Strathcona County is the immediate eastern neighbour of the city of Edmonton. It consists of a number of communities and landscapes ranging from a highly industrialized east, to a suburban and exurban middle, to an agricultural and forested fringe. The majority of it's population, however, lives in one community, Sherwood Park, which is sometimes claimed as "the world's largest hamlet", with a population over over 70,000 people (2016).
Sherwood Park has Wye Road, Cloverbar Road, Baseline and Sherwood Drive as main roads. Apart from driving one's own car there is also the possibility to use the transit system (bus) which will go right into central Edmonton, the University of Alberta or West Edmonton Mall.
Travel within Sherwood Park is possible by bus, taxi, or rideshare, and to a lesser extent by cycling or walking. The rest of the county isn't practical without a private motor vehicle.
- 1 Art Gallery @ 501, 120, 501 Festival Ave, ☏ . M W F 10AM-6PM, Tu Th 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, Su noon-4PM, closed holidays. Temporary exhibitions. By donation.
- 2 Festival Place, 100 Festival Way, ☏ . A multi-use centre for the arts, community and business and is a point of convergence for the cultural visions, ideas and energies of the community. Each year it offers over 100 professional performances by local, regional, national and international artists.
- 3 Strathcona Science Provincial Park (Take 17 St NW south (exit 276) from Hwy 16), ☏ . The park is in the North Saskatchewan River valley, on both banks of the river, at an elevation of 625 m (2,051 ft) and has a surface of 2.9 km² (1.1 sq mi). For thousands of years this was the site of an annual Aboriginal camp, as it was close enough to the river for transportation and trade and the bluffs of the river valley provided excellent bison-hunting opportunities. The park was established to preserve the site from encroaching industrial development. It was the site of archeological excavations in 1978 to 1980.
- 1 The Broadmoor Golf Course, 2100 Oak St, ☏ . Golf course in the heart of Sherwood Park.
- 2 Millennium Place, 2000 Premier Way, ☏ . Recreation facility including a fitness centre, aquatics centre, indoor track, gymnasium, twin arenas, leisure ice, fitness studios, field house, indoor playground, youth lounge and concession.
- 3 Sherwood Park Crusaders, Sherwood Park Arena, 2015 Oak St. Yearly, September to March. One of two Calgary-based Junior A Hockey teams, play in the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) at the Sherwood Park Arena. Junior Hockey serves as a feeder league for the WHL and the NHL.
- 4 Sunridge Ski Area, 10980 17 Street (within Strathcona Science Provincial Park), ☏ . Nice little ski area on 17 St. with 11 slopes and the ability to ski at night.
- 5 Strathcona Wilderness Centre, 52535 Range Road 212, Ardrossan, AB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. gate locks at 4:30 p.m.. A place to hike or cross-country ski, and also home to children's educational programming. Entry free, programs by admission.
- Baseline Road. Numerous power centres with typical Canadian suburban shopping
- 1 Emerald Hills Centre, 7000 Emerald Dr (on the east side of Sherwood Park between the Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16) and Emerald Drive). About 50 shops and services.
- 2 Sherwood Park Mall, 2020 Sherwood Dr, ☏ . Only enclosed mall in Strathcona County with over 90 shops and services.
- Branches Fresh Food Experience, 23108 Highway 16, ☏ . M-W 10AM-6PM, Th F 10AM-9PM, Sa Su 10AM-5PM. Their menu changes seasonally, offering contemporary comfort food. Pastries, desserts, wood-fired pizza and specialty salads. Vegetarian friendly. Pizzas $14-16, mains $16-18, brunch $12-16.
- La Patrona, 8-2 Athabascan Ave, ☏ . Tu-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM, Su 1PM-8PM. Mexican, Latin, Spanish. Mains $15-27, tacos $12.
- Vicky's Bistro and Wine Bar, 100-501 Festival Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 4PM-10PM. Greek, Canadian, vegetarian friendly. Mains $24-55.
- 1 Barr Estate Winery, 51526 Range Road 231, Stathcona County (just south of Hwy 14 on Range Road 231), ☏ , ✉ Wine@Barr.Ca.
- 1 Best Western Plus Sherwood Park Inn & Suites, 300 Lakeland Dr, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 2 Clarion Hotel & Conference Centre, 2100 Premier Way, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 3 Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sherwood Park Edmonton, 201 Palisades Way (Sherwood Dr & Lakeland Dr), ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 4 Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/Sherwood Park, 950 Emerald Drive (near Yellowhead Hwy (Hwy 16) and Sherwood Dr), ☏ . Each guest room had a microwave, mini-refrigerator and free WiFi access. Free hot breakfast, on-site restaurant, lounge, indoor saltwater pool, 24-hour fitness centre. From $150.
- 5 Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sherwood Park-Edmonton Area, 11 Portage Lane, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 6 Park Centre & Hotel, 2016 Sherwood Drive, toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi, a complimentary breakfast each morning and a well-equipped fitness room. Sawmill Prime Rib & Steak House, an outdoor patio and a state-of-the-art sports and gaming lounge, a wine and spirits shop, a yoga studio, and Namaste Wellness & Day Spa. From $105.
- 7 Super 8 Sherwood Park/Edmonton Area, 26 Strathmoor Dr (near the junction of Yellowhead Trail and Anthony Henday Drive (Highway 216)), ☏ , toll-free: . Non-smoking hotel, free parking, free continental breakfast, free WiFi, a fitness room, a business centre. Each room offers a work desk, HDTV flat-screen TV, microwave, and refrigerator. From $100.
- 1 Strathcona Community Hospital, 9000 Emerald Drive (near Yellowhead Hwy (Hwy 16) and Clover Bar Rd), ☏ . Community-based services and a 24-hour emergency department supported by on-site diagnostic services
|Routes through Strathcona County|
|Edmonton ← North Edmonton ←||W E||→ Elk Island National Park → Lloydminster|
|Edmonton ← South Edmonton ←||W E||→ Tofield → Wainwright|
|END ← Fort Saskatchewan ←||N S||→ Camrose → Strathmore|
|West End ← South Edmonton ←||S N||→ North Edmonton → West End|