Nominally in eastern Québec's Bas-Saint-Laurent administrative region, Matane is located on the south shore of the St. Lawrence where it serves as a gateway to the Gaspé Peninsula. A charming seaside community known for its excellent shrimp, Matane is the seat of "La Matanie" MRC (regional municipal county) and the largest economic centre serving the Gaspé region to the east. The town has about 15,000 inhabitants and the urban area nearly 25,000.
The Matane River, 101 km (63 miles) in length, is well-known as a good place to learn to fish.
- Local travel information, 968 avenue du Phare Ouest (available at the old lighthouse), toll-free: .
Matane is on Québec Route 132, a road which makes a wide loop around the entire Gaspé coast, ultimately intersecting itself.
- and from Montréal, Québec City, Rivière-du-Loup and Rimouski: Take Autoroute 20 east to Route 132, continuing downriver. A T-intersection in Sainte-Flavie shows "Route 132 East" intersecting with itself; continue straight ahead. If taking the second portion of A-20, at the roundabout in Mont-Joli take Route 132 towards Matane. (From Québec City, Matane is about 4 hours 20 minutes by car.)
- from Sainte-Anne-des-Monts, take Route 132 west to Matane (a little over one hour drive).
- and from Gaspé, take Route 198 west to its end, then continue on Route 132 west to Matane (about 4 hours). As an alternative, take Route 132 west directly from Gaspé; it is more scenic as it follows the St. Lawrence (but takes a little over 4 hours).
- from Amqui, take Route 195 north to Matane (approximately an hour by car).
- From the north shore (Baie-Comeau or Godbout), it is possible to reach Matane via the Camille-Marcoux ferry, operated by la Société des traversiers du Québec. Advance reservations are recommended, especially if you plan to bring a vehicle.
- A marina at Matane serves those cruising on small craft.
- Orléans Express, 521, avenue du Phare Est.
The closest regional airport is in Mont-Joli (YYY IATA), a little under an hour west of Matane by road. As flights to regional airports can be expensive, consider other means of transport before booking a flight.
- National, 795, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-5PM, Sa Su 8AM-5PM. Hire cars.
- 1 Phare-Musée maritime de Matane (Lighthouse and maritime museum), 968, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . July to mid-August. 1906-era lighthouse with 20-m tower. Museum includes the wheelhouse equipment of a modern ship. View maritime traffic, the wind farm, the Chic-Choc Mountains and the city. The keeper's house is the regional tourist bureau. Average length of visit 1 hour. $4/adult, $2/child.
- Centre d'observation de la montée du saumon (Salmon ladder observation centre), 260, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . Mid-June to September. Observe Atlantic salmon in two windowed basins installed into the salmon ladder/fishway. Photography and artefacts describe the history of the Matane river and its dams. Introductory and advanced lessons in salmon fishing available on request. Average length of visit 1 hour. $3/adult, 12 and under free.
- Les Jardins de Doris, 645, avenue Henri-Dunant, ☏ , toll-free: . mid-June to mid-October. Among the 50 gardens to visit ("50 jardins à visiter du Québec"), 185,000 ft² (17,200 m2) in area. Flowerbeds and rock gardens, butterfly aviary, sundials, giant chess game, observation tower, animal park, zen garden, cactus, fruit trees, bird watching, souvenir shop. Average length of visit 1 hour 30 minutes. $13/adult, $12/senior (age 50+), $6/student, $4/child (6-12), free 5 yrs and under.
- 2 Réserve faunique de Matane (Matane Wildlife Reserve), 257, avenue Saint-Jérôme (40 km southeast of Matane, via Route 195), ☏ . June-Aug. Largest concentration of animals per square kilometre in Québec. Educational activities describe wildlife. Moose interpretative centre, black bear observation, photo safari, wildlife viewing in kayaks, hunting, fishing, hiking including 1000-metre mountains. Accommodation in cottages (BBQ and kayak included) located near a lake or river, camping.
