Siuntio is a municipality of some 6,000 inhabitants about 50 km west of Helsinki situated on the King's Road (Kuninkaantie). It consists of a few villages, the largest being Siuntion asema ("Siuntio station", railway station and administrative center), Siuntion kirkonkylä ("Church village") and Sjundby. The Finnish national poet Aleksis Kivi lived in Siuntio. The municipality has a 30% Swedish-speaking minority.
From Helsinki follow highway 51 for about 50km towards Raseborg and Hanko, then turn right to the local road 115 to Siuntio. It's a 45-min drive, but watch out for the speed cameras along the highway. If you're coming from Turku, exit the motorway at Lohja, drive a few kilometres south along highway 25 and take local road 115 to Siuntio.
- 1 Siuntio railway station (Siuntion rautatieasema), Ratapihantie. A typical early 20th century wooden railway station, renovated in 2000.
Take the commuter train from Helsinki. Siuntio is served by lines Y, X and L on the Helsinki commuter rail network, for which it is one of the termini along with Helsinki railway station. The station is part of HSL fare zone D. If you're coming from Turku, either change to the commuter train in Leppävaara, Espoo, and backtrack, or get off in Karis and take a bus, as the long-distance trains no more stop in Siuntio.
See Helsinki#Get around for information about public transport fares and tickets
There are a few buses each day from Helsinki, catering to commuters. For some of the buses you need to transfer in Kirkkonummi. The current bus timetables are available at the national public transport journey planner website.
You can well get in by bike from the neighbouring municipalities. Traffic is generally low. If you're coming from west or east, why not bike along the historical King's Road?
See Helsinki#Get_around for information about fares and tickets
In the villages the points of interest are within walking distance from each other. However driving is definitely the best way to move around between the villages. On workdays there are a few buses a day along the main roads, but you will likely be in for a long wait. If you have time, getting around by bike or foot might be an option in the summer.
See Uusimaa#By taxi for information about companies and fares
- 1 St. Peters Church (Pyhän Pietarin kirkko). With its separate wooden belltower.
- 2 Suitia mansion.
- 3 Sjundby mansion (In Sjundby village, 2 km east from the municipal center). Built by a Swedish nobleman in the 16th century. Fishing in the small rapids next to it is quite popular in the summer.
- 4 Fanjunkars park and building (in the municipal center). The park used to be the garden of the house of the famous writer Aleksis Kivi. Now a replica of the house has been built at the old site, functioning both as a museum and a place for literature-related events.
- 5 Gårdskulla Farm Museum. A farm which has a museum showcasing farming equipment and vehicles.
- 1 Pickala golf, Golfkuja 5, firstname.lastname@example.org. Golf course in southern Siuntio.
- Swimming – in the summer there are at least two popular swimming beaches in Siuntio, in 2 Störsvik at the sea and in 3 Lake Vikträsk near the hamlet of Karskog. In the winter the Spa hotel would likely be your best bet.
- SE-Action. Canoes for rent.
There are not really any places for "shopping" in Siuntio.
- 1 [dead link] S-market, Flemingintie 1. M–F 07:00–21:00, Sa 08:00–18:00, Su 12:/0–18:00. Grocery store.
- 2 Tonin Kioski, Åke Tottin tie. Daily 09:00–21:00. A typical kiosk selling magazines, newspapers, snacks and beverages.
- 1 Fleming's, Flemingintie 2. Formerly known as Varucca, this is a basic restaurant in the middle of Siuntio. They have an a la carte menu centered around different steaks as well as buffet lunch.
- 2 Lounaskahvila Tuuma, Korjaamontie 1. Café and lunch restaurant.
- 3 Siuntion Pizza, Siuntiontie 504. You can probably guess what they serve.
- 4 ABC, Rannikkotie 31 (next to highway 51). The gas station next to the Helsinki-Hanko highway has a café with buffet lunch.
- 5 Siuntion löpö ja lounas, Lappersintie 48. The Teboil station has a café where you can grab a tasty hamburger. The only place serving food in the "church village".
- 1 NuCa Bar & Cafe, Flemingintie 7, ☏ . W–F 14:00–22:00; Sa–Su 12:00–22:00.
- 1 Störsby Bed & Breakfast, Störsby 17. A lovely countryside farm equipped to accommodate single travellers or whole families, if needed for all their holidays. The lady running the place speaks all sort of languages (if needed with her hands) and makes you feel welcome.
- 2 Spa Hotel Rantasipi Siuntio, Lepopirtintie 80, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. A large hotel with sports facilities. It was built at as a rehabilitation center for disabled war veterans, in a post-war architecture style featuring loads of concrete.
From Siuntio your choices are more or less east or west along the King's Road:
|Routes through Siuntio|
|Turku ← Ingå ←||W E||→ Kirkkonummi → Helsinki|