Sarpsborg is the tenth largest city in Norway with 52,000 inhabitants in the municipality. Situated in Østfold county in Norway it is the largest city alongside the E6 motorway between Oslo (1 hour north of Sarpsborg) and Gothenburg (2 hours south of Sarpsborg). Sarpsborg is the only Norwegian city to have both the archipelago and skiing areas within 10 minutes from the city, and in the city centre is a large park and the largest water fall in Europe. But it also a very industrial city with several paper mills and other factories. Sarpsborg has grown together with neighbour city Fredrikstad to form the fifth largest urban area in Norway, with 100,000 inhabitants.
Sarpsborg celebrates its millennial anniversary in 2016, with the main celebrations happening around Olsok (the annual celebration of town founder St. Olaf) on July 29th. For a list of events, see the Sarpsborg 2016 website (Norwegian language only).
Sarpsborg is served by the Norwegian State Railway. From Oslo the travel time is 1:20, while it is 2:30 from Gothenburg. The trains from Oslo depart 19 times a day, and stops in Ski, Moss, Rygge, Råde and Fredrikstad on the way to Sarpsborg and Halden. Three daily trains connect Gothenburg, Trollhättan, Vänersborg and Ed in Dalsland with Sarpsborg. Around 550 passengers a day use the train station in Sarpsborg.
Sarpsborg is served by the Timekspressen. This bus line to Moss and Oslo departs 21 times a day, and 7 of the daily schedules are prolonged to Halden and 4 to Strömstad. While the Timekspressen goes from the city centre, the GoByBus line from Oslo to Uddevalla and Gothenburg only stops at Quality Hotel Sarpsborg by the E6, 3 km north of the city centre. GoByBus operates 5 times a day. 4 of the daily schedules also stop in Strömstad and Tanum in Bohuslän. 3 of the daily schedules are prolonged to Helsingborg, Malmö and Copenhagen. The most popular bus line in Sarpsborg is Glommaringen with 8 departures to Fredrikstad every hour, and around 2,800 daily passengers. It is also daily bus connection between Sarpsborg and the smaller towns Askim and Mysen in northern Østfold.
Copenhagen's Kastrup Airport (CPH) is the only airport with a direct bus line to Sarpsborg. But with only 3 daily routes and almost 7 hours travel time, it is a poor alternative. More usual is to travel to Oslo's Gardermoen Airport, Torp Airport or Gothenburg's Landvetter Airport and take a train or bus to downtown, and find a bus or train to Sarpsborg there. Doing this the travel time from the airports to Sarpsborg usually will be between 2 and 3 hours.
Arriving from south use Exit 5 or Exit 6 on the European Route E6 motorway. Exit 5 passes Sarpsfossen, the largest waterfall in Europe on the way into the city centre. Exit 6 passes Amfi Borg, a large shopping mall with over 70 stores. Arriving from north use Exit 7, where the Quality Hotel Sarpsborg is situated. Above 20,000 vehicles a day use the E6 through Sarpsborg. By car the travel time from Sarpsborg is 15 minutes to Fredrikstad, 20 minutes to Moss and Halden and 30 minutes to Askim, Mysen and Strömstad. Sarpsborg is a popular transit station for tourists going further north in Norway, because it is half-way between Denmark and the most spectacular fjords and mountains of Norway, around 6 hours from both Copenhagen and Sognefjorden.
The town centre itself is small enough that it is easy to get around on foot. Between Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad buses are frequent. In other directions buses are infrequent, and getting around without driving your own car can be inconvenient.
When driving, try to avoid the bridges across the river during rush hour (7.30 - 8.30 AM and 3.30 - 5 PM), as they are major bottlenecks and congested.
- 1 Sarpsfossen. The largest waterfalls in Europe. Both Rhine Falls and Dettifoss claim to be the largest and most powerful waterfall in Europe, but while those waterfalls have between 200 and 500 m³/s of average water flow, Sarpsfossen have 577 m³/s. Just above Sarpsfossen is a road bridge with a view point. There are also view points on the east side of the falls. Sarpsfossen is only a 10 minute walk from the city centre and train station.
- 2 Kulåsparken. Idyllic city park with an amphitheatre, playground and bandstand
- 3 Hafslund manor. Sundays 12, 1 and 2 PM (June-August). Farm, park and conference center. Home of the climate conferences CC8 and CC9, with several former head of states participating. The park is open to the public year-round, guided tours of the main building from 1762 available on Sundays from June-August.
- 4 Borregaard manor. Farm, park and conference center. Home of the peace negotiations between Israeli and Palestinian leaders leading up to the Oslo Accords.
- 5 Storedal kultursenter. Summer only. Park and experience centre for the blind, centered around the sound sculpture "Ode to Light" by Arnold Haukeland and Arne Nordheim. 60kr.
- 6 Borgarsyssel museum, Vollgaten 10, ☎ . Monday to Friday 8 AM to 3.30 PM (June 19th -). Østfold's county museum with 36 historical buildings, built around the ruins of the 12th century St Nicholas church. 60kr (Children 20).
- 1 Høysand. Beach near Exit 4 from the E6, with several mini golf courses, kiosks, camping, a fishing pier and a Sunday flea market
- Golf courses 2 Borregaard. (9-hole) , 3 Skjeberg. (18-hole) and 4 Øya. (9-hole, pay-and-play)
- 5 Østfold Golfsenter. The largest indoor golf centre in Scandinavia
- 6 Superland. Activity centre at Quality Hotel & Resort Sarpsborg with an indoor water park, climbing, skating track and several other activities
- 7 Eventyrfabrikken. noon - 8 pm. Large indoor play centre for children 139kr.
