Turkish Airlines offers daily flights into Trabzon Airport (havaalanı).
One can reach Rize by taking a bus or dolmuş from Trabzon.
There are several options including dolmuş from the city centre, bus from the Otogar, Havas airport shuttle from the airport, and Prenskale Turizm bus from the city or from near the airport next to Kalamiş Restaurant. All should cost 15-20tl.
Much of Rize can be accessed on foot or by shuttle bus (dolmuş).
- 1 Rize Kalesi (Rize Castle).
- Ethnographic Museum.
- Visit the Botanik Çay Baçhesi (Botanical Tea Garden) and drink Rize's famous tea and sample local desserts.
- Take a dolmuş to Tepebaşı from the mosque (cami) north of the central square. There are a number of excellent and affordable restaurants in Tepebasi that offer a full panorama of the city from a hilltop just outside of the city.
- Drink tea and/or eat fish at a number of seaside restaurants along the coast opposıte from the cıty center.
Buy tea (çay)!
Try local Karadeniz specialties such as Muhlama, Hamsi Boreği, and Alabalik.
Rize is the capital city of tea, you can drink tea. Also, except for neighboring Of, Rize is the most conservative city outside central Anatolia. Don't expect to have an alcoholic drink anywhere except from a few remotely located liquor stores.
- Dedeman Rize. A reputable 4+ star hotel in Rize.
- Keleş otel. An acceptable (and unremarkable) two-star hotel near the city center. Rates for a two-person room started at 75 TL as of July 2009.
- Take a dolmuş to Ayder, access-point for the Kaçkar Dağlar (Kaçkar Mountains).
- Çamlıhemşin with its stunning Ottoman Bridge spanning the Fırtına River.
|Routes through Rize|
|Trabzon ← Sürmene ←||W E||→ Junction N → Ardahan|