Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, an agricultural village of 1700 people, exists to rival Wawa (a population-3000 former mining town in northwestern Ontario named with an aboriginal word for "goose") as an example of a tiny place with a ridiculous-sounding name. This is the only town in the world with two exclamation marks in its name.
"Ha! Ha!" refers to nearby Lake Témiscouata, haha here being an archaic French word for an unexpected obstacle or abruptly ending path.
Most traffic from the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada must pass through the narrow Edmundston-Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!-Rivière-du-Loup highway to reach the other regions of Canada. There is one alternate route, an equally-narrow road from New Brunswick through Amqui to Rimouski, but the Trans-Canada mainline is the more direct route.
- By lorry
- Drivers of large commercial vehicles with a rig and two 53-foot trailers must stop in New Brunswick, split their load as two separate trucks, then reassemble as one LCV in Rivière-du-Loup as the Trans-Canada Highway 185 in these parts is the last un-bypassed two-lane piece of a "Route 2" which used to run as the main road from Windsor across Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to Halifax. Expansion of this road is proceeding at a snail's pace, with the last 40 km between Saint-Antonin and Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! expected to be completed in 2018-19.
- By bicycle
- There's this charming little two-lane road through town, if you can get past all the trucks.
- ASTER scientific station. Astronomy museum and observatory with 14" (356mm) telescope, various programmes for primary and secondary school students.
- Témiscouta Valley Golf Club (Club de golf de la Vallée du Témiscouata), 265, ch. du Golf, ☎ , toll-free: (Qc), fax: . Eighteen-hole course with restaurant and pro shop, advance reservations accepted.
- Cantine Choupi, 109, rue St Charles, ☎ .
- Mamie-Jo Resto, 176, rue Raymond, ☎ .
The primary hotel and motel district for Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! is 10 km to the east in Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac, a small lakeside suburb on the main highway. The provincial park (Parc national du Lac-Témiscouata) is on the opposite side of this lake.
- Auberge la Voute Étoilée, 158, rue Raymond, ☎ .
- Motel Francoeur, 179, route 185, ☎ .
- Motel le Rendez-Vous du Voyageur, 192, route 185, ☎ .
|Routes through Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!|
|Lévis via ← Rivière-du-Loup ←||N S||→ becomes → Edmundston → Woodstock|