It is a picturesque village on a peninsula jutting into the Hokianga Harbour, about half-way up the harbour. It is known as the town where the sun both rises and sets. Dolphins and orca are often seen here, sometimes following the ferry that crosses the harbour to Kohukohu.
- From the south, approach on SH12, then turn onto Rawene Road and drive 6 km north.
- From the north, take the vehicle ferry across the harbour from the terminal near Kohukohu. The ferry is hourly in each direction, except that there are additional services early morning, and at peak periods a shuttle service operates. Timetable.
- Clendon House, 14 Parnell Street (enter from Clendon Esplanade), ☎ . 10AM-4PM. Nov-Apr, Sa-Su; May-Oct Su; summer & Easter, Th-M. The house of Captain James Clendon, completed in 1869.
- Mangrove Boardwalk. Access from Clendon Esplanade.
Take a walk along Rawene's streets, using the free guide and map obtainable at most outlets.
Tide permitting, there is a small beach beyond the Boatshed Cafe on Clendon Esplanade. You can launch a canoe or small boat from the ramp. Take care of the river current.
- Rawene Market, first Sunday of the month at the Town Hall
- Craftwork, artwork and books by local authors at the Boatshed Cafe.
- Groceries, wine and beer at the Four Square Store & Post Shop.
- Fruit, meat, vegetables and lunch at Wardy's.
- Medical supplies at Rawene Pharmacy.
- Petrol, diesel, tyres and service at Rawene Service Station.
- Boatshed Cafe, 8 Clendon Place. Built on piles over the harbour.
- Fish 'n chips and other takeaway food at Hokianga Takeaways.
At the historic Masonic Hotel (built 1875), the Boatshed Cafe or (non-alcoholic) Hokianga Takeaways or Wardy's.
- Rawene Holiday Park (Rawene Motorcamp), 1 Marmon Street West, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A variety of accommodation options are available, ranging from tents to cabins.
- The Postmasters Boutique Hotel, ☎ . Above the ferry landing. Extensive decks look out over 3 sides of the Hokianga Harbour. Elegant ambience and warm hospitality.