- Centre d'interprétation de l'orignal (Moose Interpretation Centre), in Matane Wildlife Reserve, ☏ , toll-free: . July to early Sept. Information and education on moose and black bears, moose photo safari, black bear observation in their natural habitat, wildlife viewing by kayak, hiking trails. Lakeside cottage and campsite rental. Average length of visit 1 hour 30 minutes. free.
- 3 La maison Horace-Bouffard (Horace-Bouffard house), 961, rang des Bouffard (Petit-Matane), ☏ . mid-June to mid-September. Typical country house of the region, 20th century atmosphere. The incredible story of the six Bouffard-Durette marriages is a verified Guinness record for the record books. Museum. Average length of visit 1 hr. $7/adult, $2/child, special prices for groups.
- Poste de traite de fourrures (Fur trading post), 655, avenue Henri-Dunant, ☏ . July to mid-August. Reconstruction of Matane trading post, history of trapping in the region and ancestral trappers, exposition and interpretation that allows visitors to touch and admire furs. $4/adult, $2/child, special prices for groups.
- Sentier international des Appalaches-Québec (Appalachian-Québec International Trail), information: 968, avenue du Phare Ouest, access via Matane wildlife reserve, toll-free: . Trail traversing the entire Gaspé (more than 650 km). The section in the Matane wildlife reserve runs more than 100 km through the Chic-Chocs. Moose watching, camping on platforms or in closed shelters (reservation required), other services available (guides, transport, maps, etc.) free.
- 1 Société de guides au saumon, 443, rue Fournier, toll-free: . June to September. Initiation to Atlantic salmon sport fishing with an instructor/guide. Includes equipment and transportation, fly fishing training, professional fishing guide certified according to national standards. from $160/day.
- [dead link] SPS Marine, 191, rue Savard (industrial park), toll-free: . Underwater diving accompagnied by certified guide. For certified divers only (special cases to be discussed, depending on availability of an instructor), boat trips or from shore. Rich wildlife and underwater flora, visual inspection service, diving air bottle station, equipment rentals (reservations required). Reservation 48 hours in advance.
- Club de golf de Matane, 679, route 195, ☏ . May to mid-October. Par 71 eighteen-hole course. Equipment rental, motorised carts, golf pro shop, driving range, restaurant, bar, patio. Professional training available. $42/person for 18 holes (juniors discounts, reduced price before 8AM/after 2PM).
- Parc des Îles et promenades des Capitaines (Islands Park and Captains' Walk), downtown, ☏ . Supervised beach. Rent pedal boats, kayaks and rollerblades. Playground, mini golf.
- Club de quads Les Coyotes de Matane, ☏ . 315 km of marked trails for all-terrain vehicles (ATV "quads" are "véhicules tout terrain" in Québec). Map available on website.
- Location Sport Aventure Éric St-Louis, 487, route 132 (secteur Petit-Matane), ☏ . Adventure sport rentals, sale and rental of hunting equipment, boats and engines, recreational vehicles, trailers and tent trailers, ATVs, motorcycles.
- École d'équitation La Cavalcade, 2187, rue de Matane-sur-Mer, ☏ . Equestrian riding school.
- Jardins de l'Orme, 1584, route du Grand-Détour, ☏ . Flowers, herbs, vegetables, handmade soaps.
Restaurants, cafés and bistros
- La Table du Capitaine (Captain's Table), 260, rue du Barachois, toll-free: . lunch and dinner. Fish and seafood, lobster pound, lobster buffet (May 17 to July 12), grill, pizzas (including seafood pizza), pasta, menu for children. 75 seats, patio. $15-50.
- Bistro Boréalis, 985, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . Sushi, fish and chips, smoked meat, Thai food, seafood, privately imported wines, desserts, roasted coffee. 60 seats, patio.
