Amqui (pronounced « amkoui ») is located in the Matapedia Valley in the southwest portion of the Gaspé Peninsula. With almost 7000 inhabitants, it is the largest municipality in the valley and the county seat of La Matapédia regional county municipality, located in the Bas-Saint-Laurent administrative region where it is an important administrative and economic centre for the region. The place name "Amqui" comes from the Mi'kmaq language and means "where we have fun".
Amqui is a "village-relais": a municipality whose merchants provide all services normally expected from a service area located along a highway. Amqui, as service centre for the immediate area, has several institutions: a hospital, secondary and collegiate schools, a police station, a courthouse and various government offices.
|Daily highs (°C)||-8.8||-6.9||-0.2||6.9||15.4||21.1||23.5||22.4||16.4||9.5||1.8||-5.5|
|Nightly lows (°C)||-20.1||-19.2||-11.9||-3.8||2||7.6||10.7||9.7||4.8||0||-5.9||-15.1|
Thirty-year average (1984-2014) temperatures. The climate in Amqui is temperate. Winters are long and very snowy while summers are hot and humid. Seven-day Environment Canada weather forecast
- Amqui, lieu de rencontre (Madeleine Gagnon): Art book, featuring photography by Michel Dompierre. Recounts the history of the region.
Travel information for these villages is included in this page:
- Located east of Amqui on Highway 132. Known for its namesake lake on the Matapédia River and for Saint Joseph's Oratory.
- Small village located northeast of Amqui.
- Small village located south of Amqui. Known for Val-d'Irène regional park, a ski centre.
- Located south of Amqui.
- Small village located north of Amqui.
- Village located north of Amqui and west of Saint-Tharcisius.
- Located south of Saint-Léon-le-Grand, known as "Lac-Humqui" (and named for the lake).
- Located on Highway 132 west of Amqui. The marina of Val-Brillant gives access to Lake Matapédia and includes an Irish pub, a campground and walking trails. There are two fuel stations on Highway 132. A producer of raspberry wine, called "Vallée de la Framboise", sells its products directly; it is located on Lauzier Road near Highway 132 (south). Val-Brillant is also known for its Gothic church with two bell towers.
The closest regional airport is in Mont-Joli, about 70km west by road.
- 1 Orléans Express, 219-1, boulevard Saint-Benoît, ☎ . Intercity bus serving Amqui and other Québec cities.
- 2 Amqui station, 209, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . VIA Rail passenger station. Rail tickets available at City Hall.
and : From Montréal, Rivière-du-Loup and Rimouski, take Highway 20 east to its end, then continue east on Route 132. A-20 briefly reappears as a bypass around Rimouski; exit the bypass road at Mont-Joli, then simply follow Highway 132 towards Amqui. Otherwise, on Route 132, you will reach a T-intersection in Sainte-Flavie, which indicates "Route 132 East" in both directions; turn to follow "Route 132 to Amqui". From Quebec City, it is a journey of 4 hours 30 minutes by car.
From Matane, take Route 195 south to Amqui. This takes an hour by car.
|City||Road distance (km)||Routes|
|Edmundston||240||— / — — —|
There is no public transit in Amqui. Walking, cycling and driving are the best ways to visit the city.
There is one taxi company:
- Taxi Rapido 2004, 85 College Street, +1 418-629-4011
- Amqui's heritage railway station (209, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest) is still in active service. A wooden building built in 1904, with imposing and picturesque architecture that gives the impression of travel a century ago. A former passenger car "the Lynnewood", the oldest working Pullman car in North America, is located in the courtyard of the station and guided tours are organized during the summer season.
- 1 Église Saint-Benoît-Joseph-Labre, 88, rue Desbiens. Stone church rebuilt in 1986 within the walls of an old church (built 1917-1922) that burned down. Roman Catholic masses at 11AM Sunday and 6:30PM Wednesday.
- 2 Anses-Saint-Jean Bridge (Pont des Anses-Saint-Jean), Chemin du Pont-Couvert. Covered bridge built in Anse-Saint-Jean in 1931 and still in use. It has only one traffic lane and no signals; stop before driving through and make sure there are no oncoming cars before entering the bridge.
- 3 Beauséjour Bridge (Pont Beauséjour). Covered bridge crossing the river Amqui (located in Parc des Sœurs / Sisters' Park) built from 1930-1932. This was moved from Saint-Odile-de-Rimouski to its current location to carry pedestrians and cyclists.
- 1 Revermont Golf Club, 146, chemin du Golf, ☎ . Two courses of nine holes each, differing in landscape and game strategy, exceptional view, divided by the Matapédia river.
- 2 Club de quads de La Matapédia, 55, rue Chamberland. La Matapédia is recognized as the "Paradise of the ATV"; network of trails with many trail-side attractions.
