Riihimäki isn't an old city, even compared with other Finnish cities. The first railway in the country (at the time a Grand Duchy of the Russian Empire) was opened between Helsinki and Hämeenlinna in 1862, and the small station of Riihimäki was built pretty much in the middle of nowhere. A few years later a railway from Lahti and eventually all the way from the imperial capital St. Petersburg was opened, joining the first railway in Riihimäki and as such it became an important railway junction which it still remains today, and a town started growing around it. In 1960 Riihimäki received city status.
Today Riihimäki is an industrial city, also home to some governmental functions like a garrison and Riihimäki Prison with the highest security level in Finland. The most notable attractions in the city are museums, such as the Glass Museum hosted in the former Riihimäen Lasi factory, and while Riihimäki isn't exactly a prime tourist destination, quite a number of travelers pass through every day.
- 1 Riihimäki railway station. Riihimäki is on the Finnish main north-south train line between Helsinki (commuter trains of the R, T and D lines about every 30 minutes) and Tampere (R commuter trains) (and further all the way to Northern Finland) and most trains stop here. In addition, there are some (about hourly) trains from Lahti (commuter trains on the G line). Commuter train lines R, T and D come in from Helsinki (about every half hour during daytime), R from Tampere, and G from Lahti. Coming from Helsinki airport, take train P to Tikkurila and swich to one of the trains from Helsinki there.
The railway station doubles as bus station. You can get in by bus from nearby major cities, see the Matkahuolto home page for schedules. As downtown comparatively far off the motorway, many of the buses between Helsinki and Tampere don't stop in Riihimäki.
Traffic isn't busy and vacant parking lots are easily found.
Riihimäki has 7 local bus lines and a service line. Line #1 goes once an hour, other lines even less frequently. A single bus ticket costs €3,30 for adults and €1,70 for children.
As it's a small town, pretty much everything is within walking distance.
- 1 Suomen Metsästysmuseo, Tehtaankatu 23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10-16. Hunting Museum of Finland. 6 € adults, 3€ kids.
- 2 Suomen lasimuseo, Tehtaankatu 23, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 10-18. Glass Museum of Finland, housed in an old glass factory. 6€ adults, 3€ kids.
- 3 Riihimäen taidemuseo, Temppelikatu 8, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 11–18, Fr-Su 11–17. Riihimäki Art Museum. 5€ adults, 2,5€ kids.
- 4 Riihimäen kaupunginmuseo, Öllerinkatu 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. We and Su 12-18. Riihimäki city museum. free.
- 5 Valtakunnallinen työväentalomuseo, Hj. Elomaankatu, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su 12-16 (May-Sep). National Worker's House Museum. free.
- 6 Finland's highest flagpole (Suomen korkein lippusalko), Merkoksenkatu 5. 40 m high, this is Finland's highest flagpole. Or at least until a higher one in Hamina will be finished sometime in 2018.
- 1 Kansainväliset erämessut (International Outdoors Fair), Urheilupuisto, ✉ email@example.com. Biannually, next event 7-10 June 2018.
- 2 Riihimäen maauimala/uimahalli, Salpausseläntie 16, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo, We-Fr 6:00 – 20:00 Tu 13:00 – 20:00 Sa-Su 10:00 – 17:00. Swimming hall open during the winter. During the summer the indoor hall is closed, and the outdoor pool is open. adults Mo-Fr 6:00 – 14:00 3,50 €, other times 5,50 €, kids always 3 €.
- 1 Kauppakeskus Atomi, Etelän Viertotie 2. Mo-Sa 8-21, Su 10-21.
- 2 Merkos shopping area, Merkoksenkatu 5. Several big stores next to each other, including Citymarket, Gigantti and Biltema.
- Hesburger. Mo-Sa 10-21 Su 12-21. The national hamburger chain has restaurants in Merkos, the Atomi mall and the ABC service station. 5-10 €.
- 1 Subway, Etelän viertotie 2, ☏ . Mo-Fr 9-21 Sa 10-20 Su 12-19. 5-10 €.
- 2 Ravintola AsemaX, Asema-aukio, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Fr 9-22, Sa 10-23, Su 12-20. Restaurant at the railway station. 10-30 €, buffet at lunchtime 10,20€.
- 1 Feeniks Café, Hämeenkatu 25-27, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Fr 11-19, Sa 11-16.
- 2 Café Kotileipomo Laine, Kaarlonkatu 18, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Fr 8-17.
Bars and pubs
- 3 Bulldog Bar, Eteläinen asemakatu 2, ☏ . Su-Mo 11 - 23, Tu-Th 11-24, Fr-Sa 11-02.
- 4 Riihimäen Poolbar, Eteläinen asemakatu 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo 16-22, Tu-Th 16-24, Fr 16-02, Sa 14-02, Su klo 14-22. Pool bar, that has pool equipment for sale as well.
- 1 Matkailukeskus Lempivaara, Karhintie 196, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Camping area with cottages, as well as places for tents and campervans. The smallest (and cheapest) cottages are closed in the winter.
- 2 Scandic Riihimäki, Hämeenaukio 1, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Seurahuone, Hämeenkatu 29, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Aarre Apteekki, Hämeenkatu 24-26, ☏ . Mo-Fr 8–19, Sa 9.30–17, Su 11–15.
- 3 Apteekki Merkos, Merkoksenkatu 5, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Fr 8-20, Sa 8-17, Su 11-18.
- 4 Aurinko Apteekki, Voimalankatu 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Fr 8-21, Sa 9-17, Su 10-18.
- 5 Riihimäen poliisiasema, Temppelikatu 8, ☏ . Mo-Fr 8–16.15. Police station.