- Italia Pizzeria/Brasserie Le Vieux loup de mer (Old Sea Wolf), 101, rue Saint-Pierre, ☏ . lunch and dinner. Canadian and Italian cuisine, menu of the day. 175 seats, orchestra on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Menu du jour from $7.
- Café aux Délices, 109, rue Saint-Jean, ☏ . Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Canadian cuisine, Chinese and Italian dishes, seafood. 385 seats, terrace, evening entertainment.
- Restaurant du Chef, 604, avenue du Phare Est, ☏ . breakfast, lunch and dinner. Canadian, Chinese and Italian cuisine, pizzas. 72 seats.
- Restaurant La Terrasse, 1550, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . Breakfast and dinner. Seafood, barbecue/grill, ribs, Sunday brunch. 75 places.
- Restaurant-bar Le 21, 750, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . lunch and supper. Steaks, seafood. 125 seats.
- St-Hubert Express, 1305, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . lunch, dinner. Roast chicken. 144 seats, patio.
- Crêperie-brûlerie Cafés du monde, 338, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . breakfast, lunch, dinner. Crêpes bretonnes, paninis, seafood, daily specials, specialty coffee, micro-brewery beers, wines. 40 seats, wi-fi.
- Le Bistro "C", 318, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . lunch, supper. Fine bistro cuisine. 40 seats.
- Boulangerie Toujours Dimanche, 443, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . Bakery, artisan breads, pastries and treats, cafés, foccacias, sandwiches. Homemade products, natural and local ingredients. Boutique, visual arts exhibitions, free wi-fi.
- Fumoirs Raouls Roux Ltée, 1259, rue de Matane-sur-Mer, ☏ . Internationally renowned smokehouse, original recipe, smoked fish including salmon, cod, shrimp, turbot and salmon mousse, homemade products such as salmon and seafood pâté.
- [dead link] Poissonnerie Boréalis, 985, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . Fresh fish and seafood year-round, homemade products, fresh, frozen, smoked and pickled, sushi. Free tasting and packaging.
- [dead link] Poissonnerie du Phare Ouest (Lighthouse West fish market), 935, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . Fish, seafood and shellfish. Fresh, frozen, smoked, salted and dried.
- Poissonnerie Matanaise, 301, rue Fournier, ☏ . Fish and fresh seafood, homemade products, fresh and frozen organic meat, egg rolls, free ice, free packaging.
- Saveurs Particulières (Special Flavours), 436, avenue Saint-Jérôme, toll-free: . Deli. Québec and imported products arrive weekly. Tastings.
- La Fabrique (The Factory), 360, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . Brew pub. Restaurant (lunch and supper, $15-50) serving fish and seafood, sandwiches, burgers. Café-bistro menu and bistro-pub, international cuisine, local regional and organic products. Beer cuisine, beers brewed locally/on-site. 100 seats, patio, live popular music, art exhibitions, film screenings, storytelling evenings (see calendar).
Inns and guesthouses
- Gîtes des Îles, 29, avenue Desjardins, ☏ . No smoking, pets welcome, Internet access. 2 units. $72-80.
- Gîte le Lové du Pionner, 1, rue Noël, toll-free: . Non-smoking. Dining room, Internet access. 4 units. 3 stars. $70.
- Auberge la Seigneurie, 621, avenue Saint-Jérôme, toll-free: . Bike rental, laundry, daycare, Internet access. 12 units. 3 stars. Restaurant ($15-50, breakfast lunch and dinner) serves fine cuisine du terroir, cuisine québécoise, fish and seafood. 50 seats. $100-160.
- Riôtel Matane, 250, avenue du Phare Est, toll-free: . Pets allowed, air conditioning, sauna, Internet, on the beach. 96 units. 4 stars. Restaurant ($15-50, +1-800-463-7468) open for breakfast, dinner by reservation; cuisine includes fish and seafood, lobster (in season), grilled meat, pasta. Children's menu. 86 seats, patio, bar. $100-300.
