Ave, ☏ . Su 12AM-9PM, M-Th 11:30AM-9PM,F-Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Angelo's serves award-winning home-style Italian food. Meals $6-$15
- Jessie's Dessert Bar, 230 Atwells Avenue, ☏ . Su-Th 7AM-10PM, F-Sa 7AM-12PM. Jessie's Dessert Bar is an old-fashioned ice cream bar and dessert bar that serves gourmet desserts, coffee, gelato, and ice cream. Also open for breakfast Su-M.
- Pastiche, 92 Spruce St, ☏ . Tu-Th 8:30AM-11PM, F-Sa 8:30AM-11:30PM, Su 10AM-10PM. An intimate European style cafe serving sophisticated fine desserts, easily some of the best desserts in the city. Downside, it can be very packed and the space is very tiny, so grabbing something to go may be a smarter option.
- Caserta Pizzeria, 121 Spruce St, ☏ , . Tu-Su 9:30AM-10:30PM. Good family restaurant. Originator of the Wimpy Skippy. Enjoy traditional style pizza in a casual atmosphere. Voted best pizza and spinach pie by R.I. Monthly Magazine.
- Julian's, 318 Broadway, ☏ . Famous for their brunch, dinner and drinks as much as the artsy wait staff. Julian's is a haven for the alternative/hipster scene with exotic and original foods, vegetarian and vegan specialties, rare beers and eclectic local art. The decor of Julian's is floor to ceiling contemporary art, featuring: sculpture, mixed media, paintings, prints and kitsch collectibles. Just about every inch of the dining room and bar is hipster chic modified. Julian's hosts special events like their Beer Dinners, where patrons pay a fixed fee for a meal, a special brew and some live music. Julian's also offers homemade catsup, hot sauce, granola and tote bags. A must-visit spot for an adventurous eater and an art appreciator.
- Nick's On Broadway, 500 Broadway, ☏ . Open for dinner Wed-Sat 5:30-11 PM, Open for Breakfast/Brunch Wed-Sat 7-3pm, Sunday from 9AM-3PM. A culinary masterpiece. The fact that it's only open 5 days a week for dinner makes it that much harder to get into. The food is all local, and boastful of the fact. Make reservations and expect to wait for your table even if you are on time. Entrees $20-34
- Broadway Bistro, 205 Broadway, ☏ . Open Daily 5-10pm. Reservations only accepted for parties of 6 or more. A small upscale eatery in the heart of the Armory. Broadway Bistro is a small and intimate space with local artwork adorning every available square inch. The small and evolving menu reflects the atmosphere. Rich flavors with simple presentation and excellent ingredients. Entrees range from $8-20 with tapas style appetizers $6 and up.
- Nara's Lounge Providence - Nara's is the upscale Hookah Lounge located on Federal Hill. This Middle Eastern style lounge has a variety of both Middle Eastern and American drinks, food and dessert. This lounge is decorated in earthy colors, with dim lights and low Middle Eastern music to create a relaxing atmosphere. Nara also serves 15 flavors of Hookah to choose from, along with entertainment Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings. Must be over 18 years or older to smoke Hookah and 21 or older to drink. Sunday-Thursday hours are: 4:00pm -1:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 4:00pm-2:00am.
- Bombay Club, 145 Dean St., ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-3PM, M-Sa 5PM-10:30PM, Sa-Su Brunch 12-3PM, Su Dinner 5-11PM. Providence's best North Indian home cooking invites you to the Bombay Club. It's been in Federal Hill for 10 years and has spacious seating, a full bar, a casual atmosphere and you are welcome to make reservations or just walk in. Most entrees cost between $10 and $15. Not wheelchair accessible.
- Caserta's Pizzeria, 121 Spruce St., ☏ . Su 12PM-9PM, M-Sa 11:30AM-9PM. Caserta's provides some of the best value and quality on pizza in the area - a medium is what usually would be a large, and toppings blanket each pie. There is rarely too long a wait, and there is a very family-friendly casual atmosphere - everyone young and old is invited.
- Chef Ho's Chinese Restaurant, 243 Atwells Ave., ☏ . M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-10:30PM, Su 12:30-10PM. Offers dine-in, take out, cocktails and limited delivery service ($10 minimum purchase and $1 delivery fee). The staff is very friendly and well-liked in the area, as is their homemade Chinese cooking.
- KhooKitchen, 605 charles st providence RI, ☏ . 11AM - 11PM. Khoo Kitchen is a well known authentic Chinese restaurant that delivers to many customers located in the providence areas. With over 10+ years of cooking experience, Yen Khoo looks to serve you with the highest quality of Chinese cuisine. Students And Senior Citizens can also receive a discount off the entire purchase. $.
- Mediterraneo, 134 Atwells Ave., ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-3PM, M-Th 5-10PM, F-Sa 5-11PM. Offers a full and exquisite Mediterranean menu, and the upper level transforms to a very exclusive discoteca-style nightclub on weekends. Meditrraneo is also is a perfect place to spot celebrities who frequent The Hill. The website has visits by Alec Baldwin, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Steven Tyler and many more. Of course, you don't have to be famous to enjoy their excellent food and friendly service.
