South Burlington is a city in Northwest Vermont. It is a suburb of Burlington and is the second largest city in the state. Unlike most sizable Vermont communities, it doesn't have a downtown of any sort since most of the city's development has occurred in the last few decades. The city has intelligently reserved a large tract of land near the busiest intersection in town to construct a downtown, however they haven't yet decided how they want this done. Unfortunately, there's nothing there but a dirt road (possibly the only one in the city) and some trees.
The main point of South Burlington for the average traveler is that it hosts various relatively inexpensive hotels but is still close enough to neighboring Burlington to be quite convenient for drivers who want to visit the attractions of that city.
South Burlington is accessible via I-89 exit 14, US 2, and US 7.
- 1 Burlington International Airport (BTV IATA), Airport Drive, ☏ . Flights arrive daily via several carriers from as far away as Chicago O'Hare and Orlando. Travelers from farther afield will have to make a connection in a larger city. There are non-stop flights to Burlington Airport from the following cities (some cities may be seasonal or only offer service certain days of the week): Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto and Washington-National.
South Burlington is not a very walkable city. Although there are sidewalks, heavy traffic and long distances can make walking unpleasant or dangerous.
Some roads have bike lanes which makes cycling a viable option in some cases. However, be aware that not all of the busier roads have bike lanes, and they are often narrower than in other parts of the United States. Much of Williston Road should be avoided by cyclists.
By public transportation
South Burlington is served by several CCTA bus routes. The routes serve Shelburne Road, Williston Road, the University Mall, and Burlington International Airport.
A car is the easiest way to get around the city, although traffic can be frustrating at times. Williston and Shelburne Roads should be avoided at rush hour.
South Burlington's suburban nature means there isn't a whole lot to see here aside from the standard views of the lake and mountains.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:26PM local time and lasts 3 min. The chances of a clear sky are 30%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio and the Canada–New England border, then across New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
- Magic Hat Artifactory, 5 Bartlett Bay Rd, ☏ . See beer being made, taste some samples, and grab some swag at this well-known brewery.
- Overlook Park (on Spear St. south of Swift St.). This park is really just a few benches and some parking spaces, but the view of the lake and Adirondack Mountains is hard to beat.
- Infinity Brewing, 80 Ethan Allen Dr., ☏ . Small craft brewery with tasting room. If the brewer is around, you might be able to get a tour as well.
- Higher Ground, 1214 Williston Rd., ☏ . See a concert at this local music venue.
- 1 Red Rocks Park, Central Ave, ☏ . Hike one of the many trails to get excellent views of Lake Champlain or go for a swim.
- 2 Wheeler Nature Park (at the end of Swift St. Extension). Hike the miles of trails through forests and fields at this 140-acre park.
- 3 Cairns Arena. Hockey arena.
- 1 University Mall (Located in South Burlington). Vermont's largest mall. This enclosed mall houses a number of chain retailers.
There are also some local options worth exploring.
- 2 Healthy Living, 222 Dorset St, ☏ . Sort of like Whole Foods. This grocery store sells a wide range or organic and fair trade products. It also has a large wine and beer selection, a coffee and pastry shop, and a hot food bar.
- Cheese Traders and Wine Sellers, 1186 Williston Rd., ☏ . The largest wine store in the area. It also has a large selection of cheese and other Vermont products.
- 3 Dakin Farm, 100 Dorset St. This store sells Vermont-made specialty foods.
- 4 Small Dog Electronics, 100 Dorset St. Vermont's version of an Apple Store. Get your iPhone fixed here or buy a new one.
- 5 Vermont Gift Barn, 1087 Williston Rd, ☏ . Here you can find Vermont-made art, crafts, and specialty foods.
- Al's French Fries, 1251 Williston Rd, ☏ . Fast food joint and a Burlington-area institution. Serves burgers, hot dogs, fries, and creamees.
- 1 Burlington Bagel Bakery, 992 Shelburne Rd, ☏ . Contrary to the name, its not in Burlington; however, they do have 15 kinds of bagels.
- Charlie's Rotisserie Chicken, 1160 Williston Rd, ☏ . Rotisserie chicken restaurant. Also serves ribs, burgers, and salads. All the sides are homemade.
- Hana Japanese Restaurant, 150 Dorset St., ☏ . Hibachi, sushi, and sashimi.
- The Rotisserie, 1355 Williston Rd, ☏ . Steak and seafood.
- [formerly dead link] The Wooden Spoon Bistro, 1210 Williston Rd., ☏ .
- Guild & Company, 1633 Williston Rd, ☏ . Steakhouse that sources its meat and produce from local farms.
- [dead link] Lakeview House, 1710 Shelburne Rd., ☏ . Elevated comfort food.
- Pauline's Cafe, 1834 Shelburne Rd., ☏ . Cafe featuring locally sourced ingredients on seasonal menus
- Pulcinella's, 100 Dorset St., ☏ . Authentic Italian restaurant.
- [dead link] Vermont National Country Club, 1227 Dorset St, ☏ . The food is almost as popular as the golf and you don't need to be a member to eat here.
- 2 The Windjammer, 1076 Williston Rd, ☏ . Popular steak and seafood restaurant featuring many local ingredients. Huge salad bar and large wine list.
South Burlington doesn't have much in the way of nightlife aside from restaurant bars and the previously mentioned Higher Ground. The Upper Deck Pub located at The Windjammer has a decent bar and serves a lot of the same food as the restaurant downstairs, often at lower prices. Guild & Company is also well known for the quality of their cocktails. If coffee is what you're after, skip Starbuck's and try the coffee shop inside Healthy Living. If you really want nightlife in the area, head to Burlington or Winooski.
Shelburne Road (Route 7) is generally where you will find the least expensive hotels, while the more upscale ones (though check current prices) are on Williston Rd. Both locations are quite convenient to Downtown Burlington, if you drive.
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 5 Dorset St, ☏ .
- 1 Best Western Windjammer Inn & Conference Center, 1076 Williston Rd, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 5 Dorset St, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Comfort Suites, 1712 Shelburne Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 2 Doubletree Hotel, 1117 Williston Rd, ☏ .
- G.G.T. Tibet Inn, 1860 Shelburne Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3:30PM, check-out: 11AM. This hotel is owned and operated by a Tibetan follower of the Dalai Lama who is friendly and helpful. The front desk is accordingly adorned with pictures of him and is redolent of sweet, mild incense. The rooms are spacious and have furniture that is not in perfect condition but has a slightly faded charm; the couch may be slightly sunken in, but the beds are very comfortable and everything works (or if it really doesn't, the owner, who also works as a housekeeper and electrician, will fix it) — with one exception: You may find the air doesn't circulate so well with the air conditioner, and when you open the windows, the air circulation still may not be perfect, but you will hear the noise from busy Shelburne Road (Route 7). If you believe that noise would prevent you from falling asleep, pay more and go to a different hotel. But otherwise, consider the value you're getting for this price. $79 plus tax per night for any room.
- 3 Holiday Inn, 1068 Williston Rd, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1720 Shelburne Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Quality Inn, 2572 Shelburne Rd (Exit 13 off Interstate 89), ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Indoor pool, sauna, jacuzzi, sundeck, and fitness center, free breakfast, free wireless internet, free airport shuttle as well.
- Smart Suites, 1700 Shelburne Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
|Routes through South Burlington|
|Montreal ← Winooski ←||N S||→ Williston → Montpelier|
|Rouses Point ← Burlington ←||W E||→ Williston → Montpelier|
|St. Albans ← Burlington ←||N S||→ Shelburne → Rutland|
|END ←||N S||→ Jct N → Hinesburg → Middlebury|