Staunton is a city within the Shenandoah Valley in the US state of Virginia. Although small, it is very distinct from neighbouring cities such as Harrisonburg, Roanoke, and Waynesboro, in part due to the city government's emphasis on tourism and the very distinct downtown district.
Staunton is located at the intersection of I-81 and I-64 in the Shenandoah Valley. The downtown section can be intimidating to tourist drivers, but is quite easy to walk. There are several public parking lots near the main attractions.
The Cardinal train, an Amtrak service between New York City and Chicago via cities in West Virginia, Ohio and Indiana calls there three times per week. 1 Staunton station is located at 1 Middlebrook Ave in downtown.
The town is small enough that if you stay downtown, you can walk anywhere you would like to go. There is also a free trolley service provided by the city.
- [dead link] Downtown. Which has a unique character and unique shops and restaurants.
- American Shakespeare Center Blackfriars Playhouse, 10 South Market Street. An exact replica of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Theatre with performances of several of Shakespeare's plays every season.
- Gypsy Hill Park. Featuring an annual Jazz in the Park festival.
- 1 Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library, 20 N Coalter St, ☏ . Has a floor on trench warfare in WWI as well as biographical information, family possessions, and historical background on Wilson's presidency.
- 2 Frontier Culture Museum, 1290 Richmond Ave, ☏ . The museum has 4 historic farms and costumed interpreters that tell stories and answer questions along with showing skills of that time.
- DeJarnette Sanitarium Formerly a sanitarium for the wealthy, then a center for mentally disturbed minors, this now-abandoned building is prominently visible from Richmond Avenue and Frontier Drive.
- [dead link] Praise in the Park, Gypsy Hill Park (at the Gazebo). July 10-August 28: Tu 7PM-9PM. Christian concert series.
- Victorian Festival, a celebration of Victorian history in the downtown. Takes place in the last full weekend of April.
- Stauton Mall.
- The Beverly.
- 1 Depot Grille, 42 Middlebrook Ave, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00AM-10:00PM. $10.
- 2 Hot Wok, 90 Lee Jackson highway (Inside the Staunton Mall), ☏ . Counter-serve options in Staunton Mall supplying familiar Chinese entrees, plus daily specials.
- Mrs. Rowe's.
- [dead link] Mulligan's Pub & Eatery, 152 Fairway Lane, ☏ . The pub’s menu features platters, sandwiches and finger foods. Wednesdays through Saturday, Mulligan’s features nightlife for those 21 or older.
- Pampered Palate.
- Shenandoah Pizza.
- [formerly dead link] Sorrel's, 24 S. Market Street, ☏ . Sorrels, named after Jackson’s trusty horse, specializes in delicious appetizers,tasty grilled paninis, seasonal specialties and comfort foods from our new menu including the House Lasagna.
- Staunton Grocery.
- Texas Steakhouse.
- 3 Wright's Dairy Rite, 346 Greenville Ave, ☏ . a classic 1950s-era diner
- 4 Zynodoa, 115 E Beverly St, ☏ . Fine contemporary dining from locally sourced ingredients. Interesting cocktails and a wide range of food.
- 1 Queen City Brewing, 834 Springhill Rd, ☏ . AN unique storefront which carries on a fine Southern tradition: making your own alcohol. Patrons can use the facility to create their own beer or wine, which are aged at the facility until ready to be picked up. For those not so DIY-inclined, Queen City Brewery also offers their own specialty beers and lagers, fruit wines, and non-alcoholic soda pops. Friday nights are "Brewgrass Fridays", and local bluegrass bands play while the storefront offers free samples. No cover.
- 1 Comfort Inn, 1302 Richmond Ave (on Interstate 81), ☏ .
- 2 Econo Lodge East, 1031 Richmond Ave (I-81 exit 222), ☏ .
- 3 Frederick House, 28 North New Street, ☏ , toll-free: . A bed-and-breakfast.
- 4 [dead link] Holiday Inn Golf & Conference Center, 152 Fairway Lane (I-81 exit 225), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM.
- 5 [formerly dead link] Inn at Old Virginia, 1329 Commerce Road, ☏ , toll-free: . Quaint inn.
- 6 [formerly dead link] Microtel Inn and Suites Staunton, 200 Frontier Drive, ☏ .
- 7 Red Roof Inn, 42 Sangers Ln (I-81 exit 222), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 10PM. 65.
- 8 Sleep Inn, 222 Jefferson Highway (off Interstate 81), ☏ .
- 9 Stonewall Jackson Hotel, 24 S Market Street, ☏ , toll-free: . A grand old hotel, restored in 2005.
- "Monticello", home of Thomas Jefferson, is in Charlottesville and only a 45 minute drive away..
- "Grand Caverns" is a large show cave with spectacular shield formations and reflecting pools. 20-25 minutes to the northeast of downtown.
The Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah Valley National Park's Skyline Drive are nearby. The Park costs $15 per car in May 2011. The Blue Ridge Parkway is free. Great scenic overlooks and stopping points for small historical recreations or hikes.
|Routes through Staunton|
|Charleston ← White Sulphur Springs ←||W E||→ Charlottesville → Washington, D.C.|
|Charleston ← White Sulphur Springs ←||W E||→ Waynesboro → Charlottesville|
|Hagerstown ← New Market ←||N S||→ Roanoke → Wytheville|
|Fairmont ← Elkins ←||W E||→ Waynesboro → Charlottesville|