- Pastiche Fine Desserts Cafe, 92 Spruce St., ☏ . Tu-Th 8:30AM-11PM, F-Sa 8:30AM-11:30PM, Su 10AM-10PM. Located just around the corner from the cobblestone plaza in Federal Hill, Pastiche offers fine gourmet desserts in a sophisticated European atmosphere. It is a customer favorite, pleasing both newcomers and regulars year after year - the comments page of their website has an endless list of rave reviews and recommendations.
- Providence Oyster Bar, 283 Atwells Ave., ☏ . M-F 11AM-3PM, M-Th 5-10PM, F-Sa 5-11PM. Proper dress and no children allowed, the Oyster bar provides a shuttle to the Trinity Repertory Company and Providence Performing Arts Center, making it a hot destination for people attending events at those places.
- Tina's Jamaican Caribbean Restaurant, 223 Atwells Ave., ☏ . M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 2-9PM. Tina's offers Jamaican food cooked by authentic Jamaican chefs, and "food so great...you'll scrape your plate!" Tina's cuisine truly is authentic Jamaican as well, their ingredients are imported from Jamaica. Tina's also offers catering and party hosting on site. There also are Wednesday specials where everything on the menu costing only $9.
- Zooma Bar/Ristorante, 245 Atwells Ave., ☏ . Daily, 11:30-?. Zooma offers a high-energy, Cosmopolitan-type surrounding and uses local ingredients for its award-winning dishes. They cook mainly southern Italian food and the drinks are highly regarded by patrons. The service is friendly and prompt without overdoing either, and the lunch menu is very affordable.
- Pane e Vino Ristorante, 365 Atwells Avenue (3/4 mile down Atwells on the right), ☏ . Dinner 5 - 10PM. Italian ristorante and enoteca (wine bar) located on Historic Federal Hill, Providence, Rhode Island. It is where friends, family, and businessmen alike come to enjoy a relaxing and rustic Mediterranean environment, filled with the aura and sensation of the finest Neapolitan style Italian cuisine and wine. Pane e Vino celebrates the simple and basic things in life, without forgetting about the superior ways to enjoy them. Entrees $17-$34.
- Nick's On Broadway. W-S 5:30AM-10PM. Closed Monday and Tuesday. Great breakfast spot. The focus of this restaurant is on modern, organic cuisine and offers a variety of options throughout the day.
- Julian's Restaurant, 318 Broadway, ☏ . This hip spot is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This place is vegetarian and vegan friendly offering a great selection of options. They also focus on serving organic product and even make their own ketchup.
- Providence Prime, ☏ . M-TH 5PM-10PM. Friday and Saturday until 11PM.. This is a contemporary, upscale steakhouse offering only the finest meets.
- Sicilia's, ☏ . M-TH 5PM-12AM. Fri and Sat until 2AM.. An Italian specialty serving, pizza, calzones, salads, and subs. Dine in, take out, and delevery offered.
- Siena, ☏ . Siena offers upscale Mediteranian cuisine in a luxurious atmosphere.
- Venda, ☏ . Venda has been in business for over 70 years. It is the most well known restaurant on "The Hill" and is famous for their homemade pastas.
- Walter's Restaurant, ☏ . Walter's has reinvented Italian cuisine bringing a creative modern flare to the dishes that will surely please.
- Andino's, ☏ . 1940s retro inspired this restaurant will transport you back in time while serving you classic Italian cuisine.
- Camille's, ☏ . Camille's specializes in private functions and is a great place for a business get together or family party.
- Cassarino's, ☏ . Daily 11:30AM-10PM. Specializes in authentic, quality Italian cuisine in an upscale environment.
- Constantino's, ☏ . Daily 5PM-11PM. Another veteran on Federal Hill, Constantino's has been serving up authentic Italian cuisine for over thirty years.
There are no establishments that are solely "bars" in Federal Hill, but nearby downtown Providence has plenty within a short walk or cab ride's time. However, each Hill restaurant offers a full drink menu, and some have bars that are open separate from the restaurant portion:
- Camille's. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa
- Mediterraneo. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa
- Providence Oyster Bar. Bar open and drinks served until midnight M-Sa
- Providence Prime. Bar open and drinks served until 1AM M-Th, 2AM Friday and Saturday.
- Two Forty Two. Bar open and drinks served until 1AM M-Th, 2AM Friday and Saturday.
Though Federal Hill does not have any hotels in its small area, there are some in downtown Providence that are the usual short walk or cab ride away.
- Hotel Dolce Villa, 63 DePasquale, ☏ . The only boutique hotel on the Providence Skyline. Rooms are spacious and clean, though the all-white atmosphere may take a little getting used to. However, the rooms are comfortable - each is equipped with memory-foam beds, kitchens, and whirlpool tubs. At the rear of the hotel is Smoke, a tobacco and liquor bar.
- Renaissance Providence, 5 Avenue of the Arts. The Renaissance Providence a visitor favorite, it's one of the highest visitor-ranked places to stay in the area. The service is friendly and quick and very accommodating. The building is an old Masonic temple, which provides beautiful structure and an interesting history for anyone's stay.