- 8 Kjerringåsen Alpinsenter. Skiing centre with 4 slopes and lighted cross-country courses
- 9 Inspiria science center. Inspiria science center is provides an adventure in mathematics, science and technology, whereby visitors learn by experimenting themselves. In science, children and adults explore the phenomena of nature, the environment, health and technology through their own activities and in collaboration with others.
- 10 Tunevannet. Popular fresh water bathing spot near the town centre.
- 1 Storbyen, Roald Amundsensgate 36 (By the town square). Weekdays 9 AM - 8 PM, Saturdays 9 AM - 6 PM. Shopping centre in the town centre. Contains 75 shops and restaurants and the town's bus terminal.
- 2 Amfi Borg (Borg Storsenter) (By motorway exit 6), ☎ . Weekdays 10 AM - 8 PM, Saturdays 10 AM - 6 PM. Shopping centre with 70 shops 3 km outside town centre
- 3 Tunejordet (Between motorway exits 6 and 7). Weekdays 10AM - 8PM, Saturdays 10AM - 6PM. Retail area west of the town centre. You will find Sarpsborg's first shopping centre, Stopp (30 shops); two garden centres, electronics superstores Expert and Elkjøp, supermarkets and several car retailers.
Sarpsborg has around 15 restaurants, and a similar numbers of pizza places (mostly take-away). Most restaurant are situated in or near the pedestrian street in downtown Sarpsborg. The city also has a lot of fast food places.
A La Carte
- 1 Brasserie 74, St. Marie gate 74, ☎ . The high-class dinner in the pedestrian street.
- 2 Da Vinci, St. Marie gate 58, ☎ . Elegant à la carte combined with a little bar and an open backyard.
- 3 Østfoldstuene, Bjørnstadveien 20, ☎ . Hotel restaurant at Quality Hotel by Exit 7 from the E6.
- 4 Henry's, Per Gyntveien 16 B, ☎ . 8 AM-10 PM. Typical suburb restaurant serving mostly Norwegian food.
- 5 Egon, Roald Amundsens gate 36, e-mail: email@example.com. Chain restaurant.
- 6 China Plaza, St. Marie gate 93, ☎ . 1-10 PM. Long-running and popular Asian restaurant. Serves Chinese, Thai, Korean, and Nordic meals, sushi and takeaway. Has a large outdoor garden and playroom for children. 150-230kr.
- 8 Lykkens Mathus, St. Marie gate 49, ☎ . Chinese restaurant in Eastern Sarpsborg.
- 9 Tui Wok, Klokkergårdveien 32, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 11 AM-10 PM. Thai restaurant is situated close to Exit 6 from the E6. Main courses: 60-125kr.
- 10 Kampan hus, Torget 4. Thai restaurant by the town square.
- 11 China House, Hafslunds gate 41, ☎ . Mon-Fri 13:00-21:00, Sat-Sun 13:00-22:00, Tue closed. Suburban Chinese restuaurant at Hafslund, east of the river
- 12 La Grotta, Jernbanegata 14, ☎ . Italian food.
- 13 Tzatziki, St. Marie gate 95, ☎ . Greek food in a restaurant with a good view to the pedestrian street.
- 14 Big Horn, St. Marie gate 103, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Chain restaurant with steaks served with bernaise sauce, corn and different sorts of potato. Main courses: 210-560kr.
- 15 Dickens, St. Marie gate 109, ☎ . Longest running restaurant in Sarpsborg, famous for large steaks, and in particular its horse beef steak, the "Stablemaster Steak"
- 16 McDonald's Klokkergården. Near the Amfi Borg shopping centre and motorway exit 6
- 17 Rich. bar. 9 AM - 11 PM. At Hafslund, east of town centre. Longest running fast food place in town, dating back to 1945. NOK 65 - 160.
- 18 Peppes Pizza, Roald Amundsensgate 28 (Storbyen shopping centre), ☎ . 11AM - 11PM (12 AM Fridays and Satudays). Pizza restaurant and take out/deliveries
- 19 Dolly Dimple's, Klokkergårdveien 32 (By motorway exit 6), ☎ . 11.30 AM - 9.30 PM (Fri. and Sat. - 10PM). Chain pizza restaurant which also offers take-out and deliveries.
- 20 Subway, Roald Amundsens gate (by the bus terminal). Mon-Fri 07:00-21:00, Sat 09:00-19:00, Sun 11:00-17:00. sandwiches and salads
Sarpsborg's night life is divided in two: The pubs that are open daily, and the bars that are open Fridays and Saturdays only. Serving is allowed until 1.30 AM in Sarpsborg, and all places must be closed at 2 AM. In the summer months the drinking places are allowed to serve for half an hour extra.
- Pubs: Olsen, Premier (football pub), Neptune, Edvart's, Gamle Sarp, Olavs
- Bars: Oppe & Nede, Dickens, Botcha, Lotus, Rock 51, Førtito
- 1 Quality Hotel & Resort Sarpsborg, Bjørnstadveien 20, 1713 Sarpsborg, ☎ . Located by motorway exit 7, about 2 km west of town centre
- 2 Scandic Hotel Sarpsborg (Hotell Saga), Sandesundsveien 1, 1706 Sarpsborg (Sarpsborg downtown), ☎ .
- 3 Sarpsborg Vandrerhjem Tuneheimen, Tuneveien 44 - 1710 Sarpsborg, ☎ .
- 4 Hotell 1016, Glengsgata 21, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Small hotel in town centre
- 5 Utne camping, Desiderias vei 41 (Between motorway exits 8 and 9), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Camping site with rooms and cabins for rent, 10 km west of town centre. Rooms from 600kr.
|Routes through Sarpsborg|
|Oslo ← Moss ←||N S||→ Halden → Göteborg|