- 3 Camp Sable chaud, 530, rang St-Philippe, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . Non-profit summer camp for 6-15 year olds, located on Lake Matapedia.
- Route Verte. The Green route is a cycle path extending across the province through more than 4000 km. The section in Matapédia goes through downtown Amqui.
- 4 Théâtre du Quidam, 20, promenade de l'Hôtel de ville. French-language summer theatre, August 1-18.
- 5 Aréna d'Amqui, 55, rue du Carrefour Sportif, ☎ . Free public skating, call or see L'Avant-Poste newspaper for updates to posted schedule on website.
- Club de curling de la Vallée. Curling club at municipal arena.
- Club de motoneiges Vallée de la Matapédia. A network of snowmobile trails reaches neighbouring villages and covers the entire region.
- 6 Club de ski de fond Harfang des neiges d'Amqui, 530, rang Saint-Philippe, ☎ . Cross-country ski club, five groomed ski trails (16.9km of classic ski [pas alternatif] trail and 10.8km of skate-skiing [pas patin] trail), three groomed snowshoe trails (4.6, 2.7 and 1.1 km). It is also possible to walk on the trails.
- 7 Bibliothèque Madeleine-Gagnon, Promenade de l'Hôtel-de-Ville, ☎ . Public municipal library in free-standing building next to town hall, closed Sundays.
- 8 Cinéma Figaro, 39, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . $8.25, kids/seniors $6.25.
- 9 Indoor municipal pool, Rue du Carrefour-Sportif, ☎ . Open swim, call for schedule. $2.50.
- Exposition agricole de La Matapédia (Matapédia Agricultural Fair), on municipal arena grounds. Early June. Annual agricultural fair with farm animals, rides, contests and exhibitors.
The vast majority of shops and stores in Amqui are located along Saint-Benoît Boulevard (Route 132). There is also a small shopping centre with a few shops and a supermarket.
- 1 La Cachette, 209, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. June 15-Labour Day. Artisan's boutique, was located in historic train station. Effective summer 2015, this merchandise is available at the Maison d'Odilon art gallery at 154, boul. Saint-Benoit Ouest (seasonal, opens mid-June, +1 418-631-1621 in-season, or +1 418-629-7816)
- 1 La Goumandise Four à bois, 158, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . 8AM-10PM Mo-Th, 7AM-11PM Fr-Sa, 7Am-10PM Su. Pizza, Wi-Fi, seats 100.
- Auberge Beauséjour operates a 40-seat restaurant (see Sleep section), daily menu, open 11AM-2PM and 5-9PM weekdays; 8AM-1PM and 5:30-9:30PM summer weekends; 5-9PM winter weekends.
- Microbrasserie La Captive, microbrewery also serving food such as hamburgers and sandwiches (see Drink section).
- Hôtel Gagnon operate a pub called La Terrasse (see Drink section) (+1 418-629-3434), seats 74. Wi-Fi. Open 10:30AM-2PM and 4-9PM weekdays, 10:30AM-1AM Thu-Sat, 4-9PM Sun.
- Restaurant L'Ambassadeur, in Auberge L'Ambassadeur (see Sleep section) (+1 418-629-8087), seats 43. Wi-Fi. Open 6AM-2PM and 4:30PM-10PM weekdays, 7AM-2PM and 4:30PM-10PM weekends.
- Restaurant Pastali, in Sélectôtel (see Sleep section) (+1 418-629-4471), Chinese, Italian and Canadian cuisine. Wi-Fi. Open 6AM-10PM weekdays, 6AM-11PM Fri, 7AM-11PM Sat, 7AM-10PM Sun.
- 2 Dixie Lee, 6, avenue du Parc, ☎ . 10AM-11PM daily. Fried chicken, seafood. Wi-fi.
- 3 Restaurant JoJo, 219-1, boulevard Saint-Benoît Est, ☎ . 6AM-8PM weekdays, 6AM-9PM Thu, 6AM-10PM Fri-Sun. Quebec cuisine.
- 4 Resto Cantine Fortier, 320, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . 4PM-midnight Mo-We, 4PM-1AM Th, 4PM-2AM Fr-Sa, 5PM-midnight Su. Quebec cuisine. Parking for trucks.
- 5 Subway, 2, rue du Pont, ☎ . 7AM-10PM daily. Submarine sandwiches, 44 seats, no parking.
- 6 McDonald's, 330, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . 5AM-midnight summer weekdays (Jun-Sep), 5AM-1AM summer weekends, 5AM-11PM weekdays and 5AM-midnight weekends. Hamburgers, drive-through, Wi-Fi, 75 seats.
- 1 Microbrasserie La Captive, 140, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . Restaurant and brew pub.
- 2 Hôtel Gagnon/Pub La Terrasse, 232, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . Nightclub, pub, restaurant and patio.
- Bar Le Billard, in Sélectôtel (see Sleep section). Billards.
