Roslagen is the coastal region of the Uppland province in Sweden, east of Stockholm and Uppsala. No longer a formal political entity, it is divided between Stockholm County, containing Lidingö, Vaxholm, Österåker, Norrtälje, and Uppsala County, containing Östhammar, Tierp and Älvkarleby municipalities.
These municipalities administer several islands of different sizes, such as Ljusterö, Blidö, Yxlan and others; these are described in the Stockholm Archipelago article.
See Stockholm/Norrort for Danderyd, Täby and Vallentuna.
The Wikivoyage articles covering Roslagen, from north to south, are
- 1 Älvkarleby – at the outlet of Dalälven River, considered the natural border to Norrland.
- 2 Tierp – a small town between Uppsala and Gävle.
- 3 Östhammar – famous for the Walloon iron industry and the sea-side resort Öregrund.
- 4 Norrtälje – the largest coastal town in Roslagen.
- 5 Lidingö – an inner suburb of Stockholm.
- 6 Stockholm archipelago – thousands of islands and skerries scattered along the Roslagen coast.
Public transport is scarce, but you get wherever you want with a car. A no-cost car ferry operates between Östhammar and Gräsö.
The maritime scenery.
- Forsmark nuclear power station (Öregrund) offers some guided tours.
- Pythagoras Industrial Museum. Norrtälje:
- Vallonbruken. the Walloon Mills, most of them in Östhammar.