Rurally situated south of the Mendip Hills, the roots of this town lay along the ancient Fosse Way, the Roman road that connected Exeter to Lincoln in an almost perfectly straight line. In the Middle Ages Shepton Mallet developed a flourishing wool trade. During the 18th century the wool industry mostly disappeared and made way for other economic activities, in particular brewing. Today the town is an important producer of cider.
The river Sheppey runs right through Shepton Mallet.
Historic buildings. Over 200 buildings are listed, and walking around town will give you a good glimpses.
- 1 Church of St Peter and St Paul. 12th century parish church.
- 2 HM Prison Shepton Mallet. England's oldest prison still in use, although scheduled to close.
- 1 East Somerset Railway. Mar - Oct + Dec Xmas specials - weekends + some weekdays 4+ trains per day. Heritage steam railway from Cranmore, near Shepton Mallet to Mendip Vale Station. Day rover £9.
- 2 Glastonbury Festival. 5 days in late June. Shepton Mallet is the closest town to the famous festival grounds. £210, book previous October.
- 3 Royal Bath and West. 4 days in late May. Annual agricultural show. The showground is also used for other shows and events. £19.
- 1 The Kings Arms (aka The Dusthole), Leg Square, Garston St, BA4 5LN, ☏ . This inn is a few miles outside Glastonbury and great if you have a car. Day trips to Bristol, Bath, and Stonehenge are all easy from this location, and the facilities are casual and comfortable. The owner offers a cooked breakfast in the morning and leaves out cereal, milk, tea/coffee, and juice. The food is quite good in the western-themed bar & restaurant. £65.
- 2 The Thatched Cottage Inn, 63-67 Charlton Rd, BA4 5QF, ☏ .
- 3 Charlton House Spa Hotel (Bannatyne), Charlton Rd, BA4 4PR, ☏ .
- 4 Talbot Inn, Selwood St, Mells BA11 3PN, ☏ . Country restaurant with rooms, gets great reviews for comfort and cuisine. B&B double £100.
- North to Bath and Bristol
- West to Wells and Glastonbury
- East to Warminster
- South to Wincanton, Sherborne and Yeovil
|Routes through Shepton Mallet|
|Bristol ←||N S||→ Yeovil|