Rimouski is a small city on the coast of the St. Lawrence River. It can be considered the university city of eastern Quebec. Unfortunately, voyagers often view Rimouski merely as a stop on the way to the Gaspé Peninsula. However, there are many interesting things to see in the region.
The Bas-Saint-Laurent region is not as touristic as the Gaspé Peninsula, so speaking a bit of French can help you very much.
- 1 Bureau d'information touristique de Rimouski (Rimouski Tourist Information Centre), 50 Rue St Germain O, Rimouski, ☎ . M-F 9AM–4:30PM.
- Air Canada makes daily flights to Baie-Comeau and Montréal; that is, two flights daily, except Saturdays, when there is one morning flight
- Pascan Aviation makes daily flights to Quebec City, Montréal, Baie-Comeau/Sept-Îles and Bonaventure/Îles de la Madeleine throughout the year, 5 days a week, from Monday through Friday
Rimouski Airport (YXK IATA) handles general aviation and cargo flights.
VIA Rail train station located near downtown. Eastbound train arrives at 1:30am and Westbound train arrives at 1:50am.
Route 132 leads westward to Quebec City and Montreal. There are two disconnected segments of Autoroute 20 which bypass portions of this road; one is a local bypass around Rimouski, the other is the main freeway from Rivière-du-Loup westward to Ontario.
Route 132 east forks at Ste-Flavie near Mont-Joli, becoming a coastal road which circles the entire Gaspé Peninsula.
Orléans Express has many daily runs to Rivière-du-Loup. Onward connections are available to Quebec City and Montreal. Maritime Bus has taken over the former Acadian Lines run from Rivière-du-Loup to Moncton with connections to NB/NS/PEI.
Rimouski-Forestville Ferry Seasonal ferry service to Forestville on the CNN Evolution. A catamaran ferry that holds the title of fastest ferry in the province of Quebec.
Rivière-du-Loup/Saint-Siméon Ferry The MV Trans-St-Laurent provides seasonal ferry service from April to January. Travellers are advised to contact the ferry agency directly for more accurate schedule details.
Matane/Baie-Comeau-Godbout The MV Camille-Marcoux is a government run ferry providing service to Baie-Comeau and Godbout on the north shore of the St-Lawrence River with 4-6 departures daily year round. Vehicle reservations are required.
- National Rent-a-Car
- Bleu Pelican
Taxi +1 418-723-3344, There is one taxi company in Rimouski; they are very clean and easy to call.
Public Transit Public transit in Rimouski is minimal and serves only the central portion of the city (phone : +1 418-723-5555).
- Taxi-Bus is a taxi that picks up and stops at designated stops (like a city bus) but must be reserves an hour in advance with a membership card.
- CitéBus is the public bus system of the city.
- 1 Site historique maritime, 1000 Rue du Phare, Rimouski. At Point-au-Père, a small town near Rimouski which marks the official dividing point between the St. Lawrence River and the open Gulf. The lighthouse is the second-tallest in Canada; the buildings which once housed lighthouse keepers may be visited. There is a marine museum with extensive coverage of the "Empress of Ireland" ocean liner collision and sinking; a "Hangar 14" historic museum recounts life in 1914. The Onondaga, a submarine in Canadian military service from 1967-2000, can be visited; an overnight stay on the ship is available by advance reservation.
- 2 Canyon de la Porte de l'Enfer, 1280 Chemin Duchénier, Saint-Narcisse-de-Rimouski, ☎ . A canyon in the mountains south of Rimouski.
- 3 Parc national du Bic. A coastal park only 20 minutes away from Rimouski. Sea kayak and hiking are very popular.
- 4 (French only) Musée régional de Rimouski, 35 Rue Saint-Germain Ouest, Rimouski, ☎ . Regional museum in old stone church.
- Maison Lamontagne, 707, boulevard du Rivage, ☎ .
- Île Saint-Barnabé. From the marina, take the boat ($16.50, every 30 minutes) to the island in front or Rimouski. You can walk in nature.
- 1 Université du Québec à Rimouski, 300 Allée des Ursulines, Rimouski. The university is renowned for its courses in oceanography and in marine biology.
- 2 Institut Maritime Du Québec, 53 Rue Saint Germain O, Rimouski, QC G5L 4B4, ☎ .
- 1 SmartCentres Rimouski, 415 Montée Industrielle-et-Commerciale, Rimouski. A shopping mall with Best Buy, supermarket, Winners, furniture store, gas station and other stores.
- Cantine de la gare, 2 rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste Est, ☎ . The Famous Dero Poutine
- La Maison du Spaghetti,, 35 rue St-Germain Est Rimouski, ☎ .
- 1 Gouverneur Hotel Rimouski, 155 Boulevard René Lepage E, Rimouski, toll-free: . Near Tim Horton's, A&W and Marie Antionette restaurants.
- 2 Hôtel Rimouski, 225 Boulevard René Lepage E, Rimouski, ☎ . Also a conference centre
|Routes through Rimouski|
|Lévis ← Trois-Pistoles ←||W E||→ Mont-Joli → Gaspé|
|Lévis ← Trois-Pistoles ←||W E||→ Mont-Joli → Moncton|
|Rivière-du-Loup ← Trois-Pistoles ←||W E||→ Mont-Joli → Gaspé|