Jump to navigation Jump to search
Steele is a town in the Coteaus and Plains area of North Dakota. It has a population of about 761 people.
The town is named after the founder, Wilbur Steele, who bought the land from the Northern Pacific Railroad and erected a 3-story brick building in 1881 hoping to convince politicians to select Steele as the state capital. When that scheme did not succeed, he sold the building to the county, and it is now the Kidder County Courthouse (see below).
- By car: exit 200 (south) off I-94, about 40 miles east of Bismarck
- Kidder County Courthouse (Downtown), ☏ +1 701 475-2632, fax: +1 701 475-2202, Rgraf@state.nd.us. Open Monday through Friday from 9AM to Noon and 1:00 to 5PM. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Kidder County Museum (lower floor of the Community Center), ☏ +1 701 475-2684. Displays include household, military, school setting, restaurant setting, and doctor's office artifacts. Shown by appointment.
- Sandhill Crane. A giant, 38.5 foot tall steel sculpture stands at the entrance to Steele from I-94. It is a reminder that the town sits on flyways for ducks, geese, cranes and pelicans that use the numerous ponds and lakes that surround the town. Informational site by the statue.
- Birding (see above), ☏ +1 701 475-2133. Request a birding drive booklet from Steele City Coordinator, PO Box 112, Steele, ND 58482. Kidder County, ND is considered one of the top bird watching destinations in the world.
- Cottonwood Golf Club, ☏ +1 701 475-2416.
- Coffee Cup Fuel Stop, 620 Mitchell Ave N, ☏ +1 701 475-2274.
- Lone Steer Restaurant/Lounge, 615 Mitchell Ave N, ☏ +1 701 475-2221.
- Pirates Cafe, 123 Mitchell Ave S, ☏ +1 701 475-2144.
- The Depot, 102 Mitchell Ave N, ☏ +1 701 475-9469.
- Chasers (10 miles west of Steele, in Driscoll, ND 58532), ☏ +1 701 387-9425.
- Lone Steer Motel and Campground, 615 Mitchell Ave N, ☏ +1 701 475-2221.
- The OK Motel & Campground, 220 3rd Ave SW, ☏ +1 701 475-2440.
|Routes through Steele|
|Dickinson ← Bismarck ←||W E||→ Dawson → Fargo|
|Rugby ← Harvey ←||N S||→ Dawson → Ipswich|