Hotels, motels and inns
- 1 Auberge Beauséjour, 71, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . 7:30AM-11PM. Non-smoking, kitchenette in some units, Wi-Fi, restaurant. Breakfast. 9 units. $82-150.
- 2 Auberge L'Ambassadeur, 256, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ , toll-free: . Open year-round, non-smoking, pet-friendly, fitness room, whirlpool tub, kitchenette in some units, Wi-Fi, ski or snowmobile packages, snowmobile access, garage for snowmobiles. $83-170.
- 3 Sélectôtel Amqui, 340, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ , toll-free: . Open year-round, non-smoking, restaurant, bar, billiards, indoor pool, spa, fitness room, laundry, Wi-Fi. 75 units. 3 stars. $95-135.
- 4 Camping d'Amqui/La Maison du camping d'Amqui, 686, route 132 Ouest, ☎ . Mid-June to Labour Day. Located on the Matapédia River, which joins Lake Matapedia. Forested park with 146 serviced campsites, heated outdoor pool, pedal boat rental, kayaks, canoes, rowboats and bicycles, badminton, croquet and volleyball, marina. The House of Camping rents ten rooms overlooking the river.
Most restaurants in Amqui offer wireless Internet access. The local library also provides wireless Internet and public-access computers.
For life-threatening emergencies or crime in progress, dial 9-1-1. (Provincial police may be reached at 310-4141)
- Centre hospitalier d'Amqui, 135, avenue Gaétan-Archambault, ☎ . Small local hospital.
- Centre de la santé et des services sociaux (CLSC) de La Matapédia, 135, avenue Gaétan-Archambault. Community clinic on 3rd floor of hospital.
- Poste de la MRC de La Matapédia de la Sûreté du Québec (SQ), 155, avenue Gaétan-Archambault, ☎ . Police station.
- Service de protection contre les incendies, 30, avenue du Parc, ☎ . Fire brigade.
- Buanderie-nettoyeur de l'Est, 1-348, boulevard Saint-Benoît Ouest, ☎ . Laundry.
- Didier Automobiles, 189, boulevard Saint-Benoît Est, ☎ . 8AM-5PM weekdays (repairs). Repair garage, 24 hour towing, CAA approved auto service.
- Garage J.M. Villeneuve, 206, boulevard Saint-Benoît Est, ☎ . 8AM-5:30PM weekdays and 7-9PM Thu-Fri, 9-12 Sat (repairs). Repair garage, 24 hour towing.
- Pharmacie Brunet Amqui, 39, boulevard Saint-Benoît Est, ☎ .
- Banque Nationale, 72-30, boulevard Saint-Benoît Est, ☎ .
- Caisse Desjardins Vallée de la Matapédia, 15, rue du Pont, ☎ . Credit union with 24-hour automatic teller machine.
Lac-Matapédia is 10-15km from Amqui.
- La Pointe fine, Lac-Matapédia. Sandy public beach on Matapédia Lake, accessible by car, motorbike, boat or ATV.
- Seigneurie du Lac-Matapédia, Lac-Matapédia. Walking trails between lake and mountains, quad (ATV) and snowmobile trails, beaches.
Sainte-Irène is 20km from Amqui.
- Val-d'Irène regional park, 115, route Val-d'Irène, Sainte-Irène, toll-free: . Alpine skiing, snowboarding, 27 tracks on two slopes, cross-country skiing, tubing, snowmobiling, equipment rentals, dining facilities including a restaurant at the summit (with reservations), accommodation in apartments or chalets (reservation required), reception room. Aqua-Neige in spring (mid-April) where skiers try to cross Picolo Lake.
- Randonnées S.B., 78, rang 4, Sainte-Irène, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dogsledding for individuals or groups. Reservation required 2 to 4 days in advance.
Saint-Vianney is 20km from Amqui.
- Maxime Fournier Guide de plein air, 130, 1er rang Nord, Saint-Vianney, ☎ . mid-December to mid-April. Dog sledding (reservation required).
Val-Brillant is 15km from Amqui.
- Club de plongée les Pieds-Palmés, Val-Brillant marina, ☎ . Diving club, equipment rental, tank refills. A fishing boat, the Shemogue, was sunk 200' from the Val-Brillant marina in 40' deep water.
- Campbellton, New Brunswick is accessible by bridge from Point-à-la-Croix on Quebec Highway 132. From there, New Brunswick Highway 11 continues east along the Acadian Coast.
|Routes through Amqui|
|Rimouski ← Mont-Joli ←||W E||→ Causapscal → Gaspé|
|Rimouski ← Mont-Joli ←||W E||→ Causapscal → Moncton|
|Rimouski ← Mont-Joli ←||W E||→ Causapscal → Gaspé|
|Baie-Comeau ← ferry ← Matane ←||N S||→ END|