Stourport-on-Severn is a town of 20,000 people (2011) in Worcestershire. In the area close to Stourport there are several large manor and country houses, among which Witley Court, Astley Hall, Pool House, Areley Hall, Hartlebury and Abberley Hall (with its clock tower) are particularly significant. Hartlebury was the residence of the Bishops of Worcester from the early 13th century until 2007, and Astley Hall was the home of Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, who died here in 1947.
Created at the highest feasible navigable point on the river Severn, one of only 2 towns in the world that owes its existence to a canal (the Staffordshire and Worcestershire). You could drive through and not even know the canal is there, or the basin - but it is, and it is lovely.
- 1 Stourport canal basins.
- 2 Hartlebury Castle, Hartlebury, Kidderminster, DY11 7XZ, ☏ +44 1299 250416. Modernised mid-13th century as a fortified manor house, bishop's palace and a museum. The castle features a tour with talking portraits and hidden speakers with a narrative based around Bishop Pepys, his wife and his daughter Emily. The castle features many rooms including a long corridor with a timeline rug starting with the Anglo-Saxons to when the British announced their withdrawal from the European Union in 2016. There are also a couple of on-site museums.
- 3 Witley Court and Gardens, Worcester Road, Great Witley, Worcestershire, WR6 6JT, ☏ +44 1299 896636. A spectular ruined stately home, 10 mile north west of Worcester. The ornamental fountain has been restored - when running, its central plume shoots up over 100 feet. adults £6.90, children £4.10, concessions £6.20.
- 1 Stourport Boat Club (SBC) (Stourport Rowing Club), The Boathouse, Dunley Rd, DY13 0AA, ☏ +44 1299 823352.
- 1 Brinton's Arms, 75 Bewdley Rd, DY13 8XX, ☏ +44 1299 822723.
- 1 Stourport Manor (Hallmark Hotel), 35 Hartlebury Road, ☏ +44 330 028 3421.
- 2 The Elms, Stockton Rd, Abberley WR6 6AT (on A443), ☏ +44 1299 896666. One helluvan entrance to this splendid comfy hotel & spa in a Queen Anne mansion, great dining. B&B double £120.
- 1 Bewdley
- 2 Kidderminster
- 3 Droitwich
- 4 Cleobury Mortimer
- 5 Hagley
- 6 Bromsgrove
- 7 Stourbridge
- 8 Worcester
|Routes through Stourport-on-Severn|
|Telford ← Bridgnorth ←||N S||→ Torton → Droitwich Spa|
|Wolverhampton ← Kidderminster ←||N S||→ Ombersley → Worcester|