- Quality Inn & Suites Matane, 1550, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . Whirlpool bath, air conditioning, babysitting service, laundry, fitness room, sauna, outdoor pool, restaurant, Internet. 70 units. 4 stars. $100-300.
- Hôtel-motel Belle Plage, 1310, rue de Matane-sur-Mer, toll-free: . May-October. Internet, daycare, sea view. 68 units. 3 stars. Restaurant (breakfast and supper, $15-50) serves fish and seafood, artisanal smoked salmon, lobster, grilled meat. Children's menu, lunch box. 100 seats, overlooking the sea. $70-182.
- Hôtel-motel La Vigie, 1600, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . Apr-Oct. Non-smoking, pets allowed, whirlpool, restaurant, Internet, sea views. 44 units. 3 stars. $95-105.
- Motel Le Campagnard (Countryman Motel), 632, avenue du Phare Est, ☏ , toll-free: . No smoking, hot tub, units with kitchenettes available, daycare, restaurant, internet access, sea views. 26 units. 3 stars. $80-130.
- Motel La Marina, 1032, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . June to September. No smoking, pets, units with kitchenettes available, outdoor pool, Internet, sea views. 43 units. 2 stars. $97-130.
- Motel Le Beach, 1441, rue de Matane-sur-Mer, ☏ , toll-free: . Pets allowed, laundry, restaurant, bar, billiards, Internet, sea views. 37 units. 2 stars. $56-81.
- Motel Les Mouettes (The Gulls Motel), 143, avenue Fraser, ☏ . Pets allowed, Internet. 16 units. 1 star. from $48.
- Motel-restaurant-Bar Le Portage, 1681, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Restaurant, Internet. 23 units. 2 stars. from $70.
- Camping Parc Sirois la baleine, 2345, avenue du Phare Ouest, toll-free: . Jun-Oct. Electric hookups, dump station, pets allowed, convenience store, laundry room, community room, Internet access, cottage rental. 97 sites. $18-26.
- Camping Rivière Matane, 150, route Louis-Félix-Dionne, ☏ . Jun-Sep. Electric hookups, dump station, propane, pets allowed, laundry room, community room, Internet access, camping equipment rental. 124 sites. $20-28.
For all emergency services, dial 9-1-1.
- Centre local de services communautaires (CLSC) de Matane, 349, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . Community clinic.
- Centre de santé et de services sociaux de Matane, 333, rue Thibault, ☏ . Health centre.
- Nettoyeur et buanderie d'Amours, 97, rue d'Amours, ☏ . Cleaning and laundry
- Auto Tech, 50, rue Émile-Pinel, ☏ .
- Autoplace Matane, 458, avenue du Phare Est, ☏ .
- Garage Marcel Villeneuve, 1786, avenue du Phare Ouest, ☏ . Volvo repair garage.
- Garage Réparations Denis Matane, 458, avenue du Phare Est, ☏ .
- Proxim pharmacie affiliée - Caron et Lavoie, 228, rue Thibault, ☏ . Proxim affiliate pharmacy.
- Banque Nationale, 750, avenue du Phare Ouest (in Les Galeries du Vieux-Port), ☏ .
- Caisse Desjardins, 300, rue du Bon-Pasteur, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Église baptiste évangélique de Matane, 147, rue Thibault, ☏ . Evangelical Baptist church.
- Église évangélique de Pentecôte de Matane, 131, rue Saint-Georges, ☏ . Pentecostal Evangelical church.
- Église Le-Très-Saint-Rédempteur, 251, rue Thibault, ☏ . Roman Catholic church.
- 1 Église Saint-Jérôme (Paroisse Saint-Jérôme de Matane), 527, avenue Saint-Jérôme, ☏ . Roman Catholic church.
- Église Saint-Victor, 686, rue de la Grève (Petit-Matane). Roman Catholic church.
|Routes through Matane|
|Rimouski ← Mont-Joli ←||W E||→ Sainte-Anne-des-Monts → Gaspé|