Østfold is a largely a gentle rolling lowland, no areas of this county is above 300 meters altitude.
- Oslo Airport, located 100 km north of Østfold. A major international airport with flights from the USA and major European cities. Use trains to get to Oslo and then to Østfold.
- Moss Rygge airport is located between Moss and Sarpsborg in Østfold. It has low cost airline flights, including from London. There is a shuttle bus to a nearby railway station.
- NSB's intercity trains run hourly between Oslo and Halden. Three daily trains continue to/from Gothenburg in Sweden. Inside Østfold , they stop at Moss, Rygge (airport), Råde, Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg and Halden.
- Some buses from Gothenburg in Sweden stop at E6 near Sarpsborg and at E6 near Moss. Operators Swebus or Nettbuss.
- There are hourly local buses from Strömstad in Sweden to Halden (popular among Norwegians doing shopping). Tickets by credit card onboard or prebought.
- NSB's intercity trains run hourly between Oslo and Halden. Inside Østfold , they stop at Moss, Rygge (airport), Råde, Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg and Halden.
- Østfold Kollektivtrafikk is the company responsible for planning and for ticket sales for local buses in Østfold. Their website is in Norwegian only. Route info also on rutebok.no (also available in English).
Cross the border into Sweden for cheap meat, liquor or cigarettes.