Shaker Heights is an upscale suburb of Cleveland in Northeast Ohio. The town was one of America's first planned suburban communities and has served as the home of many of the region's corporate, legal and health care leaders. It used to be an enclave for the North Union Shaker Community.
Shaker Heights was established in 1822 as the North Union Settlement of the Shaker community, a religious group that established several communities throughout the eastern and midwestern United States. This group was responsible for damming Doan Brook and creating the Shaker Lakes, but the group's strict practice of celibacy eventually led to their demise in the late 1800s.
In 1912 the village of Shaker Heights was incorporated by the Van Sweringen brothers who envisioned a garden community for commuters to Cleveland. The brothers set aside land for churches and schools, laid out curving streets, planted trees, and established a streetcar system (today's RTA) that led directly from the city to downtown Cleveland. The town's strict building codes led to a distinctive architectural identity, and today many of the mansions and other buildings found in the city are featured in architectural texts.
Over the years the town's residents have included a variety of famous business and entertainment personalities including actor Paul Newman, comedian Molly Shannon, and football player Nate Clements.
Books and tuides
- Images of America - Shaker Heights (OH) by Bruce T. Marshall, Arcadia Publishing. Describes the history of Shaker Heights with photographs.
The Blue Line and Green Line provide services to Shaker Heights from Cleveland.
Also, the bus lines 14, 40 and 41 drive through Shaker Heights.
In Shaker Heights bikes must be registered, and wearing a helmet is obligatory.
Cars can be rented at the following companies:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 3596 Lee Rd, +1 216 921-9805
- Hertz, 15809 Chagrin Boulevard, +1 216 752-1282
- 1 Shaker Historical Society, 16740 South Park Blvd, ☏ . Tu-F Su 2-5PM. A small museum about the Quaker sect that settled in the area in the 19th century. $2.
- Shaker Heights Community Rose Garden, on Woodbury Road, between Woodbury and Onaway elementary schools.
- 2 Malcolm Brown Gallery, 20100 Chagrin Blvd, ☏ . Tu-F 11AM-6PM, Sa 11AM-4PM.
- 1 Nature Center at Shaker Lakes, 2600 South Park Blvd, ☏ . Center M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 1-5PM; trails dawn to dusk. Hiking trails, including one wheel-chair accessible boardwalk trail, as well nature programs and exhibits inside the center.
- 2 Shaker Heights Thornton Park, 3301 Warrensville Center, ☏ . This park offers an ice skating rink, tennis courts, basketball courts, skateboard park, batting cages, and a large outdoor swimming pool.
- Shaker Heights Country Club - Pool, 3300 Courtland Blvd. M 11AM to 6PM, Tu-Su 11AM to 7PM.
- 1 Shaker Square (on Shaker Blvd just west of Coventry). Shaker Square is a historic shopping district with independent stores and unique restaurants just north of the city border in the city of Cleveland.
- 2 Shaker Plaza and Van Aken Center, 20119 Van Aken Blvd (Van Aken Blvd and Warrensville Rd). Home to several restaurants and a number of boutique shops.
- 3 Shaker Town Center, 16722 Chagrin Blvd (Chagrin Blvd and Lee Rd). This shopping center offers a range of fast food options, groceries, a book store, and other shopping options.
- 1 Pearl of the Orient Restaurant, 20121 Van Aken Blvd, ☏ .
- 2 SASAmatsu Japanese Izakaya Asian Bistro, 13120 Shaker Square, ☏ . Open until midnight (Su until 10PM). This restaurant is located at the border between Shaker Heights and Cleveland.
- 3 China Star Restaurant, 20166 Van Aken Blvd, ☏ .
- 4 Los Habaneros Authentic Mexican Restaurant, 20255 Van Aken Blvd, ☏ . M-Th 11AM to 10PM, F 11AM to 10:30PM, Sa noon to 10:30PM, Su noon to 9PM. up to $13.99.
- 5 Saffron Patch Authentic Indian cuisine, 20600 Chagrin Blvd, ☏ .
- 6 The Metropolitan Brownie, 3682 Traynham Rd, ☏ .
- 1 Rudy's Pub, 20110 Van Aken Blvd, ☏ . Offering pub food as well as drinks, with happy hour appetizers starting at $1 (Monday - Saturday from 4PM - 7PM).
Shaker Heights doesn't have any hotels. For hotels near Shaker Heights, see Beachwood.
- 1 Shaker Heights Public Library, 16500 Van Aken Blvd, ☏ . Housed in a large former school building, the main Shaker library offers books, multimedia, and computers. There is second branch at 20600 Fayette Road near the Middle School.
- Beachwood - A neighboring suburb that is home to Beachwood Place Mall and numerous other shopping and dining options.
- Cleveland - The major city that dominates the region, Cleveland offers many food, lodging and entertainment options.
- Cleveland Heights - A neighboring suburb that is home to the Coventry District, a funky neighborhood with shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
|Routes through Shaker Heights|
|END ← Cleveland ←||W E||→ Beachwood → Youngstown|
|END ← Cleveland ←||N S||→ Northfield → Akron|