In 1867, the main condition for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia entering into the Canadian Confederation was to be linked to the rest of the country by a railway. In 1868, work began on the Intercolonial Railway and the authorities decided to have the railway turn at Saint-Octave-de-Métis in Gaspésie. However, this village, because of its rugged landscape, was not suitable to receive the train station and maintenance shops. The engineers turned to the higher 2nd farming rank of Sainte-Flavie, and the train station was named Sainte-Flavie-Station. In 1880, Sainte-Flavie-Station became separate and was named Mont-Joli, the name which the first settlers had used to describe the area.
Mont-Joli is the easternmost end of Autoroute 20, whose segment connects with the city of Rimouski. Route 132 runs through the centre of Mont-Joli as part of a loop that circumnavigates the Gaspé Peninsula; it is about 3 km (2 mi) southeast of Sainte-Flavie, where Route 132 intersects with itself.
- 1 Mont-Joli Airport (YYY IATA). Connections from Baie-Comeau, Montreal-Trudeau, Havre Saint-Pierre, Quebec City, Sept-Îles, Wabush
- Taxi de Co-Op de Mont-Joli, ☏ .
- Église Notre-Dame de Lourdes, 23 Avenue de la Grotte, ☏ . A Gothic church built between 1920 and 1925.
- The Murmures of the City. 36 murals spread around different locations in the city. You can do tour them on your own, or accompanied by a guide-interpreter from late June to early September.
- Lelievre Karting, 2011 Boulevard Gaboury, ☏ . Late June to early September: Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 09:00-15:00. Racetrack open to autos, motorcycles, Karts, radio controlled vehicles, do.
- Les Galeries Mont-Joli plaza at 1760 Boulevard Gaboury has a Metro supermarket, a Hart discount store, and a liquor store.
Eat and drink
- Rest-Pub le Frederike, 1574 Gaboury, ☏ . Su-Tu 06:00 - 00:00, W 05:30 - 00:00, Th F 05:00 - 02:00, Sa 05:00 - 02:00. 3-course dinner $18-19.
- [dead link] Momento, 1030-C Gaspesie Avenue, ☏ . Tu-F 11:00 - 22:00, Sa 16:00 - 22:00. Steakhouse and pasta. Mains $15-29.
- Ma Cabane en Gaspesie, 1017, Boul. Jacques-Cartier, ☏ . Daily 07:00-18:00. Gourmet food shop and restaurant, with a focus on maple products. Breakfasts and lunches $7-14.
- 1 Mon Joli Motel, 800, route Flavie-Drapeau, ☏ , toll-free: . Restaurant, lounge, air conditioning, small refrigerator, coffee maker, three accessible rooms. Low season/high season: single $85/95, double $113/129.
- Le Gaspesiana, 460 Route de la Mer, Sainte-Flavie (4 km from Mont-Joli), ☏ , toll-free: . Smoke-free riverfront motel with a health centre and a gourmet restaurant. Free Wi-Fi, coffee-maker, fridge. Pets welcome ($20 fee). Doubles $95-105.
|Routes through Mont-Joli|
|Sainte-Foy ← Rimouski ←||W E||→ Amqui → Moncton|
|Rivière-du-Loup ← Rimouski ←||W E||→ Matane/Amqui → Gaspé|